•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is your favorite solar observing eyepiece?

accessories observing optics refractor solar eyepieces equipment
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 V-Rock

V-Rock

Vostok 1

• Loc: Commack ny

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:33 PM

Denkmiere 32mm plossl and Binotron27 with power switch.

#27 V-Rock

V-Rock

Vostok 1

• Loc: Commack ny

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:34 PM

Denkmiere 32mm plossl and Binotron27 with power switch.

#28 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:11 PM

typically I use an 8-24 Vixen Zoom but when conditions are good, I'll put in my TV 11mm Delite. if I didn't already have 3+ cases of EP's (and some stuffed in a drawer), I would go for a set of Delites.  noteworthy as well is the APM 15mm UFF.  nice EP at reasonable cost.

#29 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Explorer 1

• Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:14 PM

So I bought a Baader IV binoviewer and some extra eyepieces (TV 32mm plossls/Pan 24mm) but I'm having trouble with back-focus. I'm using a TV 101 with Lunt BF600 and can't get enough in-travel to get to focus. I bought the binoviewer used and it came with one glasspath compensator but it's unmarked...the only clue as to which GC it is is that it threads into the BV.

The binoviewer will come to focus without the Lunt diagonal (extremely sharp view of a local telephone pole) when the glaspath compensator is installed.

Here's my question: does anyone use a MK IV or V with an NP 101? Which GC do you use?

#30 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:32 PM

An old 2" 32mm Televue Wide Field & the original 26mm Super plossl provided with the Meade 2080 when purchased new.

#31 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:25 AM

And I would emphasis again that the Baader GPC can be used with the entry level BVs by using a T2 converter from RAF Camera. To mount the GPC with this unit, you need to put a small T2 extension on the top of the BF which eats up 7mm.  With the Maxbright, the GPC mounts inside of the BV, but the light path is 10mm longer, so it is a wash and both units will take about 53mm or so of inward focuser travel. 

And here is the Televue Bino Vue 2x on a T2 converted entry level BV.  As I recall, this takes 30mm of inward travel but again, like the Baader GPC, it too fully corrects for spherochromatism (which would be just Spherical aberration in a single wavelength).  The Televue Bino Vue 2x comes with a T2 interface adatper right in the box. The BV still has to have the female thread or adapter unless it is a Televue, where is screws right on).

attachicon.gifBV with TV.jpg

The other good thing about the TV is that almost all scopes will reach focus with it, including dobs.  I use it exclusively for planetary work along with a pair of Nikon zooms.  

So how does having a BF3400 change this whole equation Ed?

And I did get two Hyperion Baader 8-24mm eyepieces and matching 2.25x Barlows.

Edited by chemman, 06 August 2020 - 12:31 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, observing, optics, refractor, solar, eyepieces, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics