•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWOASI-071MC Pro and NEOWISE

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zigee

zigee

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:45 AM

Hi All,

I haven't had many opportunities to test out my ZWOASI-071MC Pro, but i was wondering if it is possible to take a picture of the NEOWISE comet and my refractor? Or am I better off using a DSLR?

#2 dswtan

dswtan

Vostok 1

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:30 PM

Since the 071 is basically an APS-C DSLR sensor, it's more about your preferred capture techniques and set-up. There are a couple of threads on similar topics, in case you've not seen. Personally I found a 200mm on APS-C DSLR to be appropriate a few days ago (2s, f/8, ISO 100). I did use a tracker, but more for convenience of framing. Wider still likely better in the coming days, if you're more interested in the size and shape of the tail than the "pointy end". Lots of examples coming through on spaceweather.com, Astrobin, etc. to see how others are capturing. 

https://www.cloudyni...maging-neowise/

https://www.cloudyni...-comet-neowise/

https://spaceweather...p?title=neowise

My modest effort - will wait for evening apparition for next attempt! This is a square crop from the full APS-C frame, just slightly smaller than the full height. The tail is MUCH longer than shown here (see everyone else's shots :-)), but I was fighting the dawn by this point as I have hills in the way of a lower (darker) aspect. 

C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE)

Edited by dswtan, 11 July 2020 - 12:35 PM.

#3 Scott Mitchell

Scott Mitchell

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta-ish, GA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:55 PM

Yeah, I agree with dswtan. The 071 would be fine. It just depends on what you pair with your that or your DSLR with. A reasonably wide field is desired here. I don't think it would have married well with my ~400mm refractor, but 135mm lens was pretty good. I'd say anywhere in the 200's would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • dswtan likes this

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:37 PM

I took one using my ASI183mm-pro and my GT71 refractor a few mornings ago.  It turned out fine (B&W).

Of course, it depends on the FOV of your scope/chip...

Attached Thumbnails

• NeowiseOverPalomar_07082020.jpg

• dswtan and R Botero like this

#5 zigee

zigee

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:10 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses. Great pics! My cls-ccd filter came in so I plan on taking pics of the comet with it tonight

#6 Scott Mitchell

Scott Mitchell

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta-ish, GA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses. Great pics! My cls-ccd filter came in so I plan on taking pics of the comet with it tonight

I would guess that you'd be better off without a filter in this case. I don't know for absolutely certain, but I believe the comet is issuing pretty broad spectrum, not like an emission nebula.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics