•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for the best one shot color to use with my 127 APO

astrophotography beginner CMOS dso equipment imaging refractor
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PhotonHunter1

PhotonHunter1

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northwest Suburbs of Chicago

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:58 PM

I'm looking to match a one-shot color camera to use with my Explore Scientific ED-127 APO Triplet with FCD1 ED glass. A few of the options that I'm considering in my price ranges are:

ASI 183MC Pro (low $ range)

ASI 1533MC Pro

ASI 1294MC Pro

ASI 1071 Pro (top $ range)

With so many choices I'm not sure if any of these would be the best fit, or if there are others (I'm open to QHY OSC as well). Thanks in advance for your guidance.

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:27 PM

I think it comes down to the 533 and the 071.  The 183 (I own both of them) has tiny pixels, its sweet spot is short fast scopes.  The 294 seems to be a hit or miss proposition.

• PhotonHunter1 likes this

#3 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:42 AM

I think that you want the 071 because of the larger field of view and closer to optimal sampling that you should get with a 1 meter scope. At the same time, though, I wonder if you won't need a flattener with the larger chip. Check with ES and see what they say about the imaging circle. 

Rgrds-Ross

#4 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:00 AM

The 533 is excellent with very low noise, no amp glow, and great color.  The smaller square sensor is its biggest negative but I've used it on my C11" and 80mm APO triplet getting some nice framing of DSOs.  Another option, if you can squeeze a few more dollars, is the 2600.  This is essentially the 533's big brother with a larger sensor- APS-C.  I have this as well and gives excellent images on an APO triplet.

• telfish and PhotonHunter1 like this

#5 APshooter

APshooter

Skylab

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:54 AM

The 2600 is really nice if you can swing the extra cost.

• mewmartigan and PhotonHunter1 like this

#6 Dean J.

Dean J.

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:44 AM

I'm looking to match a one-shot color camera to use with my Explore Scientific ED-127 APO Triplet with FCD1 ED glass. A few of the options that I'm considering in my price ranges are:

ASI 183MC Pro (low $ range)

ASI 1533MC Pro

ASI 1294MC Pro

ASI 1071 Pro (top $ range)

With so many choices I'm not sure if any of these would be the best fit, or if there are others (I'm open to QHY OSC as well). Thanks in advance for your guidance.

As the detector size increases, then the chance of having undesirable star shapes at the edges and corners also increases.  If the star shape distortion is bad enough then you would end up cropping the image... and you had paid extra for that larger detector.

Do you have a flattener to use with the ED-127?  If you don't have a flattener, then my recommendation would be the ASI533.

#7 Dean J.

Dean J.

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:29 PM

As the detector size increases, then the chance of having undesirable star shapes at the edges and corners also increases.  If the star shape distortion is bad enough then you would end up cropping the image... and you had paid extra for that larger detector.

Do you have a flattener to use with the ED-127?  If you don't have a flattener, then my recommendation would be the ASI533.

Also, of the options you mention, I think only the ASI533 is the latest generation back illuminated sensor.

#8 Dean J.

Dean J.

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:44 PM

No- so is the ASI2600.  That was the point I was trying to make in my post.  Identical technology- the ASI2600 is just a larger sensor version of the 533.  The only difference besides sensor size is that the ASI2600 also has an IR cut window.

Well, the ASI2600 is a 16 bit camera and the ASI533 is a 14 bit camera. So, they are different in that way too. The ASI2600 wasn’t on the OP’s list.

#9 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:12 PM

Well, the ASI2600 is a 16 bit camera and the ASI533 is a 14 bit camera. So, they are different in that way too. The ASI2600 wasn’t on the OP’s list.I realize that

Yes- another difference.  Glad you mentioned it.  I was simply pointing out and correcting your statement,  "I think only the ASI533 is the latest generation back illuminated sensor."  Also, both with no amp glow which is another nice feature. 

#10 Dean J.

Dean J.

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:12 PM

Yes- another difference.  Glad you mentioned it.  I was simply pointing out and correcting your statement,  "I think only the ASI533 is the latest generation back illuminated sensor."  Also, both with no amp glow which is another nice feature. 

I actually said - "Also, of the options you mention, I think only the ASI533 is the latest generation back illuminated sensor."  So good luck PhotonHunter1 whichever one you choose.

Edited by Dean J., 13 July 2020 - 10:32 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, CMOS, dso, equipment, imaging, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics