•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C9.25 want a fork mount... which one?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Eiers

Joe Eiers

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arcata, Ca.

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:26 PM

Hello everyone,  I have a nice, bit older C9.25 that I'd like to get a fork mount for.  Ideally, it would be cool to have a setup like my C6SE.  I have a nice gem, but I'm trying to look off my balcony and it's rather limited in space.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Joe

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:50 PM

Best option IMO would be an Evolution Mount (w/2" Tripod).

• Bean614 likes this

#3 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:22 PM

You could find a set of forks and base from a CPC1100 ... there’s a hack to turn it into a 1-arm fork with a dovetail clamp, and use it altaz, like a big lightswitch.

Many of those were deforked and put on another mount as they were simply too heavy as all-in-one scopes.

Edited by luxo II, 11 July 2020 - 04:23 PM.

#4 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:11 PM

Hello everyone,  I have a nice, bit older C9.25 that I'd like to get a fork mount for.  Ideally, it would be cool to have a setup like my C6SE.  I have a nice gem, but I'm trying to look off my balcony and it's rather limited in space.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Joe

Ultima.  Strong and a good tracking system.

#5 Joe Eiers

Joe Eiers

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arcata, Ca.

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:55 PM

Thanks guys!  I just wasn't sure what would actually work.  It's something I've never done in all these years...  Hadn't a clue what my options were.  Every C9.25 I've had has been an OTA!  Why is that?  Strange.   Every C8 I've bought has had BOTH!  EVERY ONE!  In fact, all my Celestrons through my 45 years...  makes me wonder why!

Joe

#6 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:52 PM

Every C9.25 I've had has been an OTA!  Why is that? 

Because the all-in-one OTA in the fork is too heavy for most. Any piece over 25lbs (12kg) is heading for trouble. I know young tyros swear they can lift a 12" LX200, but when you're over 50 and hoping to get 10+ years out of it anything heavy poses a problem.

And most scope users are well over 50.

Edited by luxo II, 11 July 2020 - 11:55 PM.

• 25585 and miketheobscure like this

#7 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:57 PM

hi there.

firstly I don,t know about you guys in the states however fork mounts are not available separately over this side of the pond generally only as a full telescope package.so in that case if that’s the same scenario for you guys in the states the only thing I can suggest is try to get hold of one on the preowned market.and even if you managed to get hold of a celestron CPC .9.25 fork mount I can imagine you will have to start drilling holes in the OTA to make it fit.however there is another option might be worth considering.ditch the fork mounting idea altogether and consider an skywatcher AZEQ5-6 mount this then could be in tandem with your exsisting C6 celestron side by side with each other in glorious harmony lol.so you kind of killing to birds with one stone there.and exscuse the pun it will also give you more scope for manoeuvre for a little imaging set up.

• 25585 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics