•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

120 or 150 90° Apo Bino?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alexandr4

alexandr4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:03 AM

Hello,

I have a 100 Apo Bino and i am very glad about it. But i would like something more powerfull for galaxies (amas virgo...), and i don't know what to choose between the 120 or the 150 Apo Bino.

And also, i will carry it with my car to go in the mountains.

What can be seen in the 150, for example, about M51... M65.. and others... and did you make the comparison with a 120mm?

best regards,

Alex

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:22 AM

I'm in the same boat; got the 100mm and occasionally think about the 120 and 150. The APM 120 ED APO has attracted positive reviews... and cost half as much as the 150s. But the 150's accommodate two-inch eyepieces! I'll be interested to see what owners may have to say. If I were to get the 150's... I'd put them in my "roll-out" shed, or possibly permanently mounted on the back deck... Which means I'll put it off until I see the doctor about (possibly) removing the giant floater in my left eye... appointment two days from now!   Tom

#3 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:10 AM

My 120’s are easily portable and mountable one handed. I guess I would be interested to know from 150 owners how they go transporting them and mounting/unmounting them.

I like the observing with my 120’s a lot, they are one of my favourite setups under dark skies. I’m sure the 150’s are more of the same goodness. My query is if they are transportable, or benefit from permanent mounting.

#4 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:10 AM

The 150 is marginally transportable.  If you plan ahead, and can get your vehicle close to where you can place the binocular in its protective case, it is not too bad.  The 150 is much easier to carry alone out of the case than in it.  The case is very large and awkward to handle.  It has small wheels under one end, but these do not do well on anything but smooth surfaces.

I can lift the case with binocular inside into a vehicle, but it's a grunt.  Even more difficult is mounting it in the APM fork mount.  One must be very careful to not get the tubes of the binocular against the side of the fork and ding them.  Also injury and dropping it are always concerns.

If you plan on moving it around in a vehicle a lot I would recommend the 120. If you have a suitable vehicle, (pickup truck, van, or something with a large door and flat floor), and can develop a good system for loading and mounting it, the 150 can be workable.  I have transported mine in my pickup, but usually take my Lunt 100 instead.  It is MUCH easier.

My 150 is more or less permanently mounted on a home-made dolly with large wheels allowing it to be rolled in and out of the shop where it resides to about any location in the yard at home.

Rick

• Stellarfire, ArsMachina, Allan Wade and 2 others like this

#5 tmichaelbanks

tmichaelbanks

Mariner 2

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:07 AM

Tom, best wishes for your doctor's visit to remove the floater.

I didn't know that floaters could be removed.  My understanding is that there wasn't a good replacement for the vitreous humor and so it (and the floaters) are typically left alone.  Would the floater be selectively zapped with a laser or something?

#6 alexandr4

alexandr4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:45 AM

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your informations. Have you tried the 120 too?

Are you going in the Deep sky with the 150?

best

#7 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:42 AM

It is a 45 degrees BT, but the Oberwerk BT 127 XL-SD  (SD glass)  is certainly interesting, the white finish looks great too.

https://oberwerk.com...ular-telescope/

#8 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rocky Mountains

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:59 AM

It is a 45 degrees BT, but the Oberwerk BT 127 XL-SD  (SD glass)  is certainly interesting, the white finish looks great too.

https://oberwerk.com...ular-telescope/

Certainly possibly an excellent alternative. Very interesting that Kevin shows it mounted on a N12 head and it actually doesn't  look overloaded.

#9 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:31 PM

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your informations. Have you tried the 120 too?

Are you going in the Deep sky with the 150?

best

Hello alexandr4,

Unfortunately, I do not have the 120.  Yes I do some deep sky with the 150.  It is much better than the Lunt, (APM) 100 that I have.  There is an excellent thread in this forum by ZX12 about his 150.  He also had a 120, but as I recall, he sold it after getting the 150.  His 150 is mainly used in his  observatory.

If you can find that thread, there is a lot of good information. 

Rick

• ArsMachina likes this

#10 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:41 PM

The focal length of the Oberwerk 127 BT is only 650mm... that's only F# 5.1 !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics