•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI183MC Pro issue

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 wsbrown

wsbrown

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Baxley, GA

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:00 AM

I purchased my first dedicated astro cam last month after using a DSLR for the past few years. I cannot find this issue searching the forums, so I'm posting it here to see if I can figure anything out. This was my second imaging session with an ASI183MC Pro, my first went fine without any issues. The problem I'm having is single green and purple lines appearing in the frames and banding/matrix appearing on the right side. Reference the uploaded images. I've taken darks at the same gain and temp like I should and these artifacts do not calibrate out. It is especially noticeable in live view, I bright green vertical line nearly halfway in the frame. Kinda bummed out after finally deciding to make the leap to a cooled camera and have an issue like this. I have contacted ZWO support with the issue as well. 

Initial light frame was Gain: 54 Offset: 10 300"

Adjusted Gain to see if there was a difference and took an hours worth at Gain:100 Offset:54 300"

Darks at Gain:100 Offset:10 300"

Cooling at -10C for everything

Pics in next post

#2 wsbrown

wsbrown

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:02 AM

Pics

Attached Thumbnails

• D6555287-B3CF-4FAE-8FB1-BC69DE715609.jpeg

#3 wsbrown

wsbrown

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:03 AM

Rest of pics

Attached Thumbnails

• E7941D86-CB65-422E-BFBB-B74972930528.jpeg
  • BA06847B-F368-474E-8120-DF7007B9B1C1.jpeg

#4 Gipht

Gipht

Vanguard

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:39 AM

Are you using RGB24 as your camera setting?  If so, try using raw16.   Have not seen that pronounced a color line before.  This could be a camera problem.

#5 wsbrown

wsbrown

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:05 AM

Confirmed these were shot at RAW16

#6 Frabog

Frabog

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Kontich Belguim

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:47 AM

I can recommend you to take both flat frames and Bias frames at this type of camera not only the dark  frames and use the standard  gain settings of ZWO make the exposures shorter 2Min to 3Min you get the same result because you can take more in the same time the difference sits in the size of the file that has to be downloaded to your computer which sometimes causes these streaks.

#7 wsbrown

wsbrown

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:52 AM

I can recommend you to take both flat frames and Bias frames at this type of camera not only the dark  frames and use the standard  gain settings of ZWO make the exposures shorter 2Min to 3Min you get the same result because you can take more in the same time the difference sits in the size of the file that has to be downloaded to your computer which sometimes causes these streaks.

I did use Flats

I tried a 2 minute exposure last night as well with the same result. It shouldnt be file size as Im seeing the lines in live view at .01" loop.

Also, my first night imaging with it I used a L-Enhance filter with 10 minute exposures with no issues.

#8 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:00 PM

Try adding BIAS frames and follow up, the flats here would be re introducing ampglow to the image. I made a huge master bias frame form 700 images with this camera, no ampglow remained whatsover in the deepest stretch I could possibly apply. 

#9 RonaldNC

RonaldNC

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:20 PM

I use that exact camera and nearly the same settings (120 gain, 120 seconds, -10c, 20 offset).  My lights and darks don't look anything like yours.  Your amp glow from the right is ridiculously bright and seems to be causing the color streaks.  It's definitely something to ask ZWO about.

Ron 

#10 Churmey

Churmey

Vostok 1

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:20 PM

I purchased my first dedicated astro cam last month after using a DSLR for the past few years. I cannot find this issue searching the forums, so I'm posting it here to see if I can figure anything out. This was my second imaging session with an ASI183MC Pro, my first went fine without any issues. The problem I'm having is single green and purple lines appearing in the frames and banding/matrix appearing on the right side. Reference the uploaded images. I've taken darks at the same gain and temp like I should and these artifacts do not calibrate out. It is especially noticeable in live view, I bright green vertical line nearly halfway in the frame. Kinda bummed out after finally deciding to make the leap to a cooled camera and have an issue like this. I have contacted ZWO support with the issue as well. 

Initial light frame was Gain: 54 Offset: 10 300"

Adjusted Gain to see if there was a difference and took an hours worth at Gain:100 Offset:54 300"

Darks at Gain:100 Offset:10 300"

Cooling at -10C for everything

Pics in next post

Hi Wsbrown,

I had a similar incident outlined here :

https://www.cloudyni...vertical-lines/

How did I fix it? I simply had to re-do my dark library and it solved the issue. Hope this helps and works for you too.

#11 AhBok

AhBok

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:25 PM

Have you tried 60 sec subs? 300 secs is a really long sub with this camera unless you are using a multiband filter or have Bortle 1/2 skies.

#12 wsbrown

wsbrown

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:03 PM

Hi Wsbrown,

I had a similar incident outlined here :

https://www.cloudyni...vertical-lines/

How did I fix it? I simply had to re-do my dark library and it solved the issue. Hope this helps and works for you too.

I took new darks before trying to stack, always dither, and stacked using kappa-sigma. This is quick stretch in Photoshop showing those techniques helped, but its still there. Plus whatever is going on at the right side of the frame in addition to the lines. At a month old, my camera is still under warranty and I feel this is unacceptable performance whatever the reason is for a brand new camera, so Im going to see what ZWO's response is.

Thanks for replying to the thread, at least I know this isnt an isolated problem.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8D1A7CBF-046D-4628-93D1-1D3D103C1C4A.jpeg

Edited by wsbrown, 12 July 2020 - 06:04 PM.

#13 wsbrown

wsbrown

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:06 PM

Have you tried 60 sec subs? 300 secs is a really long sub with this camera unless you are using a multiband filter or have Bortle 1/2 skies.

Yeah I realise I over did it there, Im brand new to this type of camera and was using my DSLR school of thought. However, the lines are present in live view loop (.01") and I tried some test frames at 30" each and they are still there, so I dont think exposure length is causing the issue.

#14 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:02 PM

what is your usb throughput speed set at? Have you tried a new cable?

Also, did you use bias frames as mentioned earlier? 

#15 wsbrown

wsbrown

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:56 PM

what is your usb throughput speed set at? Have you tried a new cable?

Also, did you use bias frames as mentioned earlier? 

I believe it was 40, it was the lowest setting on the ASCOM properties. I knew better than to use the ZWO cable (learned this lesson from my ASI120 mini guide scope), I bought a high quality, high speed cable before the camera arrived.

No, I need a breather from fiddling with this camera. Honestly Im considering going back to my DSLR and putting this thing out to pasture if ZWO can resolve the issue.

#16 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:20 AM

I believe it was 40, it was the lowest setting on the ASCOM properties. I knew better than to use the ZWO cable (learned this lesson from my ASI120 mini guide scope), I bought a high quality, high speed cable before the camera arrived.

No, I need a breather from fiddling with this camera. Honestly Im considering going back to my DSLR and putting this thing out to pasture if ZWO can resolve the issue.

until you do a full calibration with bias frames its not a zwo issue, its the user. Now im not saying its impossible for the camera to have a problem but I cannot help but point out that you have an issue with data that has not been fully calibrated. Typically you start there. I was frustrated with this camera for a while so I understand. Once I figured out the process routine I realized how much better it could be than my dslr.

#17 jdupton

jdupton

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:03 AM

wsbrown,

Is it possible for you to upload one each sample of a raw (FITs -- as is saved right from the camera) Bias, Dark, and Light frame to some place like DropBox or other file sharing site?

I got lost in some of the comments here and wasn't able to tell if the initial posted images are single frames, calibrated stacks, or something in between. Seeing a sample of each frame type in its raw FITs form would help in figuring out what is happening.

To my eye, the first few frames you posted seem like a possible sensor artifact. There are two columns of images which don't look right and appear in all. More worrisome is the very odd patterns in the data at the extreme right side of the frame. The horizontal banding you show in the highly stretched (and cropped?) Dark Frame looks normal to me. It is mainly the feathered / interleaved appearance of the data on the extreme right of the image that seems to be out of the ordinary. Having a selection of single raw, untouched FITs samples might help see what is happening.

John

#18 wsbrown

wsbrown

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:36 AM

wsbrown,

Is it possible for you to upload one each sample of a raw (FITs -- as is saved right from the camera) Bias, Dark, and Light frame to some place like DropBox or other file sharing site?

I got lost in some of the comments here and wasn't able to tell if the initial posted images are single frames, calibrated stacks, or something in between. Seeing a sample of each frame type in its raw FITs form would help in figuring out what is happening.

To my eye, the first few frames you posted seem like a possible sensor artifact. There are two columns of images which don't look right and appear in all. More worrisome is the very odd patterns in the data at the extreme right side of the frame. The horizontal banding you show in the highly stretched (and cropped?) Dark Frame looks normal to me. It is mainly the feathered / interleaved appearance of the data on the extreme right of the image that seems to be out of the ordinary. Having a selection of single raw, untouched FITs samples might help see what is happening.

John

I dont have dropbox, Ill try to set one up. The first three frames I posted are screenshots of unmodified lights and one dark. They look stretched because they are a 300" exposure each (too much I know, but that is irrelevant to the issue). 

My personal feeling is this is a hardware issue. I had one imagining session with the camera with no problems. Normal horizontal bands of noise that you noted, that were easily removed with darks. 

On a side note, I still havent heard back from ZWO. Can anyone speak for their customer service record?

#19 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:54 AM

Have you tried a different USB cable? Also you may want to check for power supply problems (actually, do both, change the USB cable and try to find a different power source). Are you running dew heaters and if so are they connected to the same power supply as the camera and/or computer? You may want to try and isolate each device with its own power source.

After trying the above I'd probably conclude that you have a hardware problem with the camera.

#20 wsbrown

wsbrown

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:31 AM

Have you tried a different USB cable? Also you may want to check for power supply problems (actually, do both, change the USB cable and try to find a different power source). Are you running dew heaters and if so are they connected to the same power supply as the camera and/or computer? You may want to try and isolate each device with its own power source.

After trying the above I'd probably conclude that you have a hardware problem with the camera.

I can try the stock USB3 that came with the camera, I bought a high quality cable to use with it from the start. I am running a dew heater, tried running just the cooler, same issue. As for power supply, I took some 30 second subs with the cooler power completely disconnected, and the artifacts are still there.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics