•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASCOM Log Files - Something to be aware of

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:13 AM

Long ago I enabled ASCOM logging and, I guess, forgot about it.

I have just discovered over 6 million ASCOM log files consuming a significant amount of disc space. Windows Explorer doesn't handle large numbers of files very well and is taking hours to delete them. I have turned all ASCOM logging off for now.

I thought that this was worth mentioning. Don't turn ASCOM logging on and forget about it.

• Dynan likes this

#2 MJB87

MJB87

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:37 AM

Moved from Celestron Computerized Telescopes for a better fit

#3 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:13 PM

After deleting these files, which took several hours, I have gained 60 GB of storagesmile.gif.

Something else that has come to my attention is that the ASCOM log files were stored in Onedrive. I would not have specified that location so either Windows or ASCOM must default to Onedrive. I am still investigating.

EDIT: The Onedrive issue seems to be that the C:\Users\UserName\Documents is synced with Onedrive by default. I have seen posts on the Internet as to how to turn it off in Onedrive Settings but I haven't found where to do it on my (current) version of Windows.

Edited by Rac19, 11 July 2020 - 10:01 PM.

• Dynan likes this

#4 555aaa

555aaa

Vendor (Xerxes Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA, USA

Posted 20 July 2020 - 12:14 PM

Interesting. A log file is supposed to be created when you have the log file option checked in the little window that you get when you select a device from the ASCOM chooser, but the log file should only be created on an ASCOM connection and closed on a disconnect. That normally happens once per night. How many log files do you get per night?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics