•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Why A Counter Weight On Stellarvue M001V alt-az mount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jeffz

jeffz

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:46 AM

I have seen a few posts with a counter weight on the Stellarvue M001V mount. What is the benefit? If there is a benefit, can someone tell me the thread information?

I use this mount on a carbon tripod with my AT 72ED scope. Currently I do not have a counter weight. 

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 09 July 2020 - 04:23 PM

It's really very simple--it keeps the weight balanced directly over the center of the tripod and reduces any tippiness in the tripod.

• Terra Nova and jcj380 like this

#3 jeffz

jeffz

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:23 PM

Thanks

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:07 PM

While I agree with Don on his point, I would say that it is also beneficial to even the pressure loading on the Teflon bearing.

If the weight gets very uneven, mounts with Teflon bearings (often used for a clutch) can pinch and distort (wave) under an asymmetric load causing extra resistance.  If loads are light, this is not really an issue, but as the tubes get bigger and heavier, the moment of balance moves progressively further from the azimuth axis giving a more asymmetric load to nylon bearings and clutch washers.  In the absence of any compressible material, using a counterweight is less necessary but any time a nylon or Teflon bearing is used, the best result, which is not the same thing as an acceptable result, which means that each individual picks the threshold where they deem it necessary, the loading should be symmetrical.  

From Stellarvue:

This is a smooth mount that uses a 2" Teflon bearing and a stainless roller bearing on each axis

Edited by Eddgie, 11 July 2020 - 12:07 PM.

• biz likes this

#5 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:16 PM

"Why A Counter Weight On Stellarvue M001V alt-az mount?"

To counter... weight.... crazy.gif

Better to have, and not need. Than to need, and not have. wink.gif

If per-chance you decide to, or get the opportunity to get a different/bigger telescope, wouldn't it be nice to be able to do some fine balancing?  waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics