•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Nippon 9 by 35

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 neutron 58

neutron 58

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:19 AM

I have a pair of Nippon Kogaku (later Nikon) 9 by 35's that my Dad bought in the early 1950's when he was stationed in Japan after WW2. I never though much about them until lately when I started having an interest in astronomy. Last night I cleaned them up (inside and out) and looked at the sky. HOLY SMOKES! I was so cool, much better than I expected! It was still not 100% dark and I looked up at Vega and saw probably 75 stars! One was clearly a double star which I later found out is a double double (episolon Lyra). From what I read on here, the 9 is very decent power for astronomy and the 35 although small, makes the black background darker so it strangely may help (vs. a 50mm or 60mm).

Anyway....my question: How do you think these binos compare to a modern entry level 10 by 50 such as Nikon Aculon, or even a 10 by 42 ProStaff 7S? Is it worth the spending to get modern glass and 10 power?

Steve

Edited by neutron 58, 09 July 2020 - 10:01 AM.

#2 Yarddog

Yarddog

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:54 AM

I had a similar one marked the same except mine was 7X35. It must have been after the war but before they began putting the Made In Occupied Japan on them.

My particular one was a bit better than the lower end Nikon's of today. Unfortunately it had a soft coating and scratched easily.

• neutron 58 likes this

#3 gunut

gunut

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sussex Wisconsin

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:25 PM

I have a 9x35....good quality bins....mine are a little stiff to focus...but for dark sky use they work fine.....seem as good as modern lower end stuff...

• neutron 58 likes this

#4 whosthebadman

whosthebadman

Vostok 1

• Loc: upper midwest? upper midbest.

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:11 AM

I had a pair of these that I gave to my brother.  Nice and sharp, and as you've seen, very capable of pointing at any stars.  I would keep them over a pair of Aculons, 100%.   The may not be waterproof, but the optics were better from what I remember, and they're certainly lighter in your hands.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics