•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepiece selection for APM 120 binos

accessories binoculars eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dinodoc328

Dinodoc328

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:16 PM

In June 2019 this topic was addressed very well over a two month period and ended with Mike Harvey's well chosen words and observations.

I originally entered this question today, following Mike's August 2019 comments and then realized that entering it in that old thread would probably result in it getting lost in the "dust bin" of ancient posts.

Things have probably changed over the year (Docters no longer available) and so I start it here as a new thread and welcome any suggestions.

I recently purchased the APM 120 -90 SD APO with the 24mm APM (not 18) EP's. It seems that the overall consensus last year was that the best and most often used EP's for the 120's are the Docters 12.5 mm. That being said, the Docters are no longer available and are now being sold as "Noblex" -->> Noblex (formerly Docter) 1.25" & 2" 84-deg Ultra Wide Angle UWA Eyepiece - 12.5mm.
Has anyone compared the two side-by-side and are the Noblex worth the very hefty price tag?

I have heard that the TeleVue Ethos 13mm might be a comparable match to the Docters with a much longer track record of use compared to Noblex ? -->> Ethos100° & 110° Apparent Field of view. They weigh 1.3 pounds each!!,  but as already remarked in last years' thread, if one uses the APM fork mount setup with the 120's, one only needs to loosen the 2 large side "screws knobs" and move the "binos/ EP'S unit" forward or backwards on the landing plate to achieve perfect balance.

Following this thought, has anyone compared the APM High eyerelief Flat-Wide 84 degree 12.5 mm eyepiece to either the Docters, Noblex or Ethos?

Mike Harvey recommended the 6.5 Morpheus for high magnification and maybe the 4.5 mm Morphs to achieve maximum resolution.
A fellow newbie just purchased the APM 120's and has used the APM XWA 3.5 mm 110° Eyepiece and says that the views of Saturn and Jupiter were amazing. Has anyone used these EP's ?....... I guess they theoretically exceed the potential maximum resolution for the 120's?
Lastly, I did purchase APM's "moon" filters......has anyone found UHC filters useful in any viewing scenarios with the APM 120's?

Many thanks for any input.

Edited by Dinodoc328, 11 July 2020 - 09:47 PM.

#2 WE349A

WE349A

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:58 PM

Curious about this as well.

#3 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rocky Mountains

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:21 AM

When I was researching eyepiece choices for my Oberwerk BT-100XL and the Orion BT, I read every thread that I could on the forum dealing with that. The Morpheus 17.5 was just being released and everybody seemed to praise the entire line. I bought the 17.5 and the 9mm Morphs and already had 24 Pans from the binoviewer. The Morphs just hit a sweet spot with eye relief, FOV and eye placement and comfort level that the 24 Pans couldn't even touch. They let you just forget the bino and relax.

Now have 5 sets of the Morphs and when I do splurge on the BT120 or the new 127XL, I have no doubt that they will be just as sensational in that bino as they are in the 100mm BT's.

Good luck with your choice....

• Mr. Bill likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, binoculars, eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics