•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

a nice surprise!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Don-richardo

Don-richardo

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: tupelo ms.

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:52 AM

hello folks! my brother in law expressed interest in viewing so a couple of years ago i got him an old orion 6" dob, deep space explorer 

for christmass, he loved it! but i knew it was a bit of a pain to use and got him a zhumell 8" i found at a pretty good price. well of course

he loved that even better, and i wound up with the 6" back. i use an old orange tube C8 and and think it's awesome! but i collimated the 6"

(best i could with that secondary) and WOW! this is a great little scope! jup, a was great at 80X detail was way more than i expected for 

this little dob! so much so i'm thinking of rebuilding it and keeping it myself! so did i just get lucky with the optics or were these built that good?

Rick

• cuzimthedad, havasman and Barlowbill like this

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:05 AM

If you looked through it and got as excited as you sound, you probably got a good one. Congrats. Consider keeping it for a while.

Maybe upgrade "that secondary" so you can collimate it reliably. Then try some higher magnification on Jove, see how you like it. Maybe a keeper. Not unheard of.
  • Don-richardo likes this

#3 scottinash

scottinash

Vostok 1

• Loc: Tennessee, USA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:11 AM

My son had a Celestron Starhopper 6" f/8 Dob years ago and it too gave wonderful views (especially with quality eyepieces) and was so easy to set-up and go hunting!    He sold it to a local club member as he upgraded and that club member still has it and says he will never let it go.   My advice is to keep it as a grab and go if you have room! 

#4 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:24 AM

Expect it is a 150 f/8 so in a way you can expect good results.

An f/8 scope is going to be a good all rounder and to produce the mirror will be relatively straight forward. The reason many optics are questionable is that we keep pushing them as far as we can, and I suggest often for no reason at all.

There are fast f/4 scope that get sold and they have to be poor, making an f/4 mirror takes a lot of effort. And minimum effort is actually put into them.

Fast is really only relevant to imaging, and then I suspect less then 50% of the time.

Few years back someone here wanted to make a "planet killer" reflector. The advice was f/8, f/10 even f/12.

I know the "fast" philosophy is from imaging but it seems to have taken over for everything, even when irrelevant and often now negative on the result.

So in a way I expect the 150mm f/8 to be good, maybe not as bright as a 200mm f/5 but would expect a better sharper final image. Especially on a planet which is decently bright. Wait for M42 to come round.

Did you ever own a basic manual camera during the 70's?

The rule/guide was set it to f/8 and use that as the results were generally good. Use other if you knew what you were doing and why - as in a portrait.

• gwlee and Don-richardo like this

#5 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:53 AM

Those 6" DSE scopes had EXCEPTIONAL mirrors and I will NEVER get rid of mine. The scopes were made for Orion by Discovery Optics, and the mirror figuring was overseen by Terry Ostahowski who is now widely recognized as one of the best mirror makers in the world. I've done extensive modifications to mine and it's barely recognizable anymore (2" focuser, adjustable counterweight system, no-tool collimation knobs, improved bearings with friction brake systems, carry handle on the tube, ventilated mirror cell, flocking opposite the focuser, tube baffles, mirror recoating and catseye spotting), but it's the same mirrors and they are razor-sharp. Hang on to it; it's a real gem!

Edited by Zamboni, 11 July 2020 - 09:53 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics