•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

One zwo camera or two?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EEBA

EEBA

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:39 AM

Hello CN family.
I am in a dilemma and need some advice. I currently am imaging with my heq5, WO zenithstar 73 with Idas d2 , flatener, wo 50 mm guidescope and main camera a d5300 Nikon. Still messing around with it. The focal length is only 430 mm. So, I got the aperture itch and started putting things to my celestron C8 sct to get close images. I use the same mount (total weight imaging train 16 lbs, about half weight capacity of my mount). I have the celestron OAG, which gave me a hard time to reach back focus with the reducer and the d5300 nikon. I read about the limitations on unmodified dslr getting nebula color, so I started thinking to buy a ccd dedicated camera. I found good references about the zwo asi 071 MC pro. (I want gradual increment of learning curve. No jump straight to mono). I used bintel astrophotography tools and apartmently, I can use the camera with my C8 (1280 FL) and probably a future scope with a FL 900 in between. The problem is the camera is not appropriate for my current WO zenithstar 430mm.
Should I buy the camera and only used it with my sct or do I have any other choice?
Thanks for your help

#2 endlessky

endlessky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Padova, Italy

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:17 AM

Hi, I have a Nikon D5300 as well. I have astromodified it myself (I removed the stock filter and I replaced it with a UV/IR cut filter) and I have to say I am quite satisfied with the results.

I ran the calculation with Bintel tool using the ZWO ASI 071 MC Pro and 430mm focal length, and it results in slight undersampling. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think it should be fine with your current refractor. With 430mm you are doing widefield images, anyway, so even if the details are not as sharp as with the D5300 (which give you a slightly better sampling), you can get better details using the C8, when you will be doing some more narrow field of view imaging.

Have you considered modifying the D5300, either yourself or by sending it to some store that offers the modification? If you'd ever decided to do it yourself, I can give you some tips. Know that the hardest part, for me, was not opening the camera and removing the stock filter. These operations were pretty straight forward and easy enough. The hardest part was cutting the UV/IR cut filter (I bought a 48mm round filter, as I couldn't find any premade rectangular filters that would fit the dimensions of the original one) and that was really tedious and difficult.

Anyway, back on topic. I would say the camera you chose could be suitable for both telescopes, I wouldn't worry about a little undersampling. You could always use dithering and then do bayer drizzle integration, to recover the resolution. I have been using it with pretty much all my images with the D5300 (and a 300mm Nikkor lens) and it works great.

#3 EEBA

EEBA

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:24 AM

Thanks Endlesssky. I live close to LA California. If you are in the area, do you know any place that modify cameras and place the UV cut filter?

#4 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:06 AM

Asi2600pro - no amp glow - 16 bit dynamic range - aps-c - back illuminated - deeper well pixels. Works great.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • EEBA likes this

#5 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:55 AM

Hi EEBA,

I have the 071 and use it with several scopes at 430, 550, 1400 and 2000mm focal length.  I wouldn't worry too much about over/undersampling to start with.  That's an optimization of a system, and IMHO not all that necessary.  That camera will work fine with any scope.

Technically, it's a bit undersampled on the 430 and 550mm, and about right for the 1400 and 2000.  But I get great images on any of them.

-Dan

• Scott Mitchell and EEBA like this

#6 endlessky

endlessky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Padova, Italy

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:36 AM

Thanks Endlesssky. I live close to LA California. If you are in the area, do you know any place that modify cameras and place the UV cut filter?

Unfortunately I live in Italy... Sorry, can't help you about this!

• EEBA likes this

#7 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:59 PM

The problem is the camera (ASI071MC-Pro)  is not appropriate for my current WO zenithstar 430mm.
Should I buy the camera and only used it with my sct or do I have any other choice?

Why is it inappropriate? Your image scale will be 2.29"/px which is undersampled but hardly awfully so. Your current image scale is 1.86"/px, not that different. If you dither, you can use drizzle methods to recover any pixelation in your images. 

Too much is made of slight oversampling and undersampling. In my experience (I also live in Southern CA) pixel scales between 0.5"/px and 2.5"/px are all quite workable. 

The more expensive ASI2600MC-Pro gives you the same image scale as your Nikon (so you can use it without any worries with your WO) , and will definitely work well with the C8 + F/6.3 reducer. I use same pixel size with an Edge + F/7 reducer which is more challenging, and like it. 

But I think the ASI071MC-Pro will work just fine for you.

• EEBA likes this

#8 EEBA

EEBA

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:01 AM

Thank you . I currently am In la Quinta, Ca (close to Joshua tree). I was enjoying the darkish sky here. I was able to capture the neowise comet. I will order the asi 071 pro soon because it might take a while to complete and deliver the camera. No store has anything available. Clear skies

#9 EEBA

EEBA

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:11 AM

My first comet  this morning. From La Quinta ,CA.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20200712-150237_Gallery.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics