•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI1600MM not warming up properly via NINA

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bokchoy Ninja

Bokchoy Ninja

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:31 AM

Hello all,

Looking for some help with NINA and warming up my ASI1600MM after an imaging session.

It seems that after every night's run, when I go to warm up my camera from -15C, it sort of hangs somewhere around 0C and stops warming up (last night this was at around 20% power). I've had to disconnect from the camera, restart NINA, and try to resume warming from there.

I don't have this problem if I'm testing the camera/software inside the apartment, it only seems to happen after a long run.

Would really like to find out if it's an issue with my imaging camera as I'm still within the defect-return window, but not for long

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks!

Edited by Bokchoy Ninja, 11 July 2020 - 11:43 AM.

#2 Bokchoy Ninja

Bokchoy Ninja

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:38 AM

The founder of ZWO apparently says that it doesn't matter how quickly the camera is warmed up, and that it can just be powered off:

https://bbs.astronom...opic.php?t=7156

But still, I'd like to find out what's going on...

• dswtan likes this

#3 scadvice

scadvice

Vanguard

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:02 PM

In nina  under camera settings you have two things that control the warming under camera.

Warming temp- if the warming temp is set too high it will not reach the set temp. But that is not your issue... I'm thinking it's the warm up time limit is being reached before it is warmed up enough. Try increasing the time.

Sorry I can't give you the exact names of the parameters as I'm not near my mount to connect nina and look at the screen under camera.

Review #1 video here:

https://www.youtube....v8apj_eXQ-tkuXG

Edited by scadvice, 11 July 2020 - 12:03 PM.

• Bokchoy Ninja likes this

#4 Bokchoy Ninja

Bokchoy Ninja

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:05 PM

In nina  under camera settings you have two things that control the warming under camera.

Warming temp- if the warming temp is set too high it will not reach the set temp. But that is not your issue... I'm thinking it's the warm up time limit is being reached before it is warmed up enough. Try increasing the time.

Sorry I can't give you the exact names of the parameters as I'm not near my mount to connect nina and look at the screen under camera.

Review #1 video here:

https://www.youtube....v8apj_eXQ-tkuXG

The specified warmup time is the minimum warmup time, right? So should that really be the issue? I'll check out the video though, thanks

#5 Bokchoy Ninja

Bokchoy Ninja

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:07 PM

Oh wait... that video directly addressed the issue I'm having!

"Also, the ZWO driver has a bug that happens from time to time so when you use the 'minimum duration' it gets stuck in the middle for some reason that is a mystery. So in other words, don't use [the minimum duration slider]."

• dswtan likes this

#6 Bokchoy Ninja

Bokchoy Ninja

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:15 PM

Oh wait... that video directly addressed the issue I'm having!

"Also, the ZWO driver has a bug that happens from time to time so when you use the 'minimum duration' it gets stuck in the middle for some reason that is a mystery. So in other words, don't use [the minimum duration slider]."

Although... that seems to be addressing issues during cooldown when using the minimum time slider.

What about warmup?

#7 scadvice

scadvice

Vanguard

• Vendors

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:26 PM

I'm running Rev 1.10 RC003 of NINA . See if updating fixes your issue.

Otherwise I suggest going on the NINA Discord site...

New updates

• In the Equipment > Camera window, the camera cooling is now activated only by using the Snowflake button, and what was the Cooler On/Off control now only reflects current state of the camera's cooler
  • UI for temperature control has been split into cooling and warming sections. To cool the camera the user can specify a temperature and an optional duration, while for warming only an optional duration is required
  • Clicking on warming or cooling without specifying a duration will show the cooling/warming progress based on target temperature and current camera temperature

Edited by scadvice, 11 July 2020 - 12:33 PM.

#8 Bokchoy Ninja

Bokchoy Ninja

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:39 PM

I'm running Rev 1.10 RC003 of NINA . See if updating fixes your issue.

Otherwise I suggest going on the NINA Discord site...

New updates

• In the Equipment > Camera window, the camera cooling is now activated only by using the Snowflake button, and what was the Cooler On/Off control now only reflects current state of the camera's cooler
  • UI for temperature control has been split into cooling and warming sections. To cool the camera the user can specify a temperature and an optional duration, while for warming only an optional duration is required
  • Clicking on warming or cooling without specifying a duration will show the cooling/warming progress based on target temperature and current camera temperature

I forgot what wasn't working for me when I tried 1.10, I think it might have been my electronic focuser that wasn't getting recognized for some reason... Will try again

#9 scadvice

scadvice

Vanguard

• Vendors

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:18 PM

If your focuser isn't working likely it's the focuser's SW is not recognized you may need to reload it or reload ASCOM.

Like I said get on NINA Discord...you can talk directly with those who created NINA. They are very helpful.

#10 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:35 PM

Just FYI, I don't use a duration when warming my ASI183mm-pro in NINA.

NINA just turns off the cooler.

Since ASI has clearly stated that's just peachy, it's what I do -- and avoids the ASI driver issue. :)

#11 Bokchoy Ninja

Bokchoy Ninja

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:40 PM

Just FYI, I don't use a duration when warming my ASI183mm-pro in NINA.
NINA just turns off the cooler.
Since ASI has clearly stated that's just peachy, it's what I do -- and avoids the ASI driver issue. :)

Ok I'll give that a shot. Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics