•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Telescope

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 james webb

james webb

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:30 AM

My C11  is becoming rather heavy to transport and erect as i am 72 years old. I really enjoy looking at the moon and planets and have been thinking about a new telescope which would be easier to assemble whilst giving me sharp clear images. I would appreciate any advice.

#2 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:53 AM

For moon and planets a smaller Maksutov would do fine.  6" perhaps?

#3 Knasal

Knasal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:12 AM

How about a Nexstar 8SE? And even if that’s too big, you have smaller options too. A highly rated scope!

https://www.celestro...rized-telescope

I think you’re being smart - take care of yourself and enjoy something smaller... The scope above is an excellent scope and so are its smaller siblings!

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Kevin

Edited by Knasal, 12 July 2020 - 09:14 AM.

• Echolight likes this

#4 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:55 AM

If like the SCT's ergonomics and are used to the design, I second the suggestion for a smaller model.

The C8 is half as heavy as your current one, while with the C6 could gain another 1.5kg; probably the most delicate choice will be that of the mount, if have to move it after every session.

The SE fork is indeed quite light, but if are used to and prefer an equatorial mount could look for a CG5 or Eq5 (the Celestron AVX is good too, but being sturdier is also heavier)

#5 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:30 PM

C925 Evolution. 

• payner, stargazer193857, Knasal and 1 other like this

#6 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:00 PM

If the main target and primary interests are the moon and planets, then there are, of course, numerous choices. However, “age” is the real issue here. At your age, and as you age, telescopes will NOT be getting any lighter. If you have to setup every time you use a scope, then I would consider a lightweight but very high quality apo refractor. The Takahashi 100DZ comes to mind. Put that scope on an alt/az mount like the Stellarvue M002 and you can be out observing in a few minutes. The Tak doublets cool rather quickly as well.

With the Tak 100DZ, or other such refractor, you can also expand your observing and telescope use by purchasing a white light solar filter or Hydrogen Alpha solar filter for some great solar observing.

If you want tracking then something like the Orion Sky View Pro or one of the alt/az mounts from I-Optron might also be a consideration.

A Questar 3.5 might also be a consideration going forward and for the long haul.

When I downsized, I also sold a C-11 and purchased a Takahashi TSA 120 – loving the Tak TSA 120.

Bob

Edited by bobhen, 13 July 2020 - 10:14 AM.

• payner likes this

#7 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:08 PM

My C11 is becoming rather heavy to transport and erect as i am 72 years old. I really enjoy looking at the moon and planets and have been thinking about a new telescope which would be easier to assemble whilst giving me sharp clear images. I would appreciate any advice.

What features do you need? Tracking? Everyone suggested similar but smaller scopes. I think dobsonians are easier to manage than a GEM, but not if they are goto. A 10" f5 is pretty simple.

What vehicle, passengers, and camping gear are you working with?

#8 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:11 PM

I looked though a 102mm f9.8 APO that someone had downsized to from a 14" dob. I was amazed how good the images were.

#9 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:19 PM

C8

#10 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Steubenville, Ohio

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:31 PM

I think a C8 would get you more portability and be easier to deal with.

Or perhaps as someone else suggest a high quality 4” APO?

A 4” scope is one of the most versatile scopes. And would still give you great views of the Moon and planets.

#11 Echolight

Echolight

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:43 AM

How about an iOptron AZ Pro with a C8 and a AT72EDii riding shotgun.

...or superlight option, an 80 apo on a Cube, or light manual mount if you prefer.

Edited by Echolight, 13 July 2020 - 08:50 AM.

#12 Douglas Matulis

Douglas Matulis

Vostok 1

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:56 AM

For moon and planets a smaller Maksutov would do fine.  6" perhaps?

I recently purchased a 6" SkyWatcher Mak and an Orion SkyView Pro EQ mount.  I was very pleased with the ease of setup.  It's not a grab and go setup.  It requires several trips bringing stuff out of the house, but each component was very manageable.  This was an important requirement in my selection of a new scope, I'd rather make several trips with lighter components than fewer with 40lb+ fork mounts or dob bases and long metal tubes.  I am still in my fifties, but am lazy and have some old injuries I don't want to resurrect.  That said, this is my first EQ mount and setup and polar alignment took only 15-20 minutes and I'm sure I'll get more efficient.  That said, I purchased the dual axis drives and the mount tracked perfectly.  At one point, I had the scope pointed at M57 and went inside, 40 minutes later I came back out and it was perfectly still centered.  As far as the optics on the mak, I just simply will say I was quite blown away by my views of Jupiter and Saturn.  I only had an eyepiece that got me to 190x, but I am sure on a similar night of great seeing I am betting 250-300x will be attainable.  I am very happy with my purchase, and I know it will see more use that either the 8" LX200 or the 10" dob I've had previously.  I was also very happy with its performance on the Messier objects I hunted down, globs resolved nicely, not to the core like in the 10" dob, but my main interest is moon, planets, double stars.  I will not miss the bigger heavier scopes I have owned in the passed.  I also think I will appreciate the extra aperture over a 4" refractor as well as the longer focal length for my observing interests.  That said, I am sure I will pick up 80-102mm refractor someday wink.gif .

#13 STEVEC13

STEVEC13

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:18 AM

For Moon, Planets, and DSO.s a Explorer Scientific Comet Hunter would serve You well. Light weight has a handle weighs about 17 lbs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics