•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

An effective black paint for telescopes

ATM EAA Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#51 Matthew Paul

Matthew Paul

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, New York

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:19 PM

It was the nylon I believe. I have the bag of it at my shop, I'll have to check. You can flock the inside still by cutting a thin cardboard circle and attaching a knotted loop through a hole punched in the center of the circle. Then push the cardboard up just shy of touching the objective. Use a very thin layer of epoxy and then the loose flicking. But I think that adhesive backed flocking paper would probably be best for the guide scope situation, or the SCT.  Edmund scientific sells a good variety of flocking paper, adhesive back and non backed.

It's always good to have options stored away in the brain for future use. 

#52 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:45 PM

I have found that if you use ULTRA FLAT CAMO rustoleum you can get a very black non reflective surface, but the traditional paint process leaves the surface smooth and prone to some reflection.  If you put your part down in a tube, like an old sonotube, you can mask off the part  with painters tape and leave exposed what you want painted.  You then mist paint down from above the part, you essentially fog up the tube with black paint rather than spraying directly from 8 inches away.  When the tube is fogged up you throw an old rag or tshirt over the opening and let the paint settle. Repeat this several times and you get this sort of textured surface of droplets which is extremely non reflective.  It does take longer and you do need to flip the part and spray from both sides, but it leaves no smooth shiny surface.   

Edited by calypsob, 31 July 2020 - 06:49 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATM, EAA, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics