•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Focal Length & 35mm Image Size [TABLE]

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ???

???

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

I compiled this table for my own research and thought it may be useful for others interested in 35mm or full frame astrophotography.

The table shows the focal length required to image an object with a given apparent diameter, y, at a range of widths on the film plane, x. The broader formula w/tan(d) was used to calculate the focal lengths. Conversion tables are included in the bottom right for quick conversion between apparent diameters in degrees & arcmins and image widths in mm & fractions of the film plane.

50101788662_02a952626e_b.jpg

• TxStars and telesonic like this

#2 TxStars

TxStars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:55 PM

With the digital revolution a lot of things have become much easier and getting to see how something will frame up is one of them.

I like to use astronomy tools in imaging mode and choose a full frame camera then adjust the focal length.

https://astronomy.to.../field_of_view/

Edited by TxStars, 11 July 2020 - 11:56 PM.

• telesonic and ??? like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics