•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Installing a finderscope on my C11 EdgeHD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The_8_Bit_Zombie

The_8_Bit_Zombie

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:03 AM

I'm installing a Baader SkySurfer III onto my C11 EdgeHD. Just double checking that I have all the steps down, because I'm worried about damaging the primary mirror.

So if my understanding is correct, I unscrew the two screws circled in red, place my finderscope bracket over the slot, and just screw the same screws back in? My finderscope bracket is very thin so I don't think I need to use different screws; I'm not sure it even came with any.

p2Tab3R.jpg

Am I missing/messing up anything? Thanks

#2 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:27 AM

That is correct.  If the finder scope loosens up, you might need to use longer screws.  

• The_8_Bit_Zombie likes this

#3 The_8_Bit_Zombie

The_8_Bit_Zombie

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:29 AM

Alright thanks!

Edited by The_8_Bit_Zombie, 13 July 2020 - 04:31 AM.

#4 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Soyuz

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:40 AM

You're right to be concerned about damaging the primary mirror. Using longer screws could come into contact with mirror, causing a possible chip. It's happened before to others. Take care...

#5 Duncan Kitchin

Duncan Kitchin

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Beaverton, OR, USA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:14 PM

Yes, there are three pairs of screws available on the rear cell for accessory mounting, including the pair that is intended for mounting a top rail. I have stuff mounted on both the left and right pairs on mine.

If you remove the vent cover and screen temporarily, you can look around inside with a flashlight and get a pretty good idea of how everything is mechanically arranged behind those screws. You should have a bit of clearance, but you don't want to use screws that are that much longer.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics