•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comets and LP filters?

filters imaging LP
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 klaussius

klaussius

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:19 PM

So... in a few weeks, Neowise will be visible on this side of the planet.

Like everybody else, I'm getting ready to image it, and suddenly I'm unsure whether to use the CLS filter or not.

On the one side, part of the coma emits light due to ionization, as I understand it. But part of it doesn't, as it's just dust.

So, is using a CLS filter worth the trouble or will it hurt more than it will help?

I'll be shooting way low on the horizon so I'll be aiming at the thickest LP in my neighborhood. That makes me lean toward using the CLS filter, but I'm still unsure. I've never imaged comets before.

BTW, by then it will be much dimmer. Otherwise it would probably be moot, since right now it's visible naked eye. But by the time it gets to be visible over here, it will be magnitude 11.5 and decreasing, so I gather the filter will matter by then.

#2 markb

markb

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:58 PM

I think they were called something else back in the eighties and nineties, but here's Lumicons current offering

Sorry about the commercial link, but it's what popped up

I'm sure they're available elsewhere, and I would start with astronomics, our host, as always.

https://www.highpoin...t-filter-lf3070

• klaussius likes this

#3 klaussius

klaussius

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:12 PM

Oh, nice. I think I can get a filter like that. It's like a wide pass OIII filter.

#4 mborland

mborland

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:35 PM

I took the image below this morning. I originally didn't use a filter, but the glare from the city of Chicago was too much, so I added an Optolong UHC filter. After some processing with Pixinsight, I got a decent image. The sky was rapidly brightening so I only got a single decent exposure, but I'm ready to try again.

Other details: Olympus EM1 Mark II, 60s, ISO 800, 300 mm f4 Pro with 2x Teleconverter, mounted on an iOptron CEM40EC.

--Michael

Neowise2020F3-2020-07-09s.jpg

#5 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:37 PM

I think they were called something else back in the eighties and nineties...

Lumicon Swan band filter.

#6 klaussius

klaussius

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:52 PM

Perfect. I have a Lumicon dealer over here, I just sent him an email, but from mborland's comment it seems my CLS should help if I don't get it in time. Nice.

Thanks a lot.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: filters, imaging, LP

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics