•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Twilight 1 Mod Redux

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 writerguy

writerguy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:47 AM

I recently bought an AT102ED 4" refractor and an ES Twilight 1 mount. I love the setup, but like many others decided I wanted to find some way to reduce the shakiness of the mount at high magnifications. While poking around the forums, I found this post by JimOfOakCreek describing his elegant solution, and thought I'd give it a try. 

There was only one problem: While I normally live in NYC, I am currently riding out the pandemic with my family in northern Wisconsin, and have limited access to tools and supplies. Also, I have absolutely *no* DIY skills. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

But I was encouraged by the fact that Erin described her own successful recreation of Jim's solution in that original thread. So I immediately reached out to both Jim and Erin and began peppering them with inane questions. And I do mean inane. As in, "Do you paint first and then varnish, or varnish first and then paint? And if you don't mind my asking, what *is* varnish, anyhow? And should I apply it to the rest of the telescope as well?"

Jim and Erin were incredibly kind and helpful (not to mention patient), and after a few false starts, I was able to recreate the modification. (I did take the precaution of ordering *two* sets of wood pieces on the assumption that I would both my first attempt. I was right.)

And here it is!

IMG_2720.jpg IMG_2721.jpg

After waiting impatiently for the clouds to clear, I finally had the chance to test it last night. Big improvement! At lower magnifications, it's virtually rock steady. At higher magnifications, there is some initial wiggle on focus, but it damps within 1-2 seconds just as Jim and Erin describe -- rather than the 7-8 seconds I was experiencing before the mod. I am thrilled. I am also amazed that I was able to do this, as are my children. "It looks very professional," my 11-year-old son told me the other day. And after 40 hours of work, it should.

So: A *huge* shout-out to Jim and Erin, and a word of encouragement to anyone who might be considering something like this but, like me, is handy-deficient: You can do this! And it works! And you can do this! Really!

Trust me: If *I* can do this, your *cat* probably could.

Clear skies,

AG

Edited by writerguy, 11 July 2020 - 02:02 PM.

• stevew, khingdheano, JimOfOakCreek and 2 others like this

#2 4BINNI

4BINNI

Vostok 1

• Loc: Edwards Co. Il.

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:07 PM

Your link to the post by JimOfOakCreek doesn't work. And I would really like to check it out, having just bought a ES Twilight 1.

#3 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Ranger 4

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:52 PM

Nice work. 

Your Friend Jim

#4 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:58 PM

Your link to the post by JimOfOakCreek doesn't work. And I would really like to check it out, having just bought a ES Twilight 1.

Trying to help...

• gozer likes this

#5 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:35 PM

AG—it looks great! Well done! It really is satisfying too, isn’t it? Nice write up too. I will say for record that I don’t think your questions were that inane wink.gif

Glad I could help and so glad it makes the difference for you. I hope you are enjoying those dark skies smile.gif

#6 writerguy

writerguy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

Oops -- thanks, jeremiah2229! I fixed the link in the original post, as well. Apparently, in addition to being all thumbs, I don't know how to work a link editor...

4BINNI, you can also see Mr. Mike's post regarding the same modification. Like Jim's thread, that one also contains additional information about other mods you can try.

Personally, I'd like to try the enhanced Vixen dovetail clamp that Erin added. Someone just sold one on the classifieds, and I missed it by a day! 

Edited by writerguy, 11 July 2020 - 02:11 PM.

• jeremiah2229 likes this

#7 khingdheano

khingdheano

Vostok 1

• Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:53 AM

The "Flitch Plate" mod is, IMHO, indeed very effective. I just acquired a Twilight 1 mount from a friendly CN member. The first night I used the mount I noticed some vibration while focusing my ES AR102 refractor, not enough to be objectionable but more than I was used to from my Vixen Great Polaris equatorial. I saw this thread about the mod and thought I would try it, can't hurt, right? No permanent changes to the mount. Well, it did make a difference, cut the vibration time by at least half. I made one addition to the mod as described here, I sandwiched some relatively stiff strips of foam between the two pieces of the plate. I don't know if that helped or not, but I am happy with the results.

• erin likes this

#8 writerguy

writerguy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:40 AM

Glad it worked for you! What kind of foam did you use? Could you post a picture of your mod?

Erin made a cool additional mod as well using an extra piece of wood that fits in the lower gap on the mount arm, but I didn't have the presence of mind to ask her about that when I made the original mod.

By the way, my Twilight 1 arrived with a dented leg, and I contacted the vendor, Jeff Norwood, at Camera Concepts & Telescope Solutions, to let him know. Jeff immediately informed Mike Hatch at Explore Scientific, who promptly shipped me a new leg. (He actually offered to replace the entire tripod, but I didn't think that was necessary.) I've read lots of good things about ES and their warranty policy in the forums, and just thought I'd take the opportunity to strongly recommend CCTS as well. (Jeff was also incredibly helpful during the ordering process, answering lots of questions and offering advice backed up by what was obviously loads of experience.)

• erin likes this

#9 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:02 PM

The extra piece I added to the bottom of the gap I did the same as the larger piece. Sand it to fit and use one bolt to attach it to the outside piece.

Glad the mod is working waytogo.gif

#10 khingdheano

khingdheano

Vostok 1

• Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:05 PM

Glad it worked for you! What kind of foam did you use? Could you post a picture of your mod?

Erin made a cool additional mod as well using an extra piece of wood that fits in the lower gap on the mount arm, but I didn't have the presence of mind to ask her about that when I made the original mod.

By the way, my Twilight 1 arrived with a dented leg, and I contacted the vendor, Jeff Norwood, at Camera Concepts & Telescope Solutions, to let him know. Jeff immediately informed Mike Hatch at Explore Scientific, who promptly shipped me a new leg. (He actually offered to replace the entire tripod, but I didn't think that was necessary.) I've read lots of good things about ES and their warranty policy in the forums, and just thought I'd take the opportunity to strongly recommend CCTS as well. (Jeff was also incredibly helpful during the ordering process, answering lots of questions and offering advice backed up by what was obviously loads of experience.)

I have no idea how to describe the foam. It was something I saved from some packaging, for a phone or something. My wife loves to laugh at me about my foam collection. I'm always keeping something that normal people would toss, she'll hear me say "Oh hey, that's a great piece of foam." I have boxes of the stuff.

#11 writerguy

writerguy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:43 PM

My entire family loves to laugh at me about all kinds of stuff. But in my case, none of it is actually useful.smile.gif

#12 writerguy

writerguy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 10:38 AM

Erin, I'm going to try adding that piece! One of the nice things about this mod is that it's so easily removable/adaptable. Still want to add that enhanced Vixen clamp, too!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics