•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zeissitis

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#251 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:13 AM

Last week i received a Mak 127 as a loan during the Easter holidays. After years observing with G&G scopes up to 102 mm, i was surprised how much can i see in M42. That made me reconsider the ownership of my Zeiss Telementor..... only 63 mm at all.... should i sell it and get a newer one? 

But, i gave another chance to the Telementor...  what a fool i was!!!   As the night was surprisingly calm, i decided to chase galaxies in Canes Venatici to test -again-  how much can i see with 63 mm in my light polluted backyard.    M51, M63 and M94 appeared clearly defined against a dark blue sky... the contrast was amazing, the stars were sharp and, with the wide fields EP´s, i got a pleasant view that make me forget the mak views. 

Zeiss T2 garden.jpg

This is why i like my little aperture Zeiss...

Carlos

• R Botero, Kevin Barker, Sergey Stern and 6 others like this

#252 Muffin Research

Muffin Research

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:20 AM

You are absolutely right ,Vahe. There are other scopes made to the same exacting standards.
Zeiss is however iconic and no longer made. I bet if Takahashi or TEC etc stopped making scopes folks would be having similar discussions years later.
There is always a spot for products of the highest quality.

It will be hard to get to Zeiss level or reputation though.. as the historic thing is there with Zeiss & Abbe & Jena University paving the way well over 100 years ago. 

• blakestree likes this

#253 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Vanguard

• Loc: Germany

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:52 AM

It will be hard to get to Zeiss level or reputation though.. as the historic thing is there with Zeiss & Abbe & Jena University paving the way well over 100 years ago. 

... but the Zeiss astronomy is gone with the turbulent winds around the unification of Germany.

I am sorry,

JG

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#254 Muffin Research

Muffin Research

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:22 AM

Well shake your fist at the Geschäftsführer and Interessengruppen at the time for making those decisions. 

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#255 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 09 April 2021 - 02:09 AM

... but the Zeiss astronomy is gone with the turbulent winds around the unification of Germany.

I am sorry,

JG

A personal reflection from a enthusiast:

I still ask myself why the Zeiss astro division was closed. There has been always a niche for quality astro-equipment. It was not that Zeiss lost the battle against Takahashi, AP or TEC , but they just left the game...  The same effort involved in development of binoculars could have been continued for telescopes, as the know how was there, maybe with less products or with scopes on demand.

Well, i growth hearing how amazing were the Zeiss optics from people that even did not have access to the scopes and binoculars. We are lucky today to have several top tier options, at the level of Zeiss (or even above?), but certainly Zeiss is missed among them and even for relatively young people (like me) to own a functional piece of this heritage and history, is to share the pride to have what was the best at some point in time. (I still can not afford a Takahashi lol.gif )

So, enjoy what was left to us.

Clear skies to all!

Carlos

Edited by Corcaroli78, 09 April 2021 - 02:09 AM.

• j.gardavsky and cavecollector like this

#256 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Vanguard

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:48 AM

Zeiss used to make money on the big projects, like the astronomy observatories.

And made even more money on the gunmen bullseyes, so they have been forced to comission some of the manufacturing to other companies Germany in past.

The latest Zeiss bullseyes, I have seen on a pic, makes a pair on a periscope decorated with the big blue ZEISS letters, on a sub manufactured in Germany.

Takahashi telescopes, as a counter example, is technlogically operating in a backyard of Canon.

Similar could be made in Germany in the backyards of Leica and Zeiss, but nobody cares, so far brewing beer is easier and more profitable.

Sorry,

JG

• Astrojensen, R Botero, Corcaroli78 and 1 other like this

#257 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Vanguard

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:26 AM

Re #257

Anyone who makes a big deal about how great the optical quality of Bader diagonals are should test them and compare the results with the older German made versions. Yes, they're still really good but not as good as the German versions. Takahashi uses high quality Japanese prisms and I have been reading an increasing number of comments from users who feel the optical quality is better with the Takahashi prisms (mechanical design is better with the Baader though).

The older "German made versions" of the prism diagonals with the high quality military specifications, have been mostly manufactured by Rodenstock in Munich. If manufactured for the astronomy telescopes, they would cost a multiple of what we are paying for even the most expensive Baaders.

I have the 1.25" Takahashi zenith prism diagonal, and the Wild Heerbrugg 60mm zenith prism diagonal, and my preference is towards the Swiss made Wild, no doubt.

The unique advantage, and the marketing proposal by Baader are the thin film technologies on their prisms and mirrors, and that's why I have the Baader BBHS 2" zenith mirror. So far I know, Baader applies the thin film technologies in Germany, the rest is made in Asia-Pacific, but as always, nothing is for sure today.

Moreover, it is the art of anodization, or another metal surface treatment, which allows to make a guess where the parts are coming from.

Even with the microscopy eyepieces made in Germany, I can tell you in a blind test if they are coming from Zeiss Göttingen, or Leica Wetzlar vs Singapore, just feeling the outer surface with my fingers.

Other indicators for the area of origin are some details in the optics, especially the mating of the lenses into the doublets or triplets.

Best,

JG

• Astrojensen, Corcaroli78 and Lappe Lad like this

#258 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:18 AM

Today all large companies are profit oriented and the bottom line is what counts.
The big change in the business mentality of these companies is to move away from quality and concentrate on quantity, engineers used to have the final say but that has changed, these days accountants are in charge and they are the ones that dictate how to move forward.

Moving away from Zeiss, another fine example of lowering quality is German auto maker Mercedes Benz, I have driven this brand pretty much all my life, up until 1995 they produced very fine over engineered cars, at about 1996 accountants took over, what they produce today is not much better than most average car in reliability, you are lucky if you Mercedes gives you half the mileage of a Japanese made automobile.

Vahe

• Kunama and Disciplus55 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics