•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Video Set-up Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jaws70

jaws70

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 11:57 PM

Trying to get back into the sport with the new found downtime.  Based on money, time and light pollution I'd like to figure out how to use my Sony A9 for video. I have a 16" Orion Goto Dob that is in all sorts of bad shape (need to fix/sell) and an inexpensive Celestron reflector on a single-arm goto mount (not really sure which one it is, I believe it is 6").  Can I simply buy a 2" adapter for the Sony for the 6" scope?  And if so, what type of software is required to process the video?  I see lots of options for AP, some for video, though not sure if they will work with the A9.  

I appreciate any and all advice.

Edited by jaws70, 10 July 2020 - 12:08 AM.

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:48 AM

When you say "... use my Sony A9 for video." what exactly does the A9 output?

What physical video connection?

What video standard?

In general if the output is an analog video (NTSC, PAL, etc.) out you can use an inexpensive USB video frame grabber and webcam display software such as SharpCap to display, stack, manipulate and possible save on a Windows PC. If however you only want to display this video signal you won't need a PC at all, you can also use a video monitor with the appropriate connection (composite video would be one default capability).

If the output is a digital video (SDI, HDMI, etc.) then you can still use a USB video frame grabber but it will have to be a more expensive model and you'll need to really investigate the how the frame grabber's drivers present the video frames. In many cases you'll need to use some very specific (and non astronomy oriented) image display and editing software that's intended for use with the specific USB digital video frame grabber. Like with the analog video you an also use just a video monitor instead of a PC. Here if the output of the A9 is HDMI you'll have lots of inexpensive monitor/TV options to choose from.

Edited by mclewis1, 10 July 2020 - 07:49 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics