I don't know whether or not I've made some progress, or it was just the seeing improvement that helped. I experimented some more with the backspacing to see if changing that would help (or hurt) why I simply can not seem get any thing that looks like good focus no matter how carefully and slowly I turn the focus CCW from out of focus - focus - out of focus.
Anyway... here's what I managed to get of Mars after going through iterations of record/stack/sharpen on Jupiter for well over an hour with different spacers/filter setups. And also experimenting with "rind" reduction/control in post processing (after using Registax 6).
I'm using time now (to try) to get everything sorted out for the Mars 2020 opposition later in October.
Edited by Stricnine, 11 July 2020 - 08:55 AM.