•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light with Explore Scientific127mm FCD100 CF!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hax

Hax

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: PEI Canada

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:35 AM

I recently pulled the trigger on an ES127 FCD100, and naturally the day it showed up I was cursed with a few weeks of clouds. Well last night my and my girlfriend were having a fire and some wine, and the weather looked decent(only for an hour or 2 but I needed to try my luck!) Thankfully it was mostly clear from around 11-12:30ish. So I set up in the yard maybe 20 ft away from the fire pit. I have the scope sitting on my Orion Spaceprobes tripod/mount, as I’m not quite sure what mount I’ll be going after for the tube yet. I should also mention that the eyepieces I’m using are just the standard Orion 10mm and 25mm plossl EPs from the spaceprobe.

So I turned the scope towards Jupiter, and MAAAAN what a difference between that and my Orion spaceprobe. HUGE upgrade! We could clearly make out multiple pale and cream coloured bands on the planet, and even though we were battling wind, intermittent clouds, and a generally humid and moist environment, it was crisp as anything! We could also clearly make out the 4 Galilean moons, and I think a few of the smaller ones too!

After we had our fun with Jupiter we looked over to Saturn to see how it would look. We don’t have any accessories at all for the scope yet so without tracking or a finder scope of any kind it was a little challenging but sooo fun to locate Saturn. When viewing it it was quite bright(as was Jupiter) but we could VERY clearly make out the rings! Not just 1 big image of a ring but you could almost see multiple rings forming one larger entity! And I’m not totally sure but I’m pretty sure I could see a moon or 2 orbiting the planet as well. After about a half hour on Saturn the clouds rolled in and the night was over.. but both of us were mind blown!
I think the most magnificent part of the night was when I showed my girlfriend Jupiter and I just heard a little gasp from her as she peered into the eyepiece! Just fantastic!

All in all it was a perfect night dispite the clouds, and I’m learning so much already! My current future plans are to invest into a mount, then maybe a filter or 2(I have a moon filter already) and a couple ES or TV eyepiece. All in good time! Thanks to anyone who took the time to read my first light report, and thanks to all from CN for the wealth of information and knowledge we share here!

-James

Edited by Hax, 13 July 2020 - 06:38 AM.

• coopman, Jon_Doh, Gipht and 2 others like this

#2 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:00 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience and nice write-up. Congrats on the scope!

#3 spereira

spereira

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:13 AM

Moving to Refractors ...

smp

#4 droe

droe

Viking 1

• Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:50 AM

That is an excellent scope. Just wait till you see the Moon with that scope, simply breath-taking.

#5 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:54 AM

Congratulations on your refractor.  A fine instrument will show you pleasing details like this.  It's a fine investment that will give you years of pleasure.  Wait til this winter and you look at the Orion :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics