•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best website or app for location prediction?

observing
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zahtaj

zahtaj

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:11 PM

I very much like the website Night & Day for finding locations of the planets. If I want to see Jupiter tonight, for example, I can click on it and see in real time as I scrub along the timeline where the planet will be in the sky. In particular, this helps me easily figure out the best time to go out, where to look, etc. Unfortunately, this feature seems limited to just the planets. Is there something similar (website, app) that would work for a larger class of objects, e.g., galaxies, comets, etc.? Most apps will let you look up an object and show you where it is *right now*, and some will let you key in a date and time, but I've seen nothing quite as handy as the Night & Sky offering. Any suggestions?

#2 kathyastro

kathyastro

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:15 PM

I have used Stellarium for years.  There are other, similar planetarium apps as well.

• zahtaj likes this

#3 Tapio

Tapio

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:26 PM

Also online:
https://stellarium-web.org/

• zahtaj likes this

#4 BJ4232

BJ4232

Lift Off

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:41 PM

Another vote for Stellarium. 

Free download. I like it a lot. 

Takes a bit to get the settings tweaked right, but worth the time. 

• zahtaj likes this

#5 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:45 PM

Stellarium is good for a PC or laptop. The mobile version for a phone isn't quite as good.

For a phone Skysafari is a better option.

• BFaucett and zahtaj like this

#6 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Vanguard

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:53 PM

Yes for Stellarium. Spend some time getting the settings right for your needs. The defaults are all info turned on when the cursor highlights and object. This is overkill for most humans.

Yes for Sky Safari for a phone or tablet. It costs a little bit, but it is tremendously worth the price. The Plus version (middle version) should suit your needs nicely.

• airbleeder, BFaucett and zahtaj like this

#7 zahtaj

zahtaj

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:05 PM

Thanks, everyone. Stellarium on the web seems easy enough, though I can't figure out how to get precise coordinates on an object. (I need to zoom in and read it off the lines.) I downloaded the desktop version and it seems much harder to use, but I guess that's just a matter of learning my way around. But anyway, it's just what I was looking for. Many thanks!

#8 Ursa Minor

Ursa Minor

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis, Mo. USA

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:15 PM

I cannot get the app to install on my Nextbook no matter what I do. It takes me to PayPal to login, then nothing. It's getting to be very frustrating. The web app works great though, and has become my favorite go-to place for information. I do wish they'd included asterisms though, as that's how I manage to find most stuff I'm looking for.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics