•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AstroSurface : software for images and video processing

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#51 philinbris

philinbris

Ranger 4

• Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 03 October 2020 - 05:21 PM

Phil,

NB. During capture never use Gamma adjustment ! Leave Gamma by default.

Automatic White-Balance is not the good choise for Mars : and for any subject with a main strong color.

( You have a slider to reduce the effect )

Try to use " Gain RGB" method.

But be careful to do not over-expose a channel.

Example : if a channel has too much gain, reduce others channel's gain !

Lucien

Hi Lucien.

I never touch Gama or Saturation. And leave Sharpness at minimum. These are the settings for all sessions:

Sharpness=0
Saturation=0
Gamma=1.35
Contrast=47

However, I cant remember where the Gamma setting came from - should this be 1.0 or 0.0?

I do adjust Contrast to get the histogram starting at a good early left position (with a small gap to the axis)  then I adjust RGB Gain to get the lines as close as possible to the right in the histogram.

I started another thread in the beginners imaging section on how to use the histogram. Its interesting that I don't get many replies - the replies I have received have been helpful though. I am thinking use of the histogram is not a well understood topic.

Where I am now at is given the camera has two green pixels per red and blue I am thinking to start off with R and B balanced and G less than R and B. Then adjust according to eye.

Cheers

• LucienP likes this

#52 Wigleydh

Wigleydh

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 October 2020 - 06:25 PM

I was just told about this program by a friend. I went back and used some Saturn data from 2019 and Jupiter data from earlier this year. These are the final results I was able to get. Both these are better than the original results I got when the data was captured.

The Saturn data was with ASI224mc, 2x Barlow, and AT6RC scope. The Jupiter was with ASI224mc through a C8 and no barlow.

You've done a great job creating this program.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sat.jpg
  • Jup 7-19-20.jpg

Edited by Wigleydh, 09 October 2020 - 06:31 PM.

• R Botero and LucienP like this

#53 GSBass

GSBass

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:59 PM

Looks great!

I was just told about this program by a friend. I went back and used some Saturn data from 2019 and Jupiter data from earlier this year. These are the final results I was able to get. Both these are better than the original results I got when the data was captured.

The Saturn data was with ASI224mc, 2x Barlow, and AT6RC scope. The Jupiter was with ASI224mc through a C8 and no barlow.

You've done a great job creating this program.

• LucienP likes this

#54 LucienP

LucienP

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: LYON France

Posted 10 October 2020 - 12:08 PM

Thanks a lot !

It's very encouraging for me.smile.gif

I'm adding an Undo-Redo with 6 steps to help processing.

This is for the next << AstroSurface OMEGA >>.

Bye !

Lucien

• GSBass likes this

#55 GSBass

GSBass

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 October 2020 - 02:04 PM

Thanks a lot !

It's very encouraging for me.smile.gif

I'm adding an Undo-Redo with 6 steps to help processing.

This is for the next << AstroSurface OMEGA >>.

Bye !

Lucien

That will be helpful, I often undo and sometimes start over.... I’ve gotten a lot of people to use astrosurface this month with very positive feedback

#56 philinbris

philinbris

Ranger 4

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:15 PM

Update from earlier post on imaging issue.

I finally snagged this image of Mars and did all processing with AstroSurface:

MarsHist.jpg

The horrible ring I previously had was super bad collimation (I misinterpreted how to setup secondary under focuser).

And the Histogram - I followed Lucien's advice.

Probably could tone down the red a tad.

Anyway, I have compared AstroSurface with AS3 and RegiStax6 many times and I always get better results quickly with AstroSurface and I only have to use one program to do it.

Great stuff.

Cheers

• R Botero and GSBass like this

#57 GSBass

GSBass

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:32 PM

I’ve found it makes it a little easier to adjust colors post processing if you go ahead and align your channels during capture, I use sharpcap but imagine firecapture also has sliders to adjust r g and b.... you move them while looking at the histogram until you get all your lines close to on top of each other, here is a screen shot from when I took the first Mars image in the photo below, all of these were processed with astrosurface

Update from earlier post on imaging issue.

I finally snagged this image of Mars and did all processing with AstroSurface:

attachicon.gifMarsHist.jpg

The horrible ring I previously had was super bad collimation (I misinterpreted how to setup secondary under focuser).

And the Histogram - I followed Lucien's advice.

Probably could tone down the red a tad.

Anyway, I have compared AstroSurface with AS3 and RegiStax6 many times and I always get better results quickly with AstroSurface and I only have to use one program to do it.

Great stuff.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• 4C553436-A992-4A9E-B50A-6C10DE9A3776.jpeg

• philinbris likes this

#58 GSBass

GSBass

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:33 PM

First image is the histogram above

Attached Thumbnails

• 616BA1C8-B939-4951-9737-E4959454727A.jpeg

• mikefulb, R Botero, roelb and 1 other like this

#59 philinbris

philinbris

Ranger 4

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:42 PM

I’ve found it makes it a little easier to adjust colors post processing if you go ahead and align your channels during capture, I use sharpcap but imagine firecapture also has sliders to adjust r g and b.... you move them while looking at the histogram until you get all your lines close to on top of each other, here is a screen shot from when I took the first Mars image in the photo below, all of these were processed with astrosurface

Hi and thanks for you comments.

That's exactly what I used to do with the Histogram, line them all up but it was suggested (thats how I interpreted it) not to line them up in post 47 (and see my histo in the post above.

Now I am beginning to think what Lucien meant was to make sure the final image is distributed  like I did above.

So whats the best approach? - line everything up during capture then sort it out post processing or hit the auto button during capture and just worry about post processing.

Does it really matter (to a point) what the histo is like during capture when AstroSurface can sort it out after?

Cheers

#60 philinbris

philinbris

Ranger 4

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:45 PM

First image is the histogram above

These images are fantastic.

On average, how much time do you spend in AstroSurface post processing one capture (not the stacking its self - but the wavelets etc)?

I spend 5 to 10 minutes and I am, curious if I am rushing it.

And - can you post process an image that you have already post processed?

Cheers

#61 GSBass

GSBass

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 October 2020 - 06:10 PM

Thanks, I don’t think your rushing wavlets are tricky but as long as your careful to not add too much noise then it goes pretty fast.... I transfer to my iPad to do further adjustment in other programs I am familiar with... just color etc...... as far as alignment of the channels go, my opinion is as long as your not too far off you can easily correct it post processing.... so aligning channels before hand just guarantees your success later..... this rings true especially if your white balance is bad because it’s acrobatics to get colors right and still keep white right. You still may end up with a pleasing image but it will be false color.... hope that makes sense

On average, how much time do you spend in AstroSurface post processing one capture (not the stacking its self - but the wavelets etc)?

Cheers

#62 GSBass

GSBass

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 October 2020 - 06:20 PM

By the way... just to give you a number...a 15000 frame image probably takes me 35 minutes from beginning of stacking til I am ready to publish.... can take up to 20 minutes for me to stack because I have a fairly slow computer. It’s pretty time intensive if you take 5 or 6 pictures you can easily spend 3 or 4 hours processing them. I’ll just keep my laptop on my end table and watch tv or surf on my iPad... luckily the program dings whenever it finishes lol. I operate off an external usb c drive so after I finish wavlets I just unplug... plug it in to my iPad and continue final adjustments and then share

Cheers

#63 GSBass

GSBass

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 October 2020 - 06:36 PM

Adding one more thing.... all my images are slightly underexposed on purpose, I always have to brighten them some.... you can always correct under.... you can never correct over.... it’s helpful to get your levels close to what you want though before you do wavlets... my normal workflow after I finish stacking is to click on black and white point tool, draw a box around the ice cap or white band, change to manual and then apply.... after you apply use your offset slider to adjust how bright your disc is... I often adjust back down to 25% of what the program gave me. Then I’m ready for wavlets

Cheers

• philinbris likes this

#64 philinbris

philinbris

Ranger 4

Posted 10 October 2020 - 06:39 PM

Adding one more thing.... all my images are slightly underexposed on purpose, I always have to brighten them some.... you can always correct under.... you can never correct over.... it’s helpful to get your levels close to what you want though before you do wavlets... my normal workflow after I finish stacking is to click on black and white point tool, draw a box around the ice cap or white band, change to manual and then apply.... after you apply use your offset slider to adjust how bright your disc is... I often adjust back down to 25% of what the program gave me. Then I’m ready for wavlets

That's a new bit of advice.

I will try that.

Thanks for all your other comments. Its great to know I am not far off the track.

Cheers

• GSBass likes this

#65 Wigleydh

Wigleydh

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2020 - 09:52 AM

The sky did cooperate and I got this Mars last night. This is 25% stack (14,079 frames stacked) with an ASI224mc, 2x barlow, through an AT6RC.  I am really liking this program.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mars 14079 frames.jpg

• mikefulb, R Botero, roelb and 2 others like this

#66 LucienP

LucienP

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2020 - 12:52 PM

This is a very nice red planet ! smile.gif

Lucien

#67 Cliff99

Cliff99

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney Australia

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:02 AM

Hi Lucien,

I only stumbled upon this program of yours and still learning my way but results are impressive. 

Love to see some English spoken videos but I followed along ok. 

Might have to try and reprocess some older captures.

Cliff

• LucienP likes this

#68 Cliff99

Cliff99

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:55 PM

Here is Mars 14-10-2020 Sydney Australia time stacked with Astrosurface always seems to get a vertical strip (only crop not expand seem to work in Astrosurface works ok in Autostakertt) format ?

Tried pre stabilising with Pipp but Astrosurface couldn't process these for some reason. Partial Planet only visible in it.

Used a old Meade 6"ACF SCT 2x Barlow and ASI178MC  camera on a Vixen SXD2 mount.

1 21 41 29 UV IR Mars 14 10 2020 Cro 100r T48 1119 Reg proc

Edited by Cliff99, 16 October 2020 - 08:57 PM.

#69 GSBass

GSBass

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:22 AM

Curious if you were using an avi, a friend had sent me an avi to process for him and I saw something similar while processing although I pushed forward and it still processed ok, I use ser and have never had an issue... I think part of the reason people recommend ser is because avi files can become flaky during saving process, I don’t know why. That’s the only thing I can think of, autostak might use a different algorithm to read avi files that is more forgiving to errors

Here is Mars 14-10-2020 Sydney Australia time stacked with Astrosurface always seems to get a vertical strip (only crop not expand seem to work in Astrosurface works ok in Autostakertt) format ?

Tried pre stabilising with Pipp but Astrosurface couldn't process these for some reason. Partial Planet only visible in it.

Used a old Meade 6"ACF SCT 2x Barlow and ASI178MC  camera on a Vixen SXD2 mount.

• LucienP likes this

#70 LucienP

LucienP

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:18 AM

Hello Cliff,

Difficult to answer without the AVI.    (  OK : the best is to use SER in future with Raw mode when color camera )

If partial planet is visible at end of stack, most of time the problem is a target loss during Analyze.

Some tips :

Check in the Graph (Graph C for planets ), when moving the large cursor in the bottom,  from first to last image :  watch the planet stabilization in the screen.

May be planet is lost or not stabilized due to large movements. ( you can increase "Tracking shift max" in pixels at the beginning :  Reset All...)

Do not stack images if target is lost : leave the cursor left enough. I suppose target is lost at end of graph.

You can reduce the number of images used for Analyze ; see "Limit images" just near ANALYZE button. Useful if the end of the video is bad for example.

( Or for a quick test when large video.)

Enter a value then Return.and the ANALYZE button...

Try to no use "Crop" but "As Video" to stack as a test.

NB: when using Multi-Points (=Tiles), Expand is not avalaible.

Lucien

Edited by LucienP, 17 October 2020 - 10:19 AM.

#71 Cliff99

Cliff99

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:15 AM

Thanks Lucien, GSBass,

Yes I always use SER files, haven't tried using stack as video will do,

Now i understand why the Expand is not available with multipoint,

Still pretty pleased with the result only started capturing planets recently . cloudy again for the last few days so no chance to get any more for now.

Used Sharpcap but may try Firecapture again and see if i can get the guiding working in it. 

Cliff

#72 LucienP

LucienP

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:18 AM

Hello Cliff,

About the Crop mode and i suppose there is no trouble during alignment :

--->  if the planet moves from left to right during the capture, the result will be a size reduced frame (with Crop)

Same for up-down movement...

Crop cuts images for the common area for all stacked images.

It works well if target is not lost or do no moove to much in the frame during the capture.

For Deep-Sky imaging, Crop is useful because all crop area has got same exposure.

Most of time i prefer to use "As video" mode then i crop with the method Crop : see in the buttons.

( Draw a rectangle click Crop and click Ok )

AstroSurface OMEGA has a 6 steps Undo-Redo now.

http://astrosurface.com

Untitled 1

Lucien

Edited by LucienP, 18 October 2020 - 07:31 AM.

• GSBass likes this

#73 Cliff99

Cliff99

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:05 PM

Ok thanks Lucien,

Will try that method , tracking not always great polar alignment a real challenge here. Also not permanent so having to setup each time is a problem.

Cliff

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics