•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

William Optics Z 126 EDO APO FLATTENER / REDUCER

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cc2014

cc2014

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: London

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:11 AM

Hi guys and girls

Im looking for the correct flattener/reducer for my WO 126 EDO APO.... but searching and searching there is not clear advice of which is the right model for or or instructions to attach it. Very clear for many other models but the 126 !!!

Any chance of someone have one and the how to attach ?

Thanks in advance!!!

Carlos 

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:52 AM

WO site states the P-FLAT68III.

Although it reads as a flattener only, not reducer, well it does on the page for it but reads as a reducer/flattener on the ZS126 page. Also reads as £500-600.

WO Flat-68III

Cannot see the 126 as an option for the others.

Does it have to be a reducer?

If not I would look into adaptor rings to attach something like a more standard flattener from WO, one that costs less basically. See what FLO have to offer as they work with Astro Engineering and they seem to have an assortment of thread adaptors.

The Flattener 7A says Z126 and reducers by 0.8, at least in the blurb on the the page:

WO Flat7A

Just still in the £600-600 area I expect.

Will say the WO site is a mess. At a guess 2/3 is out of stock or discontinued. So digging out the relevant items is tortuous.

• cc2014 likes this

#3 cc2014

cc2014

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:06 AM

100% agree !!! WO page is not the most useful link at all. And the exorbitant price of the "right one"... come on... I can live without one if thats the case hahahaa.

An adapter for the ring would be a solution... here on the 126 I have a thread of 60mm, the affordable reducer the P-FlatTAIII have 63 mm .... damm it !!!... 

As you suggest I guess I will go for a standard one... any recommendation ? basically Im trying to fit bigger objects on my 126 ... no issues with the speed tbh, good guidance so far.

Thanks !!!  

WO site states the P-FLAT68III.

Although it reads as a flattener only, not reducer, well it does on the page for it but reads as a reducer/flattener on the ZS126 page. Also reads as £500-600.

WO Flat-68III

Cannot see the 126 as an option for the others.

Does it have to be a reducer?

If not I would look into adaptor rings to attach something like a more standard flattener from WO, one that costs less basically. See what FLO have to offer as they work with Astro Engineering and they seem to have an assortment of thread adaptors.

The Flattener 7A says Z126 and reducers by 0.8, at least in the blurb on the the page:

WO Flat7A

Just still in the £600-600 area I expect.

Will say the WO site is a mess. At a guess 2/3 is out of stock or discontinued. So digging out the relevant items is tortuous.

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:46 PM

100% agree !!! WO page is not the most useful link at all. And the exorbitant price of the "right one"... come on... I can live without one if thats the case hahahaa.

An adapter for the ring would be a solution... here on the 126 I have a thread of 60mm, the affordable reducer the P-FlatTAIII have 63 mm .... damm it !!!... 

As you suggest I guess I will go for a standard one... any recommendation ? basically Im trying to fit bigger objects on my 126 ... no issues with the speed tbh, good guidance so far.

Thanks !!!  

You have threads on the back of the ZS126 focuser of 92mm -- not 60mm.

That's why the PFLAT68III (flattener only) or the FLAT7A (0.8x reducer/flattener) are specified to work with the ZS126.  They also have 92mm threads (on the front).

Yes, they're both around $600.  You're in "everything costs more" territory with the big size of the scope and flatteners/reducers.

I use the PFLAT6AIII on both my GT71 and ZS103.  It won't fit on your ZS103, nor will it correct it well (different focal ratios).

BTW, the WO website shows both the FLAT68III and the FLAT7A in-stock.

"How to attach" is simple:  remove the three little "locking" allen screws on the 2" focuser attachment.  Then unscrew it from the focuser.  Screw the flattener/reducer onto the focuser.  You're all set.

Edited by OldManSky, 13 July 2020 - 02:48 PM.

• cc2014 likes this

#5 cc2014

cc2014

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:19 PM

Oh I see.... I wrongly tough the reducers goes on the first hole after I removed the eyepiece holder (complete) thats 60mm. Mmmm... is there any other option to use on this? or it is what it is and pay the price? its too much for me nowadays anyway.... C'est la vie !!!  

You have threads on the back of the ZS126 focuser of 92mm -- not 60mm.

That's why the PFLAT68III (flattener only) or the FLAT7A (0.8x reducer/flattener) are specified to work with the ZS126.  They also have 92mm threads (on the front).

Yes, they're both around $600.  You're in "everything costs more" territory with the big size of the scope and flatteners/reducers.

I use the PFLAT6AIII on both my GT71 and ZS103.  It won't fit on your ZS103, nor will it correct it well (different focal ratios).

BTW, the WO website shows both the FLAT68III and the FLAT7A in-stock.

"How to attach" is simple:  remove the three little "locking" allen screws on the 2" focuser attachment.  Then unscrew it from the focuser.  Screw the flattener/reducer onto the focuser.  You're all set.

#6 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:30 PM

Oh I see.... I wrongly tough the reducers goes on the first hole after I removed the eyepiece holder (complete) thats 60mm. Mmmm... is there any other option to use on this? or it is what it is and pay the price? its too much for me nowadays anyway.... C'est la vie !!!  

You might try some other flatteners/reducers, but that might be an expensive way to do it (buying things to see if they work, and selling them at a loss if they don't...?).  Just be sure to try ones designed for the native focal ratio of the 126 (f/7.7).  And be aware that ones designed to fit into a 2" focuser might vignette (maybe rather severely) at the back end.

I have to ask...didn't you research this aspect before you bought the ZS126?  I mean, this shouldn't be a surprise...?

• cc2014 likes this

#7 cc2014

cc2014

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:58 AM

No tbh didnt check the options as my intention, basically, is use more the reducer part of it rather than the flattener... I normally crop a lot on the final image and the stars are fine (for me). my intention its make the Z126 more versatile in terms of focal length... and of course gain a bit of f/ 

Agreed try and error will be expensive.  Oh dear... new refractor? lol.gif

You might try some other flatteners/reducers, but that might be an expensive way to do it (buying things to see if they work, and selling them at a loss if they don't...?).  Just be sure to try ones designed for the native focal ratio of the 126 (f/7.7).  And be aware that ones designed to fit into a 2" focuser might vignette (maybe rather severely) at the back end.

I have to ask...didn't you research this aspect before you bought the ZS126?  I mean, this shouldn't be a surprise...?

#8 PurdyWelds

PurdyWelds

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:18 PM

I use the Pflat 6a11 with mine with good results.The only problem is it's not a threaded connection at the scope. You will need the push in adapter Wd dig 2a. The Pflat 6a11 has been replaced with the 6a111 and I'm not sure it will work.

#9 PurdyWelds

PurdyWelds

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:18 PM

I use the Pflat 6a11 with mine with good results.The only problem is it's not a threaded connection at the scope. You will need the push in adapter Wd dig 2a. The Pflat 6a11 has been replaced with the 6a111 and I'm not sure it will work.
  • cc2014 likes this

#10 lookbackintime

lookbackintime

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:52 PM

Glad to find this thread.  x0.8 Reducer Flattener 7A for $600 is steep for a $2,200 telescope.  20% reduction to ƒ 6.2 is, however, enticing.. For the mathemetically gifted, please explain to me if a 20% reduction means that a 300 sec exposure would take 240 secs with the reducer on such a setup (without getting into a discussion of reduced resolution.)

The m92 thread presents a challenge to adapting 3rd party reducers. If anyone finds one that works, please let me know.

I don't need the flattening aspect that much yet, as i use an ASI533mc, which is 11.3 mm x 11.3 mm., well within the image circle.

#11 tonyt

tonyt

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:09 AM

Glad to find this thread.  x0.8 Reducer Flattener 7A for $600 is steep for a $2,200 telescope.  20% reduction to ƒ 6.2 is, however, enticing.. For the mathemetically gifted, please explain to me if a 20% reduction means that a 300 sec exposure would take 240 secs with the reducer on such a setup (without getting into a discussion of reduced resolution.)

The m92 thread presents a challenge to adapting 3rd party reducers. If anyone finds one that works, please let me know.

I don't need the flattening aspect that much yet, as i use an ASI533mc, which is 11.3 mm x 11.3 mm., well within the image circle.

If you're after speed look at the Starizona Apex 0.65 reducer. For smaller chips it works well on a variety of refractors. I just sold my Apex L version in favour of a full frame reducer.

• lookbackintime likes this

#12 lookbackintime

lookbackintime

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:27 PM

Thanks @tonyt.  I'll check it out.  With adapters, it would be about $100 less expensive, and it would be a greater reduction in ƒ stop, which would be nice.

#13 tonyt

tonyt

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:37 PM

Thanks @tonyt.  I'll check it out.  With adapters, it would be about $100 less expensive, and it would be a greater reduction in ƒ stop, which would be nice.

You can also use the Apex reducer without a threaded connection. I used it in a Baader clicklock and a simple brass compression ring visual back succesfully. 

#14 tonyt

tonyt

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:49 PM

Hi guys and girls

Im looking for the correct flattener/reducer for my WO 126 EDO APO.... but searching and searching there is not clear advice of which is the right model for or or instructions to attach it. Very clear for many other models but the 126 !!!

Any chance of someone have one and the how to attach ?

Thanks in advance!!!

Carlos 

You could look at the options from TS in Germany. They offer the TSRED379 (same optics as the WO Flattener 7). You'd need the optional 92mm to 68mm adapter ring sold by TS (to fit the reducer to the camera rotator).

https://www.teleskop...ig-sensors.html

They also sell the TSAPORED075 but it requires 180mm of backfocus. You'd need the M82 to M68 adapter as well as the 92 to 68 adapter to connect this reducer to your camera rotator, assuming your scope has the required backfocus. If more backfocus was needed you could ask TS to make a custom adapter to fit the TSAPORED075 directly to the M83 thread in the WO drawtube (after removing the camera rotator).

https://www.teleskop...ed-sensors.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics