•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best software for large mosaic image capture?

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nathanm

nathanm

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:07 PM

A lot of astroastronomy programs 

APT - Astro Photography Tool

SGP - Sequence Generator Pro

NINA - Nighttime Imaging N' Astronomy

Voyager

and probably others will automate image capture - programming the telescope mount to go-to a location, execute a series of photos with specified exposure time, then go to the next one etc.

I am interested in doing with this with both DSLR and a QHY camera and ideally I could use the same software for both.  That is why Backyard EOS is not on the list above.   

I have only shot manually, or with a motorized panorama head in the past.   Now I am looking at a full equatorial go-to mount.

A lot of the mosaic software seems to be oriented around capturing a specific small target, and taking a few frames around it.  I am interested in doing large scale mosaics that could easily go up to 100 - 300 positions (also called panels or panes), with short to moderate focal length lenses.   The optics will be camera lenses 50mm through 200mm.  

I would also like autofocus at the beginning of the mosaic, and possible even part way through.

Some mosaic planning software seems to be oriented around being used mainly before the imaging night.   While I might do that, I also want somethnig that isn't too hard to change or update in the field.    

What are your experiences and recommendations?

#2 scadvice

scadvice

Vanguard

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:18 PM

I'll guessing N.I.N.A.

Since it's free I would download it and go on the discord site for advice. Also to start watch these videos.

https://www.youtube....v8apj_eXQ-tkuXG

Edited by scadvice, 10 July 2020 - 01:23 PM.

#3 ChristopherBeere

ChristopherBeere

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: London UK

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:36 PM

[redacted]

Edited by ChristopherBeere, 10 July 2020 - 01:43 PM.

#4 psandelle

psandelle

Gemini

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:15 PM

Voyager has a great mosaic maker AND super-fast focus routines.

Paul

#5 nathanm

nathanm

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:55 AM

The Voyager mosaic interface looks very nice but it has a limit of 100 tiles.    I would like to do some shots on the order of 200 - 300 tiles.   

#6 AtmosFearIC

AtmosFearIC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:08 AM

Ive worked on LARGE mosaics with SGP but I’ve found that any more than 55ish targets causes SGP to crash. So in cases like this is either make sure that I’m doing less than 50 panels in a night or make sure to open up a new sequence when the first 50 is complete and start another 50 mid way.

It would require a fair bit of scripting but it could be done in MaximDL.

#7 anon1354732

anon1354732

Mercury

• -----
  • Loc: Turin - Italy

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:47 AM

The Voyager mosaic interface looks very nice but it has a limit of 100 tiles.    I would like to do some shots on the order of 200 - 300 tiles.   

we have limited just for resource limits, if you need we can open to 300 if your PC are able to manage

Edited by Leonardo70, 14 July 2020 - 06:47 AM.

• psandelle likes this

#8 nathanm

nathanm

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:11 PM

Yes, that would be great, my PC will be able to manage.   I use large SSD disks for captures like this, with a Primaluce Eagle.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics