•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lens Cleaning - Meade LX90

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jack911

Jack911

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:55 AM

I have a ten-year-old LX90 that has been in storage for most of that time. 

I’ve recently set it up and initial impressions are that the outside of the main lens could probably do with being cleaned. 

I seem to recall Meade advising great caution cleaning lenses which have UHTC coatings; even saying not to do it at all. 

On the other hand, advice on the Tele Vue web site seems to indicate that cleaning such lenses is not an issue. 

What’s the general consensus of opinion out there?

#2 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:31 AM

While it’s probably not necessary to go to his extreme, here’s what I’ve used for my Meade LX90 with UHTC coatings. Clay Sherrod has said that he developed this formula specifically while searching for a safer way to clean Meade’s UHTC optics. I can no longer find the reference, as it was in the now defunct Yahoo Meade LX90 user group.  I mixed up a couple of spray bottles of this solution several years ago, and haven’t needed anything else for any of my scopes (although I do use just plain 91% isopropanol when I’m feeling lazy).

ASO fine optics CLEANING SYSTEM

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics