•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Turn an open truss to solid tube

DIY dob equipment mirror making 3d printing
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guydive

Guydive

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NYC/TLV

Posted 12 July 2020 - 01:05 PM

OK, so I have the Skywatcher Flextube goto 10". I love my telescope but hate the collapsable formation. It flexes, need shrouds, bad at keeping collimation and collects dust. Also, I want to piggyback it with a smaller scope, but the poles are in the way.

So I was thinking about maybe taking out the primary, spider and focus (maybe upgrade the focuser) and installing them on a solid tube.

Your thoughts? 

#2 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 12 July 2020 - 01:09 PM

OK, so I have the Skywatcher Flextube goto 10". I love my telescope but hate the collapsable formation. It flexes, need shrouds, bad at keeping collimation and collects dust. Also, I want to piggyback it with a smaller scope, but the poles are in the way.

So I was thinking about maybe taking out the primary, spider and focus (maybe upgrade the focuser) and installing them on a solid tube.

Your thoughts? 

There would be a lot of issues to deal with, such as getting a solid tube with bearings that would work, having the new solid tube balance, etc...

My thinking is you should sell the Flextube and buy a GSO solid tube. Sorry to hear this. Most Flextube owners give really good reviews of the scope.

Edited by SteveG, 12 July 2020 - 01:09 PM.

• stargazer193857 likes this

#3 Guydive

Guydive

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NYC/TLV

Posted 12 July 2020 - 01:13 PM

There would be a lot of issues to deal with, such as getting a solid tube with bearings that would work, having the new solid tube balance, etc...

My thinking is you should sell the Flextube and buy a GSO solid tube. Sorry to hear this. Most Flextube owners give really good reviews of the scope.

I do think it's an excellent scope, but the collapsibility bring a lot of disadvantages. I thought about disassemble the bearings as well and put them on the new tube. ballance is an issue. 

#4 Will_S

Will_S

Vostok 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:03 PM

Rather than a new tube, if you'r really having problems with flex (I'm not, maybe I just got lucky, maybe there's something loose or sloppily machined in yours) maybe you could add some "strings" or threaded rods, like this:  http://www.dobstuff.com/string.htm

You could make a permanent shroud/tube wall out of some Kydex. Although I like being able to seal the cap to the lower OTA opening.

• SteveV and 25585 like this

#5 SteveV

SteveV

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ore.

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:01 PM

Can you remove the collapsing assembly and splice a piece of sonotube or HVAC ducting in it's place?

Edited by SteveV, 12 July 2020 - 05:43 PM.

#6 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:22 PM

I'd think conversion would turn into a money-pit.  You should sell your stock scope and get a new or used solid-tube.

• Jon Isaacs, stargazer193857 and 25585 like this

#7 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:43 PM

Easiest solution is to sell it and buy the Orion version

You also may be able to find a used 10" Orion OTA and just swap out the Side Bearing.

IME my SW 12" GOTO has no collimation issues and in fact stays in collimation better than my solid 12" Dob due to it's smaller size (collapsible) being less bumped.

As for the Shroud, the AstroZap is the way to go and one downfall but once you buy it and leave it on, you soon forget about it (cost).

Finally, I solved the piggyback issue by adding a Synta shoe to my RFT.  A few Counter weights and I'm good to go.

#8 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:04 PM

Your thoughts? 

that's not a truss but a strut...

• SteveV likes this

#9 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:05 PM

I'd think conversion would turn into a money-pit.  You should sell your stock scope and get a new or used solid-tube.

depends on the mirrors... are they good? if you have good mirrors then make a entirely new assebly. 

I've made 3 scopes for the same mirror set... cause I can.

#10 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:16 PM

Your thoughts?

Since many people like the fast collapsibility, you should sell yours and get a solid tube. You might make money on the change.

I wonder if your lacks the tolerances needed to get the ideal end conditions.

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:02 PM

I see a possible trade ahead..  

You could keep your optics..

Jon

#12 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:19 PM

I see a possible trade ahead..

You could keep your optics..

Jon

We all want Jon to review the Sky-watcher.

#13 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:18 PM

+1

The ES Firstlight 10" F5 is a good choice as a replacement. 

#14 Javier1978

Javier1978

Apollo

• Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Posted 20 July 2020 - 06:54 PM

+ 1 for selling your current scope and getting a solid tube. I really like the traditional white version from Sky watcher. It´s lighter and cheper than the collapsible version.

#15 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:23 PM

+ 1 for selling your current scope and getting a solid tube. I really like the traditional white version from Sky watcher. It´s lighter and cheper than the collapsible version.

The only problem with the solid tube is if you want to bring a bunch of people with you to a dark sky site. Solid tubes are not family or friends friendly. The collapsible OTA will fit in the trunk, leaving room for passengers. Explore Scientific trusses fit in the trunk, but at a much higher price.

But if OP does not want to deal with the weight or any compromises, and is not bringing passengers, then I agree the tube is better and less expensive.

Edited by stargazer193857, 20 July 2020 - 07:25 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIY, dob, equipment, mirror making, 3d printing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics