•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zeissitis

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#101 JMKarian

JMKarian

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northwest Pennsylvania

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:30 AM

Zeiss APQ’s are wonderful instruments.  The first time I  looked through and focused the finder, unmounted, I begin to appreciated the optical-mechanical excellence which it exudes.  Love the helical focus, and this 1993 built APQ100/1000 (Strehl 97.7)  is as nice an instrument as I have ever owned or observed with.  

Here with a Q . . . A fun combination

Attached Thumbnails

• 9E6C385C-474D-44B8-80A4-89C1E170D94A.jpeg

• Paul G, doctordub, Scott99 and 18 others like this

#102 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:34 AM

It's a nice site. For this particular lens test the author does identify it as a Zeiss Telementor. Most of the tests he does not probably to avoid being free brand advertisement or criticism. In one test the scope is described as a 101 mm f/5.4 Petzval not to hard to figure out who the manufacturer is:)

As well as a 102 /500  = (my) ST102 from Skywatcher.. by the way de-centered and over corrected... but "useful for low deep sky observing and no morefrown.gif

At least, i have the Zeiss...smile.gif

Carlos

#103 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:36 AM

Zeiss APQ’s are wonderful instruments.  The first time I  looked through and focused the finder, unmounted, I begin to appreciated the optical-mechanical excellence which it exudes.  Love the helical focus, and this 1993 built APQ100/1000 (Strehl 97.7)  is as nice an instrument as I have ever owned or observed with.  

Here with a Q . . . A fun combination

Zeiss OTA + Questar on piggyback + AP diagonal + TV EP. (i do not recognize the mount)....bow.gif

#104 JMKarian

JMKarian

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northwest Pennsylvania

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:33 AM

Zeiss OTA + Questar on piggyback + AP diagonal + TV EP. (i do not recognize the mount)....bow.gif

Thanks Corcaroli78!

A-P 1100

#105 HCR32

HCR32

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne Australia

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:23 AM

Can someone please tell me that visually AS scopes are as sharp
as APQs. I really don’t want to buy one of those as well.my marriage is on the rocks and I think buying one will seal the deal 🤝. At least the scope won’t run off you with another one. Lol.

Edited by HCR32, 30 July 2020 - 09:24 AM.

• 3 i Guy and R Botero like this

#106 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:30 AM

Can someone please tell me that visually AS scopes are as sharp
as APQs. I really don’t want to buy one of those as well.my marriage is on the rocks and I think buying one will seal the deal . At least the scope won’t run off you with another one. Lol.

The AS'es are just as sharp as the APQs. Happy now?

The contrast in the APQs is better, though, especially on very low contrast objects. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Paul G, Corcaroli78, HCR32 and 1 other like this

#107 HCR32

HCR32

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne Australia

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:20 AM

The AS'es are just as sharp as the APQs. Happy now?

The contrast in the APQs is better, though, especially on very low contrast objects.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Thanks Thomas your advise has saved me a lot of legal fees. I’ll just avoid low contrast objects and be happy with my scope and wife. 👍😁
  • Astrojensen, jag767 and 25585 like this

#108 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:57 AM

One thing I came to strongly appreciate last night is the modularity of the Zeiss telescopes. I have suddenly developed a strong pain in my lower back and setting my 152mm APM up is out of the question at the moment. And naturally, it suddenly cleared up shortly after sunset, though it was quite windy... 

But because it's so super easy to take the Zeiss 1b, tripod and telescope apart and put them back together in seconds, I could still get out and observe a little, though it was quite painful at times. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• Sasa likes this

#109 gwd

gwd

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: PyeongTaek ROK

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:48 PM

It seems to me that these -itis threads, due to their popularity, should become topic threads in the "Telescope Specific" forum.  More accurately called brand specific.   

I got my first Zeiss telescope this past year a 3x12.  Not good for astronomy but great for museum exhibits sign reading and as a hand lense.  At close focus it's magnification increases. It works as a tripler in some eye pieces but of course dims the view too much.  

• Bowlerhat and j.gardavsky like this

#110 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:02 PM

Just found this thread today: https://forum.astron...mont-ic.278577/

It almost made me weep. Look at what we lost, when they closed shop in 1995. An autoguiding Zeiss mount, for flip's sake. And that image of the Rosette at the end of the thread, through the APQ100/1000 on the autoguided 1cT mount, is more than a match for what most rigs can put out today. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark 

• Paul G, Scott99, Corcaroli78 and 1 other like this

#111 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Germany

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:33 PM

Hello Thomas,

I agree,

but these times of ZEISS are gone with the wind,

JG

• Paul G, Scott99 and Corcaroli78 like this

#112 edif300

edif300

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Basque Country

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:23 PM

Which dslr he used for Rosette nebula? FF or cropped format?

#113 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 20 August 2020 - 04:34 PM

25-H finally came in the mail. Finally a vendor that would ship here. He included a little more though- a booklet on CZJ microscope manual. Interesting stuff.

• Astrojensen, Corcaroli78, dUbeni and 3 others like this

#114 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

Posted 21 August 2020 - 04:31 AM

25-H finally came in the mail. Finally a vendor that would ship here. He included a little more though- a booklet on CZJ microscope manual. Interesting stuff.

The 25-H is a nice ep. I enjoyed it observing Jupiter and Saturn last year when it came with my Telementor.  I was surprised by its sharpness and control of light scattering. Certainly the fov is narrow, but it is compensated by the quality of the views.

The very best performance was achieved when i used it without the prism or mirror diagonal. I used the Zeiss conical adaptor + extension to observe "a la japanese" and i was shocked of what this small ep can provide.

Carlos 

• Astrojensen, Lappe Lad, gozer and 2 others like this

#115 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 21 August 2020 - 10:55 AM

I felt like weeping after looking at the Zeiss catalog of the early 1900's - they had a full line of triplet apos, mounts & many great eyepieces

• Paul G, Corcaroli78, gozer and 1 other like this

#116 starmason

starmason

Mariner 2

• Loc: Winchester, Va

Posted 23 August 2020 - 07:32 PM

Attached are four pics of my Zeiss Telementor ll with Zeiss Turret and three Zeiss Jena EP's: H-25, 16-H and 10-O.

I was fortunate to have found a finely machined 1.25 inch ep adapter (supplied by a fine gentleman from Deutschland) which fit in the larger threaded ep hole and inserted my excellent Burgess 24mm Modified Erfle.

I wanted to identify that spartan looking OTA with a little color so I added a "Zeiss" logo just for fun.

Optics are pristine.  Focuser = excellent.  Zeiss Turret is a dream come true....so smooth with a prism as perfect as I have ever seen.  The 40mm finder I was fortunate to locate from Germany and the OTA and mount from a French gentleman.  it was a struggle finding all of the extras after receiving the OTA, mount and tripod....almost 2 years to complete this beautiful beast!

A couple of nights ago I observed Jupiter, Saturn, Albireo, a few globular clusters and a few other DSO's in Sagittarius environs.

It never ceases to amaze me how well this small aperture telescope performs at all reasonable powers.  Observing with the turret is a wonderful experience and makes the night always special - even with so little aperture.  Still so many objects to discover with 63mm of excellent glass. 

Guess I said it all....

Clear skies to all Zeiss owners!

George S.

Winchester, Va

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4118a.jpg
  • IMG_4114a.jpg
  • IMG_4116a.jpg
  • IMG_4112a.jpg

Edited by starmason, 23 August 2020 - 07:34 PM.

• Paul G, edif300, payner and 12 others like this

#117 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 23 August 2020 - 08:33 PM

Wow! I’m overwhelmed by all the more than nice Zeiss beauty displayed in this thread. As usual, I’m late to the party but here is my modest Zeiss collection of one early Telementor T1. (I also have a pair of Zeiss 10x50 Decorems at Cory Suddarth’s being rejuvenated.)

Attached Thumbnails

• 6D35144C-B462-446A-9945-31ECCAF1BB9F.jpeg
  • 65E6D02A-39FB-4A42-8852-E314D7C2B30F.jpeg
  • F3C3D5B7-1918-434C-BB83-6D4950392EB6.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 24 August 2020 - 11:51 AM.

• Paul G, starmason, edif300 and 14 others like this

#118 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 23 August 2020 - 08:36 PM

And these, (25-O, 16-O, 10-O, and 6-O):

Attached Thumbnails

• 4192FF57-D36B-4A96-94A0-09A07235A14B.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 23 August 2020 - 08:37 PM.

• Paul G, starmason, Jim Curry and 6 others like this

#119 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 23 August 2020 - 08:53 PM

Everytime I see the turret it would be ultimate to have all eyepiece set with 40-H on it. 

• starmason, Corcaroli78 and Terra Nova like this

#120 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

Posted 24 August 2020 - 05:27 AM

My latest addition: a 10-O eyepiece

O-10 Zeiss.jpg
O-10 lens_cr.jpg

a nice finding and to my surprise, comfortable to the eye

Carlos

• starmason, Jim Curry, HCR32 and 3 others like this

#121 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

Posted 24 August 2020 - 07:17 AM

Attached are four pics of my Zeiss Telementor ll with Zeiss Turret and three Zeiss Jena EP's: H-25, 16-H and 10-O.

I was fortunate to have found a finely machined 1.25 inch ep adapter (supplied by a fine gentleman from Deutschland) which fit in the larger threaded ep hole and inserted my excellent Burgess 24mm Modified Erfle.

I wanted to identify that spartan looking OTA with a little color so I added a "Zeiss" logo just for fun.

Optics are pristine.  Focuser = excellent.  Zeiss Turret is a dream come true....so smooth with a prism as perfect as I have ever seen.  The 40mm finder I was fortunate to locate from Germany and the OTA and mount from a French gentleman.  it was a struggle finding all of the extras after receiving the OTA, mount and tripod....almost 2 years to complete this beautiful beast!

A couple of nights ago I observed Jupiter, Saturn, Albireo, a few globular clusters and a few other DSO's in Sagittarius environs.

It never ceases to amaze me how well this small aperture telescope performs at all reasonable powers.  Observing with the turret is a wonderful experience and makes the night always special - even with so little aperture.  Still so many objects to discover with 63mm of excellent glass. 

Guess I said it all....

Clear skies to all Zeiss owners!

George S.

Winchester, Va

The Telementor II with the Zeiss logo looks very nice. Still the no-brand design speaks for itself as a piece industrial design...

Carlos

• gozer likes this

#122 starmason

starmason

Mariner 2

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:33 AM

The Telementor II with the Zeiss logo looks very nice. Still the no-brand design speaks for itself as a piece industrial design...

Carlos

Carlos,

Yes that "No Brand" was perfect for the dystopian (Soviet?) East Germany manufacturing philosophy at that time.  The later model made in West (or Unified Germany) had a Zeiss logo - and specifications printed at the top - to make it more marketable, probably.  I would love to have one of those later models with the dark brown wooden tripod.  It just looked so "special".  bow.gif

The "tank-like" build and "almost" perfect optics make the T-1 and T-2 models very special observing platform instruments.  After all these years my Telementor is still almost as pristine as the day it was shipped from the East German Zeiss Jena factory.  The amazing thing is that the QC was consistently excellent, considering how the Soviets "oversaw" operations of most factories over there and materials were tough to find to build anything post WW2.  East Germany may not have been a "top priority" to USSR.  Zeiss pride kept them operating at a high level of quality, though, and that can be seen in their Zeiss Jena binocular models and telescopes still in use today.

.....so, yes, that howitzer-looking OTA definitely has that "industrial design look" and that is what makes it so unique and special.  Those "School Telescopes" survived many years of use and probably still function well.  Mine looks like it was treated with "kid gloves" so I feel very fortunate to have been offered this to purchase around 6 years ago.

Viewing the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn the other night, under steady skies, was another wonderful experience with my "industrial" looking Zeiss.  smile.gif

Clear skies, 

Geo

Winchester, Va

• Corcaroli78, Terra Nova and gozer like this

#123 starmason

starmason

Mariner 2

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:41 AM

Wow! I’m overwhelmed by all the more than nice Zeiss beauty displayed in this thread. As usual, I’m lated to the party but here is my modest Zeiss collection of one early Telementor T1. (I also have a pair of Zeiss 10x50 Decorems at Cory Suddarth’s being rejuvenated.)

Terra, 

Your T-1 looks great!  I especially like the hardwood Tripod Tray.  Did you build that and the accessory box on it?  Is is oak?

The blue metal try, on mine, is functional but lacks any "warmth", while yours is functional as well as beautiful.  If you have any specs or drawings I would enjoy building one of those for my T-2 also.

BTW, Cory Suddarth cleaned and colllimated a few of my older binos and vintage zoom eyepiece and they all worked "like -new" when returned.  

Clear skies, 

George

Winchester, Va

• Corcaroli78, Terra Nova and gozer like this

#124 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 24 August 2020 - 11:12 AM

Everytime I see the turret it would be ultimate to have all eyepiece set with 40-H on it. 

Well, I have one and... Honestly, they're not all that good, compared to modern eyepieces. A 40 mm 1.25" plössl is a vast improvement and a 42 mm Superview Erfle is in another league entirely. 

The turret is another matter. Very nicely made. The prism in mine is not as good as the prism in my Baader T2 amici prism diagonal, though, but I never noticed that, until I did a comparison.   

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Giorgio65, Corcaroli78, gozer and 1 other like this

#125 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 24 August 2020 - 11:16 AM

Here's a Zeiss accessory you don't see all too often: The solar projection screen for the Telementor/Telemator. CN absolutely refuses to show the picture the right side up, so you'll have to imagine that. 

gallery_55742_4772_68622.jpg

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Paul G, starmason, payner and 6 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics