•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Low cost must/good to have accessories.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Droro

Droro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:30 AM

Hi,
I live in a place where we don't pay tax for imports less than 100$, so when I buy stuff it's good to add low cost things as much as possible. As a newcomer to the hobby, just wondering if there are low cost (but not low quality) things you would recommend. Thanks.

#2 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:35 AM

What do you need?

#3 ButterFly

ButterFly

Viking 1

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:36 AM

A vest with a bunch of big pockets for eyepieces and stuff, prefereably one that can fit over whatever you are wearing.  Mesh hunting/fishing vests are great.

A chair that goes up and down.  This is on the border of the budget.

A folding music stand that can lie flat.  It's great for books, charts, and cups of coffee.

A good dimmable red flashlight.

If it gets cold where you are, electric socks.  Probably the best investment to make the most of my investment so far.

A Telrad.

• izar187 likes this

#4 Droro

Droro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:44 AM

What do you need?

Not sure, am relative newcomer, that's why I asked. 

#5 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:04 AM

In general term I believe that is better to have fewer objects of higher quality than a lot of cheaper ones.

Anyway, the list is pretty much the usual: eyepieces (3-5 should be enough, even if often we'll end with dozens of them...), maybe a Barlow lens, nebular filters (at least an UHC type), a red torch (if do not want to craft it by yourself; in that case those whose brightness could be adjusted should be preferred), a star chart and a pocket atlas (virtual ones working on your phone/tablet are a viable alternative: SkySafari6 is excellent).

Depending on the telescope's model may need also a battery of some sort, a stardiagonal (if not included or if judge the bundled one too bad; but I strongly suggest to rush to replace it unless are sure it is bad), maybe a better finder (finderscope or red dot finder: with small telescopes I suggest the latter).

Telescope kits are usually bundled with all the required stuff (except nebular filters, which are however "pricey") so I suggest to use that for a while to understand its limits, and only then start to sink money for upgrades

#6 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:23 AM

What have you got? And where are you?

Does make a fair difference to what you need or might need.

Last year I bought a set of insulated mittens with individual internal fingers - I have warm hands all the time.

Recently got hold of 2 pointers that are direct, so they are relatively unaffected by the cold.

Have 2 big down jackets but they are over your threshold.

Lithium batteries for power is common.

Eyepieces more difficult as you may end up paying shipping on each eyepiece if bought individually and that may match buying say 3 or 4 and paying 1 lot of shipping and 1 lot of import taxes.

#7 Droro

Droro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:35 AM

What have you got? And where are you?

Does make a fair difference to what you need or might need.

Last year I bought a set of insulated mittens with individual internal fingers - I have warm hands all the time.

Recently got hold of 2 pointers that are direct, so they are relatively unaffected by the cold.

Have 2 big down jackets but they are over your threshold.

Lithium batteries for power is common.

Eyepieces more difficult as you may end up paying shipping on each eyepiece if bought individually and that may match buying say 3 or 4 and paying 1 lot of shipping and 1 lot of import taxes.

I'm in a warm place so no problem with cold :). I have a 80mm ed on a az gti. I have some eyepieces and a UHC-E Filter.  Red light torch is a good idea, and lithium batteries. 

#8 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:38 AM

Rigel Starlite Mini - cheap and effective, often good to have in multiples if you observe with others

Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas - also cheap and effective

R-Sky hooded observing vest - this is getting redundant, but this is also worth more than it costs

Build yourself a Denver Chair from cheap lumber using plans found free on the web - Google it

• izar187, mkothe, dapalmer and 1 other like this

#9 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:53 PM

I would consider most optical accessories to be beyond the budget, but here is a list of some things under $100 that I find really useful:

• Observing vest with lots of pockets, and ideally a huge hood that can block out stray light when you are at the eyepiece.
  • Telrad
  • Pocket Sky Atlas
  • Aurora Astro Dim Fuzzy Finder bookmark that is transparent with a Telrad reticule sized for the Pocket Sky Atlas (hard to find; I bought mine from these guys, you could also check with Cloud Break Optics)
  • Glow in the Dark Tape for mitigating trip hazards
  • Sky Safari
  • Rigel Starlite dimmable red flashlight (I've used many brands, but this is the one that I like best)
  • Velcro wire ties to tidy up loose cables

Well, that's a start, off the top of my head...

• izar187, mkothe and dapalmer like this

#10 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Ranger 4

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:23 PM

Some sky atlases have small print that is made smaller by the dark, so a small magnifying glass can help

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics