•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NEQ6 & PDS250 3-Star Alignment Failure

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Maddad

Maddad

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Yorkshire, England

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:12 PM

Am new to EQ mounts having previously owned an LX200. Having completed polar alignment, I think, and checked main scope and finder scope are centred on Polaris, I then go for the 3-star alignment having entered Lon, Lat and Altitude. Arcturus is the first star it tries to slew to, but the scope ends up pointing just above the horizon, and about 45ā€™ to the west, way off. I therefore manually slewed it to Arcturus, using hand controller, and entered it, then selected Merek and Vega for the next two stars and it found them almost perfectly. However, after the 3rd star, Vega, it then says 3-Star alignment failed. Iā€™m obviously doing something wrong. Can anyone please help a beginner to EQ goto mounts. PS I did make the Alt-Az manual adjustments as part of the polar alignment.

Regards

Perry

#2 endlessky

endlessky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Padova, Italy

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:44 PM

Hi, I have a NEQ6 as well, and I could never get the mount pointing at the first star correctly. At least, not with the hand-controller. I think the firmware is too old, or the time/date I enter at start up are wrong or in the wrong format. I choose the first star and the mount slews, but it's off by quite a bit. I manually center the star (using the arrow keys, without disengaging the clutches), and then the following GO-TOs are more and more precise as they go.

The reason I say it is the hand-controller is because after I started using a laptop and a planetarium software (Cartes du Ciel or KStars, for example), where the date and time are correctly sent from the laptop to the mount, the mount would slew almost perfectly even when pointing at the first star.

However, I never got the message of alignment failure that you are getting. I don't know what that could depend on. You didn't move the axes of the mount manually (you said you used the hand-controller keys) right? Have you tried with a laptop, without the hand-controller? Maybe your problem is similar to mine, after all.

Hope this helps!

Edited by endlessky, 13 July 2020 - 04:45 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics