•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A small step - Mars

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Stricnine

Stricnine

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: DFW Area, TX

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:22 AM

I don't know whether or not I've made some progress, or it was just the seeing improvement that helped.  I experimented some more with the backspacing to see if changing that would help (or hurt) why I simply can not seem get any thing that looks like good focus no matter how carefully and slowly I turn the focus CCW from out of focus - focus - out of focus.

Anyway... here's what I managed to get of Mars after going through iterations of record/stack/sharpen on Jupiter for well over an hour with different spacers/filter setups.  And also experimenting with "rind" reduction/control in post processing (after using Registax 6).

I'm using time now (to try) to get everything sorted out for the Mars 2020 opposition later in October.

2020-07-11 0949 Mars 26 v1a PI v1a

Mars 2020-07-11 on Astrobin:
get.jpg?insecure

Edited by Stricnine, 11 July 2020 - 08:55 AM.

• TorstenEdelmann, zjc26138, Sunspot and 18 others like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: behind you.

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:32 AM

superb shot ,love the ice cap . thanks .

#3 RunningMan

RunningMan

Messenger

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:54 AM

Great image!!

#4 danJR

danJR

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:56 AM

Very nice well done thanks for sharing

#5 jesco_t

jesco_t

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hamburg, Germany

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:18 AM

Nice shot. What did you image it with? Just curious.

#6 Stricnine

Stricnine

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:23 AM

Nice shot. What did you image it with? Just curious.

EdgeHD 9.25", 2x Powermate, and ASI290MC.

• jesco_t likes this

#7 Foc

Foc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:04 PM

You are getting very nice detailed images now. So your opposition photos should be super!

#8 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:58 PM

Excellent result, love the colour cast you achieved. Probably worth showing at a larger scale on CN as well  :).

Was it you, or the seeing? Probably both. I've found that I've needed to hone my technique on the poor nights, just so that when everything comes together and seeing cooperates, I'm ready to take full advantage. Am I there yet? No, but I'm getting closer.

I've also found that focusing on Mars to be the most difficult target - it never seems to come into sharp focus for me. But then the stacking and sharpening routines do their magic and voila!

Andrew

#9 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:59 PM

I don't know whether or not I've made some progress, or it was just the seeing improvement that helped.  I experimented some more with the backspacing to see if changing that would help (or hurt) why I simply can not seem get any thing that looks like good focus no matter how carefully and slowly I turn the focus CCW from out of focus - focus - out of focus.

Anyway... here's what I managed to get of Mars after going through iterations of record/stack/sharpen on Jupiter for well over an hour with different spacers/filter setups.  And also experimenting with "rind" reduction/control in post processing (after using Registax 6).

I'm using time now (to try) to get everything sorted out for the Mars 2020 opposition later in October.

Mars 2020-07-11 on Astrobin:
get.jpg?insecure

Howdy neighbor!!  Great picture.  Don from Waxahachie, TX

#10 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:15 PM

Hi Stricnine,

I think you are probably nailing the focus, based on that very fine image, but I wondered if you had tried the option in Firecapture that allows you to adjust the appearance on the screen without changing your capture settings? This is a great aid to focus because often the optimal capture settings can create too much glow in the image for easy focusing. Eg for capture, gamma should be turned off, but you can adjust gamma and brightness in the screen appearance to increase contrast to help you get good focus. On my FC there is a button above the capture screen that calls up the screen adjustment sliders - maybe try that! I have found it a real help. (Sorry I can’t send screenshots as I am away from the computer).

Regards

Mark

#11 Stricnine

Stricnine

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:07 AM

Hi Stricnine,

I think you are probably nailing the focus, based on that very fine image, but I wondered if you had tried the option in Firecapture that allows you to adjust the appearance on the screen without changing your capture settings? This is a great aid to focus because often the optimal capture settings can create too much glow in the image for easy focusing. Eg for capture, gamma should be turned off, but you can adjust gamma and brightness in the screen appearance to increase contrast to help you get good focus. On my FC there is a button above the capture screen that calls up the screen adjustment sliders - maybe try that! I have found it a real help. (Sorry I can’t send screenshots as I am away from the computer).

Regards

Mark

I have not tried that, I will give that a try the when I get a chance.

#12 Stricnine

Stricnine

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:44 AM

Howdy neighbor!!  Great picture.  Don from Waxahachie, TX

Howdy!  Thanks.

#13 Stricnine

Stricnine

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 01:02 PM

Processed all over starting from Wavelets in Registax through post-processing in Pixinsight.  The goal was to reduce and/or remove some artifacts/elements in the final image that kept bothering me.  I also brightened the image up some.

2020-07-11 Mars v3 PI v1a

Astrobin:

get.jpg?insecure

David

Edited by Stricnine, 12 July 2020 - 01:02 PM.

• Rick Runcie, eros312, dhammy and 1 other like this

#14 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:10 PM

To my eye you have got a really good handle on the processing here- the right degree of sharpening and the colour looks great.

Mark

#15 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:51 PM

Here is the screen adjustment tool in FC, which allows you to adjust contrast without mucking up your capture settings:

Screen adjustment.jpg

You need to click on "Enable Screen Adjustment".  Of the sliders available in the menu, I have found Gamma and Brightness are the important controls for improving contrast in the feed so you can focus better. These will need to be readjusted for different planets and sessions though.  If after making these adjustments you find that it is still difficult to focus, it is probably the seeing that is the issue and you should go back to bed!

Regards

Mark

• dhammy likes this

#16 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:06 PM

Here is the screen adjustment tool in FC, which allows you to adjust contrast without mucking up your capture settings:

attachicon.gifScreen adjustment.jpg

You need to click on "Enable Screen Adjustment".  Of the sliders available in the menu, I have found Gamma and Brightness are the important controls for improving contrast in the feed so you can focus better. These will need to be readjusted for different planets and sessions though.  If after making these adjustments you find that it is still difficult to focus, it is probably the seeing that is the issue and you should go back to bed!

Regards

Mark

I'm finding that the "averaging" feature in the pre-processing has been helpful for focusing as well.  You just have to remember to turn it off before you start your capture.  For dim targets like collimating the "live stacking" item in pre-processing is almost as good as MetaGuide for collimation near focus.

• Lacaille likes this

#17 Stricnine

Stricnine

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:12 PM

To my eye you have got a really good handle on the processing here- the right degree of sharpening and the colour looks great.

Mark

Thanks, Mark.  And Thanks for the focusing tip.

David

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics