•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AstroSurface : software for images and video processing

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#26 LucienP

LucienP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: LYON France

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:26 PM

It’s windows 10 pro running on an acer swift, no biggie since I just need to remember to draw roi to keep it from happening, I am running latest version, I can only speculate but it seems to me once you interact with the controls without drawing roi, what ever triggers that error message does not clear when you close the pop up, software loop of some sort, but intermittent, does not happen everytime

Wavelets requires to Draw a Roi only for large images. When a Roi is required it is an information message not an error message.

ROI is required when it is written  ... ( use Roi )    in the window title bar.

It is possible to draw another ROI after a ROI..

Sorry for the loop you have, i dont understand what happens.

Lucien

#27 GSBass

GSBass

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:28 PM

No , the pop up message prevents further action , no worries, love your program and appreciate you making it

• LucienP likes this

#28 GSBass

GSBass

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 August 2020 - 02:32 PM

This was my latest with astrosurface, I continue to learn a lot , I only struggled on white balance and ended up transferring to snapseed to do that adjustment, the issue I was having is although you have a slider to reduce the white balance after selection it was just too white still, I also recommend using the set black point in astrosurface on the space around the planet, if you used any offset in capture it will restore it back to the way it should be

Attached Thumbnails

• D4A80C4A-B950-4D79-A650-C7634D114A17.jpeg

• roelb and LucienP like this

#29 GSBass

GSBass

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 August 2020 - 02:43 PM

Also just wanted to say that although most people in to doing this have photoshop or other nice programs to do final adjustment before publishing, if you have an iPad and save your image to your camera roll, open up apples edit tool and just start at the top and go down the entire list making small adjustments as you go, try to concentrate on one small detail in the image instead of the whole thing, by the time you go down the whole list I think you will be pretty pleased

#30 LucienP

LucienP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2020 - 11:36 AM

This was my latest with astrosurface, I continue to learn a lot , I only struggled on white balance and ended up transferring to snapseed to do that adjustment, the issue I was having is although you have a slider to reduce the white balance after selection it was just too white still, I also recommend using the set black point in astrosurface on the space around the planet, if you used any offset in capture it will restore it back to the way it should be

You can change this option if the result is too White : ( in the method Black and White Levels )

just click on ;   <<   min/max less agressive  >>

then draw a small area for White...

Lucien

• GSBass likes this

#31 GSBass

GSBass

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 August 2020 - 11:40 AM

Thanks, I must have missed that

You can change this option if the result is too White : ( in the method Black and White Levels )

just click on ;   <<   min/max less agressive  >>

then draw a small area for White...

Lucien

#32 LucienP

LucienP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2020 - 04:33 PM

Thanks, I must have missed that

With this option min/max checked, the area you have to draw can be large around a bright area. No need to use a microscope !

The same for Black adjustement.

Lucien

Edited by LucienP, 20 August 2020 - 07:44 AM.

• GSBass likes this

#33 Isaac

Isaac

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Barberà del Vallès, Barcelona, Spain

Posted 22 August 2020 - 05:52 AM

Hi, 

I'm just impressed by this software, I tested for 5 minutes a couple of days ago and I could get a better result than that made with Registax 6. So I'm glad there seems to exist a nice replacement (at least for post-processing, i.e., wavelets, rgb alignment, etc.). 

The only thing I miss is a "save settings" button to replicate the exact actions for a large group of pictures. I think there isn't any, but when you've done a lot of videos to make a Jupiter animation, it's difficult to do the same steps time and time again. For example, in Registax 6 you can drag a new picture into it, and every settings you made before for the previous frame is applied again. Of course I know this is not an easy task to do... but it'd be much appreciated if it was integrated. 

Merci beaucoup pour votre trevail!! 

#34 LucienP

LucienP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2020 - 06:02 AM

Hi, 

I'm just impressed by this software, I tested for 5 minutes a couple of days ago and I could get a better result than that made with Registax 6. So I'm glad there seems to exist a nice replacement (at least for post-processing, i.e., wavelets, rgb alignment, etc.). 

The only thing I miss is a "save settings" button to replicate the exact actions for a large group of pictures. I think there isn't any, but when you've done a lot of videos to make a Jupiter animation, it's difficult to do the same steps time and time again. For example, in Registax 6 you can drag a new picture into it, and every settings you made before for the previous frame is applied again. Of course I know this is not an easy task to do... but it'd be much appreciated if it was integrated. 

Merci beaucoup pour votre trevail!! 

Thanks Isaac !

If you use Wavelets-Deconvolution, this methods save its parameters and when you restart it, parameters are reloaded. ( there is a Reset also ! )

You can also save specific sets of parameters in files : see buttons << LoadP >> and << SaveP >>  in the top of dialog.

To process images no need to close the dialog, you can do a SaveAs and then load next image (button  << Open File >> in the top) and so on...

Lucien

Edited by LucienP, 22 August 2020 - 06:04 AM.

• R Botero likes this

#35 Isaac

Isaac

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Barberà del Vallès, Barcelona, Spain

Posted 22 August 2020 - 06:16 AM

Thanks for your quick reply! 

I saw that the SW can remember these settings, but is there a way to remember not only the wavelets settings? For example, I open that image of Jupiter and make a few steps:

1. RGB align.
  2. W-Balance
  3. Wavelets
  4. Levels
  5. ...

So if I want to open the next image, I have to repeat the above steps. If there are a few images it's no problem, but if I have 60 images... laugh.gif

Merci!

#36 LucienP

LucienP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 August 2020 - 03:37 PM

Only a few methods save its parameters in this version of AstroSurface.

Usually for planetary images i use ANALYZE-REGISTER to stack frames and RGB channels are aligned : there is a check box for this.

In Wavelets there is an Offest and Gain ; this is for levels.

Lucien

• ricardoastro13 likes this

#37 R Botero

R Botero

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:28 AM

Lucien

Thank you very much for developing and making AstroSurface available to all! bow.gif

I am testing it with my first Mars images for this opposition.  The wavelet-deconvolution window is very powerful! waytogo.gif   I also love the colour balance and channel align tools - very accurate.

Thank you again and best wishes

Roberto

• LucienP likes this

#38 LucienP

LucienP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:23 PM

Salve Roberto,

Thank a lot for your feedback.

There is a quick pdf in the bottom on my site about wavelets-deconvolution.

http://astrosurface.com/pageuk.html

The latest version is AstroSurface NOVA : can adjust size of screen display...

Regards,

Lucien

Edited by LucienP, 14 September 2020 - 01:25 PM.

• ricardoastro13 likes this

#39 mikerard

mikerard

Lift Off

• Loc: Florida

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:11 PM

Lucien, I just downloaded it and give it a quick try with a Saturn shot from last night, I like so far!  

I'll definitely spend more time with it soon! 

Bravo et merci! 

• LucienP and ricardoastro13 like this

#40 LucienP

LucienP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:31 AM

Hello Mike,

Lucien, I just downloaded it and give it a quick try with a Saturn shot from last night, I like so far!  

I'll definitely spend more time with it soon! 

Bravo et merci! 

Thank you and send me a message if you have questions.smile.gif

There are some videos and pdf in the web site.

You can alse download images to play with Wavelets-Deconvolution.

AstroSurface is still in evolution.

Lucien

• R Botero likes this

#41 HxPI

HxPI

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:20 AM

This program is unable to see my network mapped drive. Other programs see the mapped drive just fine. Please take a look at this and see if it is a program error. Thank you.

• LucienP likes this

#42 philinbris

philinbris

Viking 1

• Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:04 AM

Hi Lucien,

Can you please shed some light on what the vertical slider on the left is for in the stacking graph (the one that goes up/down):

AS Graph.jpg

I get the horizontal one (left/right slider) will limit the best xx images from the left to the position of the horizontal slider.

I am not sure if I should set both or just the horizontal.

Another issue I am having is I have started to get these "rings" or halo type effect around my stacked images and I cannot work out if I should be reducing my image count when stacking or do some other action. Here is an example of what I see when I start applying wavelets:

MarsIssue.jpg

I can remove or greatly lessen the effect by applying more noise pre-filter, but it removes features as well.

Cheers

• LucienP likes this

#43 LucienP

LucienP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:13 AM

This program is unable to see my network mapped drive. Other programs see the mapped drive just fine. Please take a look at this and see if it is a program error. Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback.  I have no quick solution yet. frown.gif

Hi Lucien,

Can you please shed some light on what the vertical slider on the left is for in the stacking graph (the one that goes up/down):

attachicon.gifAS Graph.jpg

I get the horizontal one (left/right slider) will limit the best xx images from the left to the position of the horizontal slider.

I am not sure if I should set both or just the horizontal.

Another issue I am having is I have started to get these "rings" or halo type effect around my stacked images and I cannot work out if I should be reducing my image count when stacking or do some other action. Here is an example of what I see when I start applying wavelets:

attachicon.gifMarsIssue.jpg

I can remove or greatly lessen the effect by applying more noise pre-filter, but it removes features as well.

Cheers

Hi,

The vertical slider on the left is optional.

What is the purpose of the to two graphs ?

The red one shows quality with the main algorithm : here it is Algo C (see in the title of window)

The bleu one shows quality with the second algorithm.: Algo S here.

Optionally you can reduce a little the number of best images using the vertical slider.

But this is very optional.

Most of time :

adjust with the horizontal slider watching the planet quality image during movement of the slider.

About the ring. It is very large here.

Probably the quality of stacked image is too low ?

So you can't use fine wavelets...

Can you share a stacked image (16 bits ) ?

Lucien

#44 philinbris

philinbris

Viking 1

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:05 AM

Thanks Lucien,

The sliders make sense.

Attached is a stacked image of the one above. It will be interesting to see what you think.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• 21_56_55__100r_T80_12376_reg.png

#45 GSBass

GSBass

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 September 2020 - 03:21 PM

Guessing it’s a combination of the normal rind effect and maybe having your blue gain to high during capture

Thanks Lucien,

The sliders make sense.

Attached is a stacked image of the one above. It will be interesting to see what you think.

Cheers

#46 philinbris

philinbris

Viking 1

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:21 AM

Guessing it’s a combination of the normal rind effect and maybe having your blue gain to high during capture

Hi there.

This is the histogram of the image I attached above:

MarsHist.jpg

I don't think the gains were too far out, blue was a bit under-cooked if anything. It is strange blue has a narrower histogram than the other two.

As my other images of Jupiter were similar, I got wondering about the state of the scopes collimation.

Today I setup the webcam method of checking alignment and I did detect a substantial off axis condition of the secondary mirror - also seen with the Cheshire. I have corrected it and I am confident things are spot on.

So as soon as weather clears, I will have another crack at things.

Cheers

• GSBass likes this

#47 LucienP

LucienP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2020 - 01:17 PM

Hello Phil,

The histogram is strange.Usually with a color camera used for Mars, the highest is Red channel, then Green and then Blue. (Mars is mainly red)

Here green and red have same level.

Probably there is an adjustement for the Gain of Red and Blue int the capture softwre. Most of time Green channel has no adjustement.

The image is underexposed. Max level is about 50% of the histogram.

Try to adjust Gain for about 75%.during capture.

There have few details so if you adjust Wavelets strongly large artefacts will appear.

Probablye seeing was bad and/or focus not accurate ?

Cheers,

Lucien

#48 philinbris

philinbris

Viking 1

Posted 02 October 2020 - 02:02 AM

Thanks Lucien.

I go out of my way to try and balance the histogram for every image I take. I thought that was the idea.

If that's not the case, how does one know which colors should have more or less coverage in the histogram? Sounds like I should hit the auto button and be happy whit what I get from that.

The seeing is usually average to bad for me. Last night it was terrible. Watching Mars was like seeing a plate of jelly wobble away.

I think the focus was fine because other planets like Jupiter and Saturn looked great that night - but they were pretty much overhead. Mars was about 25 degrees from horizon.

Cheers

#49 LucienP

LucienP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 October 2020 - 02:51 AM

Phil,

NB. During capture never use Gamma adjustment ! Leave Gamma by default.

Automatic White-Balance is not the good choise for Mars : and for any subject with a main strong color.

( You have a slider to reduce the effect )

Try to use " Gain RGB" method.

But be careful to do not over-expose a channel.

Example : if a channel has too much gain, reduce others channel's gain !

Lucien

#50 mikefulb

mikefulb

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 October 2020 - 10:50 AM

Really nice software.  I don't dabble in planetary often but played around some last night.  Tried another stacking option and Pixinsight for wavelets but have to say I like the result I got using Astrosurface better.

https://www.astrobin.com/fm3rb5/

By the way - runs great under WINE in Linux.  :)

• LucienP likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics