•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade ETX-125 Red Dot Dead...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 onimico70

onimico70

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:46 AM

I have had my ETX-125 for over 10 years, and the red dot died. Meade no longer makes them and I am having trouble finding options? The Red dot attachment to the scope if very thin and I have bought 2 other red dots that just won't tighten hard enough as its very small. I saw other mounts but it appears I have to drill into the scope?? I am not going to do that, so can anyone help me here? What options do I have? 

THANK YOU!!!

#2 scottinash

scottinash

Vostok 1

• Loc: Tennessee, USA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:03 AM

Assuming you changed the battery wink.gif .....are you familiar with Mike Weasner's Mighty ETX site? He has several LNT related references posted.   www.weasner.com/etx/techtips.html

Edited by scottinash, 11 July 2020 - 07:07 AM.

• onimico70 likes this

#3 onimico70

onimico70

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:38 AM

Assuming you changed the battery wink.gif .....are you familiar with Mike Weasner's Mighty ETX site? He has several LNT related references posted.   www.weasner.com/etx/techtips.html

Yea the switch on it broke, hundreds of ons and offs over the years. I took it apart and still couldn't get it to work. I have read Weasers old site many times over the years and his info is very old, was hoping someone came up with something newer. Thanks Scott!

#4 scottinash

scottinash

Vostok 1

• Loc: Tennessee, USA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:55 AM

Yea the switch on it broke, hundreds of ons and offs over the years. I took it apart and still couldn't get it to work. I have read Weasers old site many times over the years and his info is very old, was hoping someone came up with something newer. Thanks Scott!

Good luck!

• onimico70 likes this

#5 drew79

drew79

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:21 AM

I had the same problem with my ETX 90 pe!

I got a mount adapter 3D printed and got a red dot with a dovetail attachment.  Meades mounting attachment seem rather weak and incompatible any other manufacturer.  I used Thingiverse to get a 3D printing file for my scope. Lots of options are available for Meade scopes on the site.  I just used a local 3D printer service it cost less than £8 in the uk.

https://www.thingive...s&sort=relevant

#6 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:23 AM

You could mount an extra Synta-style finder shoe using double-sided tape.  It is either Scotch or 3M that makes a very strong-binding tape that has held-up well for me when I faced a similar situation.  It isn't so strong that could pick up the OTA by grabbing the finder, but it is sturdy enough to to hold a light-weight red dot finder very securely.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics