•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3 Way Head on a Star Adventurer Pro?

accessories astrophotography dslr equipment
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cwine

cwine

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:11 AM

Hi! New here and had a quick question. I have just got a Manfrotto 055 tripod and Manfrotto 3 way head, and plan to do a mix of landscape, wide field astro (18-55mm) and astro with a telephoto lens (200mm). I see a lot of people putting ball heads on the Star Adventurer Pro for wide field tracked shots, and I was wondering if I could put my 3 way head on it instead? I'm thinking it would work the same but haven't seen it done. Any advice? Thanks!

#2 N5SE

N5SE

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:39 AM

It should work with the ball head adapter, which you get with the pro pack. I believe you connect the ball head adaptor to the dovetail and the 3/8 female adapyer will accept the 3/8 screw on the ball head adapter.

You could potentially buy another ball head adapter and you could have a guiding option for long exposures.

Also you could use a hot shoe adapter on your DSLR and attach a guidescope. 

I know you didn't ask about the latter but I thought it would be useful infor for you.

-N5SE

• cwine likes this

#3 cwine

cwine

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:46 AM

It should work with the ball head adapter, which you get with the pro pack. I believe you connect the ball head adaptor to the dovetail and the 3/8 female adapyer will accept the 3/8 screw on the ball head adapter.

You could potentially buy another ball head adapter and you could have a guiding option for long exposures.

Also you could use a hot shoe adapter on your DSLR and attach a guidescope. 

I know you didn't ask about the latter but I thought it would be useful infor for you.

-N5SE

Perfect I was really hoping it would work like that - I was worried that I wouldn't be able to use it! Thanks! For now I can't afford any sort of guiding, or a good ball head, but good to know for the future!

#4 N5SE

N5SE

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:08 AM

https://www.bhphotov..._ball_head.html

One of those comes with the pro pack.

#5 erictheastrojunkie

erictheastrojunkie

Viking 1

• Loc: Salt Lake City

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:41 AM

I wouldn't use the ballhead adapter since it blocks the polar scope, on top of that without using a declination bracket and counterweight the 3-way head (which I've used on the Star Adventurer) will create a very imbalanced load for weight balancing. Here is a imgur gallery of how I had my manfrotto 3-way head on my star adventurer, this is a very stable setup that gives you a lot of flexibility with different focal lengths:

https://imgur.com/gallery/948I6TG

#6 N5SE

N5SE

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:58 PM

I wouldn't use the ballhead adapter since it blocks the polar scope, on top of that without using a declination bracket and counterweight the 3-way head (which I've used on the Star Adventurer) will create a very imbalanced load for weight balancing. Here is a imgur gallery of how I had my manfrotto 3-way head on my star adventurer, this is a very stable setup that gives you a lot of flexibility with different focal lengths:

https://imgur.com/gallery/948I6TG

Just straight on to the dovetail plate. Nice.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, dslr, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics