•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Observing chair and mount?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:21 AM

I'm thinking this would make a fantastic combination observing chair and dual parallel mount setup for multiple instruments:

https://www.gcsurplu...=1&sf=ferm-clos

Just one catch: It is being sold by Correctional Services Canada, so it has likely been used in a federal prison.

Edited by Senex Bibax, 12 July 2020 - 06:24 AM.

#2 mangulator

mangulator

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:05 AM

I'm thinking this would make a fantastic combination observing chair and dual parallel mount setup for multiple instruments:

https://www.gcsurplu...=1&sf=ferm-clos

Just one catch: It is being sold by Correctional Services Canada, so it has likely been used in a federal prison.

I bet it would be comfortable! 

I could see mounting some nice astro-binoculars to it. Also if the motor controls for the chair were operational that would be nice.

It reminds me of a scene in Lara Croft Tomb Raider. If you have seen the movie then you should remember the part where Lara Croft is looking through a telescope at the planets aligning.  I always thought that it would be pretty cool to have a set up with a reclining chair mounted to a huge refractor like in the movie. I doubt it was a real telescope or even be possible to have a set up like that but it sure would be nice. It would make for some relaxing viewing sessions but that's about it.

If you haven't seen the movie just google Lara Croft, Tomb Raider "Telescope Scene" and you should be able to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

#3 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:57 AM

Reminds me of this dental chair conversion:

https://www.cloudyni...-to-bino-chair/

#4 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:01 AM

You’d need a big lazy Susan bearing for azimuth, not sure the load capacity of the arms would give you much aperture. Definite able to reach the zenith.

Peter

#5 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:04 PM

Yeah, but...

Is it safe?

#6 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:59 AM

I wish I remembered what Dustin Hoffman's reply was to that question.
  • Zamboni and Terra Nova like this

#7 FDR

FDR

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:26 AM

You’d need a big lazy Susan bearing for azimuth, not sure the load capacity of the arms would give you much aperture. Definite able to reach the zenith.

Peter

I'm thinking 4-8 wheels mounted tangentially and a centering shaft. Maybe a hard plastic instead of rubber wheel for some slip so a little mounting inaccuracy doesn't try to rip a wheel off. 

#8 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 19 July 2020 - 12:02 PM

Yeah, but...

Is it safe?

question.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics