•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A few in Aquila.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rich5567

Rich5567

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hornsea. East Yorkshire. England. U.K

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:07 AM

Hi all,

The nights are starting to draw in again, albiet slowly, so I managed to grab an hour under the stars for the first time since the end of May. The night became very dewy quickly, with the scope feeling wet within half an hour or so.

Began at BU 659 AQUILA, Mags of 6.1 and 12.0, with a sep of 14.7". The faint companion became visible at 203x, and I had a much better view at 338x. Nothing spectacular but nice after a month or so of not observing.

Next onto an old favourite and one I've not seen in years, 52 AQUILA, aka STF 2583. 6.3, 6.7, with a sep of 1.4". A nice tight pairing of pale yellow stars. Split at 338x.

STF 2593 AQUILA, 8.7, 10.3, witha 12" sep. A good view at 203x,  but no colour noted with this pair.

And finally STF 2590 AQUILA,(V1466) 6.5, 10.3, 13.6", Noticed at a lower power (135x).

So only a quick session, but nice to be out again as the nights slowly get darker.

On a side note, I have seen a fair number of noctilucent clouds this season too, with a few faint ones last night.

Although not as good as last year when we had some very bright ones around the solstice.

Rich.

• gfeulner, chrysalis, flt158 and 3 others like this

#2 flt158

flt158

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:49 AM

Thank you for this your latest report, Rich!

Short sessions is the right way to go about things right now in England and Ireland. 

My 3 weather websites are totally unreliable at the moment.

They keep stating I should be experiencing clear skies for the last 2 nights. 

But they are 100% wrong!

Last night (Friday) in particular they all said I was due to have minimum amounts of cloud.

But I look out at 9,10, 11 pm and my skies are completely overcast. 

It is most frustrating. 

I'm beginning to think there is no such thing as a reliable meteorologist. 

Anyway I am pleased you are having a better time than me. 

Aquila the Eagle is a wondrous constellation. 

Last summer I started working my way through the 1st page of double stars in Aquila in Robert Burnham's Celestial Handbook. 

Pi Aquilae which you call 52 Aquilae is one of my favourite true binaries. 

Although I am surprised to learn that Stelle Doppie says it is an uncertain binary. 

At 112X, I cannot quite split the 2 stars. 

So 140X is required to see the tiniest of black space between the 2 stars. 

Here's to hoping the both of us can have clear skies again soon. 

Very best regards from Aubrey.  

Edited by flt158, 11 July 2020 - 08:28 AM.

• nerich and Rich5567 like this

#3 rugby

rugby

Mariner 2

• Loc: London Ontario Canada

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:06 AM

A good choice of pairs Rich. Thanks for the effort. I ended my session two nights ago with 52 Aquilae because by 11:30 pm Altair nicely clears all the mature trees that surround me. Should try an 8-24 zoom on PI to watch how the star transforms into a double.
  • flt158, nerich and Rich5567 like this

#4 nerich

nerich

Viking 1

• Loc: Greensboro, NC

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for the report, Rich! The forum has been quiet in recent weeks, between the bright skies for you Northern observers and the summer storms for us Southeastern U.S. folk. So it's nice to read some new observations!

Like Aubrey and Rugby, I'm also a huge fan of Pi Aquilae. I first observed it in 2018 with both my 150mm Mak and my 80mm refractor. In the 80mm, being just a hair below Dawes, it made a figure-8 rather than a true split, but was a fine sight nonetheless.

I haven't observed the others you mentioned, but looking through my notebooks I found 11 Aql and 15 Aql from approximately the same time period two years ago. 11 Aql is an especially nice unequal double. 

• flt158 and Rich5567 like this

#5 c2m2t

c2m2t

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pembroke, Ont.

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:48 PM

Hi All!

As Nick was saying, several reasons for the shortage of reports. That 60 day period from early June to early August are my least favourite days to observe or image...nights are much to short...choring for self and family seems to take over and leaves the tank rather empty by sundown and this year, heat and insects have been especially bad.

Thankfully today, the skies opened up and provided some much needed rain so those chores gave way to an opportunity to process some images...and Rich's fine report provided the targets. I have about 250 systems imaged in Aquila but less than 20% have been processed so it was nice to have the impetus to process a nice trio of systems. 52 Aquila is much too compact for my setup, but BU 659, STF 2590 and STF 2593 provided some nice star fields. As I have alluded to on several occasions, these constellations in or near the galactic plane provide many more visible field stars so the processing time jumps considerably...better part of 6 hours to clean up these 3...so a good days work, but 3 more ticks on the side of the scope!grin.gif

So here they are...great report Rich! For the records, STF 2590 is a 5 star system and STF 2593 is a triple. Regarding STF 2593...conditions must have been especially good since I was able to capture both B & C at 3.7" of separation. Rich...were you able to perceive any colour for the "B" component? My image is showing a nice orange hue...unfortunately, what I am able to upload here does not do it justice.  

Cheers, Chris.

P.S. A little bonus...WEB 8

Attached Thumbnails

• BU 659-7027-pt-ns-ID.jpg
  • STF 2590-6995-pt-ns-ID.jpg
  • STF 2593-7008-pt-ns-ID.jpg

• flt158, nerich, river-z and 1 other like this

#6 Rich5567

Rich5567

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hornsea. East Yorkshire. England. U.K

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:29 AM

Hi again all,

Thanks for the kind words, all appreciated.smile.gif.

Aubrey: it's been mostly overcast here for a good month or so, I suppose it's payback for the great three months we had of clear skies earlier in the year.

Rugby: I had a good split on 52 AQL at 338x, with hints of a double by 203x. Would love to try a zoom on binarys to try and get the exact point when a point source turns into two points.

Nerich: A quick look at my database shows I've yet to observe 15 AQL, but I do have an observation of 11 AQL from a few years ago. A/B only, C not seen, poor night according to my notes. Bright skies up here are slowly turning darker, roll on August.

Chris, nice pics as alwaysbow.gif,  with BU 659 you have captured it as I saw it (obviously, but I hope you know what I mean), STF 2590 was A/B only, the other companions escaped detection that night, the scope was dewing up rather quickly and this could account for it.

Was set up for a session last night when my 12 volt power adapter failed, so no drive for the scope. Not good if you wish to 'up the power' as you all know. So last night was a waste, really annoyed me. I did try to split 16 VUL, this being first on my target list, but at 203x plus it was not in view long enough.

Ordered another adapter off Amazon today, It had better work, if the scope drive itself is broken I'm stuck. The scope is around 30 years old so its seen some use.

I have used the scope of course without the drive, but for prolonged high power views on binarys, I need that drive.

Fingers crossed.

Rich.

• flt158, nerich and c2m2t like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics