•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is and EQ6 too big?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MellonLake

MellonLake

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:29 AM

I a visual observer and at least for the foreseeable future have no plans for AP.

I have been slowly adding to my telescope and mount collection for the last year. A couple months ago I added an AZ4 to my list of mounts and have really enjoyed it. The AZ4 is super simple and grab and go and is going to get a lot of use with the 120ST.

I have been looking for a better EQ mount (I have an EQ1 for the 90mm MCT) and was thinking about an CG4 or EQ5 but recently found a very well priced older EQ6 (non-goto). The EQ6 is a pretty heavy duty mount and really overkill for my 120ST and super overkill for my 90mm MCT.

My thinking is that I have the AZ4 for grab and go and the 10" dob will always be there for DSOs but I am thinking that the EQ6 is a good EQ mount for visual that will be able to grow with me should I want to get a bigger telescopes to EQ mount.

So I guess my question is... Is an EQ6 really just too big for visual? Will I just not use it because it is a lot of mount to set up (60lbs). Would I be better with a CG4 or EQ5?

Thanks

Rob

Edited by MellonLake, 11 July 2020 - 07:25 AM.

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:16 AM

I'd say the EQ6 is overkill, however If you plan to get larger OTA's it might be a worthy addition.

For me personally, I like the smaller Alt/Az Goto mounts as they're lighter (no CW's), no Polar Align and have GOTO.

#3 SonnyE

SonnyE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:38 AM

I think if you are going to err, always err toward the heavy side. Stability is a good thing.

The EQ-6 may seem to heavy for your needs, but better that, than to try and trade up and fall short.

What about getting the EQ-6, then if you do absolutely hate it, you could resell it.

The EQ-6 may be more than you want to haul around if you go in the field a lot.

My Dad told me, "If you try it, and you don't like it, at least you tried."

"But, if you don't try, then you will always wonder."

• Waldemar and MellonLake like this

#4 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:27 AM

I a visual observer and at least for the foreseeable future have no plans for AP.

I have been slowly adding to my telescope and mount collection for the last year. A couple months ago I added an AZ4 to my list of mounts and have really enjoyed it. The AZ4 is super simple and grab and go and is going to get a lot of use with the 120ST.

I have been looking for a better EQ mount (I have an EQ1 for the 90mm MCT) and was thinking about an CG4 or EQ5 but recently found a very well priced older EQ6 (non-goto). The EQ6 is a pretty heavy duty mount and really overkill for my 120ST and super overkill for my 90mm MCT.

My thinking is that I have the AZ4 for grab and go and the 10" dob will always be there for DSOs but I am thinking that the EQ6 is a good EQ mount for visual that will be able to grow with me should I want to get a bigger telescopes to EQ mount.

So I guess my question is... Is an EQ6 really just too big for visual? Will I just not use it because it is a lot of mount to set up (60lbs). Would I be better with a CG4 or EQ5?

Thanks

Rob

To my mind you can never have too much mount for stability. I upgraded to my g11T so I would have a stable platform for visual use of my longer refractors. That said, a mount so heavy you won’t use it is no good either. Comes down to what scopes you intend to use and what you are comfortable lifting. Only you can answer that. My eq 6 is now my travel mount for my c11 and 5 inch triplet. It is excellent for visual use with them.

Jmd

#5 MellonLake

MellonLake

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:36 AM

I have been using the non-goto EQ6 for a little more than a week now.  It is a very heavy mount but extremely stable.   I took it and set it up on the rocky shoreline at the cottage to view Jupiter and Saturn and it was a pretty majour undertaking (up a rough 30 ft. hill and 200ft. to the site).  I don't think I will be doing that again (too much work).   While I am very happy with this used mount purchase, it is certainly not grab and go!

I took some time and aligned the polar scope with the RA axis and then did a formal polar alignment.   It have not had a polar scope before and am very pleasantly surprised by how well this achieves alignment.   Objects stay in place in the eyepiece for far longer than I would ever have expected (literally hours).   

Was able to take some amazing pictures of the milk-way and Neowise with my Pixel 4 phone unguided on the mount.  

Thanks for the help.

milkyway.jpg

neowise2.jpg

• jdupton likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics