•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AstroSurface : software for images and video processing

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#151 philinbris

philinbris

Viking 1

• Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 16 July 2021 - 06:27 PM

Nice - thanks for the heads up and nice work Lucien.

Cheers

#152 GSBass

GSBass

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 16 July 2021 - 11:14 PM

I did try to expose the ring nebula for about an hour with individual 15 sec frames but unfortunately the program kept telling me the contrast was to low…. I did mess with the viewer controls so that thf stars and ring were visible but no dice

#153 GSBass

GSBass

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 July 2021 - 07:38 PM

Just adding another note on this…. I suspect whatever the reasons sharpcap can’t align on stars through the 180mm mak is the culprit in Astrosurface also, I suppose the answer would be longer exposures to make it easier to surpass the detection threshold but that’s not ideal on a Az mount, I’ll keep trying though because I would really like to do more dso through the mak

• LucienP likes this

#154 LucienP

LucienP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: LYON France

Posted 18 July 2021 - 06:44 AM

Hello !

I did try to expose the ring nebula for about an hour with individual 15 sec frames but unfortunately the program kept telling me the contrast was to low…. I did mess with the viewer controls so that thf stars and ring were visible but no dice

Modifications of Gain and Offset in the Viewer are only for visualization.

One option to use these Viewer adjustements is to create a new SER.

See in the menu : Convert/Export   then   Export --->  SER/AVI.

In the dialog  check this :   Apply Viewer Offset and Gain.

And before exporting, adjust the Viewer : Offset and Gain

May be this will work. Test it for some frames only : see on the top of dialog:  1 to 25 for example

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new   AstroSurface REDSHIFT-1   is avalaible now :

http://astrosurface.com/pageuk.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a new " Register and Stack "  method for Deep-Sky only.

See in the menu ANALYZE-REGISTER on the top left.

It is to compensate a TRANSLATION and a ROTATION of images.

There is nothing to adjust.

May be if there are very few stars, one can reduce the number of required stars. ( 8 or 10)

By default it is 20. This to speed up process.

SELECTION OF IMAGES :

in the Player of AstroSurface there are some buttons and a check box : named "select" (old name "keep img" ).

These buttons and the check box are to remove frames for processing or export... : one by one, in a range...

Example : i have a SER with 2500 frames. I want to export only frames from 700 to 900.

In the Player click the button  "1-N"  then desect ALL and reselect the range 700 --> 900.

One can select-deselect many times, it is cumulative !

Don't forget to check in the dialog Export :  "Only selected images"...

The same to Analyze-Register "selected images". Here nothing to check to force to do this.

Only previously "selected images" will be processed.

Good luck !

Lucien

Edited by LucienP, 18 July 2021 - 06:51 AM.

• GSBass likes this

#155 GSBass

GSBass

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 July 2021 - 08:34 AM

Excellent Lucian, this precedure worked, although it’s not really a shareable image because it was just a test and I didn’t do a dark frame or spend much time getting focus and leveling to get tracking right, the program did align and rotate 150 images after conversion to ser with adu and gain adjustments. Very happy, it opens doors to dso with my mak on some targets that may benefit 

• LucienP likes this

#156 LucienP

LucienP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2021 - 10:10 AM

Excellent Lucian, this precedure worked, although it’s not really a shareable image because it was just a test and I didn’t do a dark frame or spend much time getting focus and leveling to get tracking right, the program did align and rotate 150 images after conversion to ser with adu and gain adjustments. Very happy, it opens doors to dso with my mak on some targets that may benefit 

Very good !

The first method "Analyze-Register" need a pattern ( ROI to draw by mouse) as you know.

It works well in most situations but if the noise is very very high, try to select a small ROI with one or only some stars, among the brightest. This method is fast.

If you use the new method for Registration : "  Analyze-Registar Rotaton Multistars ",

no need to adjust the Offset or Gain and create a new SER...

Lucien

#157 GSBass

GSBass

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 August 2021 - 09:55 AM

I’ve been experimenting with winjupos, I’m running another ser, perhaps having a better grasp using the correct times and reference image, however 40 minutes on a 3 minute ser and it’s only halfway done…. My computer is an i7 so just thinking this must really be intensive processing, it would be nice to just have this derotate function in Astrosurface….. with out getting in to the nuts and bolts it just seems like it would be beneficial. I guess it’s worthy but the time needed sure seems like it could be improved upon, derotation after selecting the best 20% to stack obviously would be a lot faster. I may be asking too much but it would be nice even if you knew that by selecting the process might take 3 times longer

#158 GSBass

GSBass

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 August 2021 - 04:09 PM

Hi Lucien, just wanted to let you know about this…. It’s not exactly a bug but thought you should know, in Sharpcap version 4.0 they implemented a planet stabilization mode, 

“Planetary Stabilization – this option keeps a planet (or other bright disc) in the center of the camera frame by offsetting each image as required. While it won’t help if the planet starts to drift out of view entirely, it will keep the target steady, helping with focus judgements and with outreach presentations.”

if you leave this feature turned on when capturing the ser, Astrosurface will not recognize the planet when you check the Select disk in analyze. You can do a work around by using the select Surface option instead and drawing a roi around the planet.  Just passing it along, I personally don’t see any reason to keep it turned on for capture but it is a useful feature for focusing.

#159 LucienP

LucienP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:28 AM

Hi,

To compute a derotate method as WinJUPOS do takes a lot of time.

Probably 100/150 hours or more... This to begin with.

WinJUPOS works well even computation may take time.

This method is not planned in AstroSurface. smile.gif

Hi Lucien, just wanted to let you know about this…. It’s not exactly a bug but thought you should know, in Sharpcap version 4.0 they implemented a planet stabilization mode, 

“Planetary Stabilization – this option keeps a planet (or other bright disc) in the center of the camera frame by offsetting each image as required. While it won’t help if the planet starts to drift out of view entirely, it will keep the target steady, helping with focus judgements and with outreach presentations.”

if you leave this feature turned on when capturing the ser, Astrosurface will not recognize the planet when you check the Select disk in analyze. You can do a work around by using the select Surface option instead and drawing a roi around the planet.  Just passing it along, I personally don’t see any reason to keep it turned on for capture but it is a useful feature for focusing.

I use Stabilization method in FireCapture, not tested in SharpCap.

This to focus and to capture planetary frames.

No problem for me after in AstroSurface.

If the planet is not recognized, try to a adjust le Offset level (DISK DETECT ADU) in Analyze-Register the click DETECT...

Lucien

#160 Jairo

Jairo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brazil, BA

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:36 PM

I enjoyed Astrosurface a lot! It's like a combination of everything good about AutoStakkert and Fitswork.

Just two bad things:

1) I have no idea of how to select multiple pictures; I can only stack videos. It keeps complaining ad infinitum that the picture files "don't have the right naming", whatever that could mean.

2) It provides no way to contact the author to ask such a thing.

Does anyone know anything about these?

• LucienP likes this

#161 LucienP

LucienP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2021 - 03:22 AM

Hello Jairo,

Of course, it is possible to load a list of files in AstroSurface.

To do this, use the usual keys of keyboard as for a MICROSOFT multiple files selection.

Shift and Control keys : see Goggle : Multiple Files selection in WIndows...

In current version AstroSurface REDSHIFT 1 (or R1),

there is another way to select a list of files :

now it is possible to select ONLY one file and the software select all the list !

Of course it is possible to select with MICROSOFT Keys also.

BUT :  selections are now limited to files that must have the same ROOT and a digital incremental number !  (gaps are allowed)

Example :  Saturn-1  Saturn-7  Saturn-14....   or     Moon_0    Moon_1   Moon_13  Moon_19....

or Uranus01   Uranus02...

It is not possible now to select various names as :   Saturn-A   Sat_1  Sat12...   as previously !

Of course all files must have same pixel size and depth.

There is a method to rename a list of files.

See menu Files then Rename List of Files.

Example rename : DSC-2225 to 2244  in   dark-1 to dark-19.

But this is optional.

Sorry for the contact of author.  It will specified later.

Best regards,

JPS

Edited by LucienP, 17 August 2021 - 06:46 AM.

#162 LucienP

LucienP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2021 - 03:31 AM

It is possible to convert one to four lists of RAW files made by a photographic camera : CANON, SONY, NIKON....

( Renamed optionally )

See menu  Files   then   Open List Of Files : Raw Digital Decode

or the same in the menu 1_Configure-Decode...

Edited by LucienP, 17 August 2021 - 06:01 AM.

#163 Jairo

Jairo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brazil, BA

Posted 17 August 2021 - 10:10 AM

Thank you! I'll try to rename them like that.

They were using Windows default parentheses, like photo(1), photo(2)... and so on.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics