•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zeissitis

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#126 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 24 August 2020 - 12:13 PM

Terra, 

Your T-1 looks great!  I especially like the hardwood Tripod Tray.  Did you build that and the accessory box on it?  Is is oak?

The blue metal try, on mine, is functional but lacks any "warmth", while yours is functional as well as beautiful.  If you have any specs or drawings I would enjoy building one of those for my T-2 also.

BTW, Cory Suddarth cleaned and colllimated a few of my older binos and vintage zoom eyepiece and they all worked "like -new" when returned.  

Clear skies, 

George

Winchester, Va

Hi George,

Thank you. I have the leather spreader straps but I put them away as I like the rigidity that a locking tray gives a tripod much more. I didn’t make it myself. It was made for me by a good friend who is a cabinet maker and master woodworker several years ago. The wood is baltic birch and it has three coats of Minwax polyurethane on it. The locking knobs came from Lowes. I don’t have any drawings but its an equilateral triangle approximately 17” on a side (vertex to vertex) with the vertices cut off. The box was finished the same way and is lined with green felt. It came unfinished from Michael’s Crafts. I polyurethaned it as well and lined it. I wanted them to match the lovely light wood of the Zeiss tripod as best I could.

Edited by Terra Nova, 24 August 2020 - 12:14 PM.

• Astrojensen, Corcaroli78, JMKarian and 2 others like this

#127 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:32 PM

Well, I have one and... Honestly, they're not all that good, compared to modern eyepieces. A 40 mm 1.25" plössl is a vast improvement and a 42 mm Superview Erfle is in another league entirely. 

The turret is another matter. Very nicely made. The prism in mine is not as good as the prism in my Baader T2 amici prism diagonal, though, but I never noticed that, until I did a comparison.   

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

I actually realized there are two 40-H eyepieces-the conical one and the tubular one with bevel. Are they similar to each other?

#128 starmason

starmason

Mariner 2

• Loc: Winchester, Va

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:46 PM

Hi George,

Thank you. I have the leather spreader straps but I put them away as I like the rigidity that a locking tray gives a tripod much more. I didn’t make it myself. It was made for me by a good friend who is a cabinet maker and master woodworker several years ago. The wood is baltic birch and it has three coats of Minwax polyurethane on it. The locking knobs came from Lowes. I don’t have any drawings but its an equilateral triangle approximately 17” on a side (vertex to vertex) with the vertices cut off. The box was finished the same way and is lined with green felt. It came unfinished from Michael’s Crafts. I polyurethaned it as well and lined it. I wanted them to match the lovely light wood of the Zeiss tripod as best I could.

Terra,

Thank you for the info. It really finishes off that classic telescope nicely!   Baltic birch plywood is what Tom Noe built my 10 inch Teleport with. Excellent strength and great finish for cabinet. Tough material to find lately.  

Clear skies and stay well.

Geo

NW Virginia

• Terra Nova likes this

#129 starmason

starmason

Mariner 2

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:49 PM

Here's a Zeiss accessory you don't see all too often: The solar projection screen for the Telementor/Telemator. CN absolutely refuses to show the picture the right side up, so you'll have to imagine that. 

gallery_55742_4772_68622.jpg

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Here's a Zeiss accessory you don't see all too often: The solar projection screen for the Telementor/Telemator. CN absolutely refuses to show the picture the right side up, so you'll have to imagine that. 

gallery_55742_4772_68622.jpg

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Yes.  Been searching for one of those for years to no avail...

• Daniel Mounsey, Corcaroli78 and Terra Nova like this

#130 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

Posted 24 August 2020 - 05:12 PM

Yes.  Been searching for one of those for years to no avail...

It comes up on ebay time to time, but as other jenas accesories, they're rare.

https://picclick.de/...2508922687.html

https://picclick.fr/...2622593197.html

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#131 starmason

starmason

Mariner 2

Posted 24 August 2020 - 06:40 PM

It comes up on ebay time to time, but as other jenas accesories, they're rare.

https://picclick.de/...2508922687.html

https://picclick.fr/...2622593197.html

Thank you.  Trouble is purchasing from that European based website.  Don't know if they will ship to the USA.

Also can that site be translated to English?

Thank you.

George Saar

Winchester, Va

#132 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

Posted 24 August 2020 - 07:00 PM

Thank you.  Trouble is purchasing from that European based website.  Don't know if they will ship to the USA.

Also can that site be translated to English?

Thank you.

George Saar

Winchester, Va

George,

Both of them were sold, in 2017 and 2018 on ebay. I just pointed out that it may be possible to find it in the market someday.

If you look out often time to time it comes with telementor package.

I saw this one, sold on ebay as well (no info on year)

Carl-Zeiss-Jena-Refraktor-Teleskop-Telem

Also this telementor package (unsold in 2019):

https://picclick.de/...3564265605.html

Carl-Zeiss-Jena-Telementor-Teleskop-Refr

I would try contacting the vendor, maybe he still got it (https://www.ebay.de/...=p2047675.l2559)

And another thing, the website is not in german, but it archives the past ads from german.de ebay. 

Edited by Bowlerhat, 24 August 2020 - 07:03 PM.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#133 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Germany

Posted 25 August 2020 - 03:58 AM

Here is one more,

https://www.ebay.de/...VMAAOSwS-xfQBQm

offered for an insane price,

JG

PS: Other Zeiss stuff on eBay, https://www.ebay.de/...pe&_sacat=28179

Edited by j.gardavsky, 25 August 2020 - 03:59 AM.

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#134 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

Posted 25 August 2020 - 04:32 AM

Here is one more,

JG

The price is expensive on that one!

And that AS lens..I'm not sure if it's the picture but it might be moldy?

Good find though, one was up in classifieds earlier this month.

https://www.ebay.de/...b4AAOSwtwxfJbFZ

Edited by Bowlerhat, 26 August 2020 - 02:02 AM.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#135 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 56N 12E, Denmark

Posted 26 August 2020 - 01:00 AM

Zeiss 7" f/10 Mak

Meniscas.jpg

2020-08-25 VENUS.jpg

*click*
https://www.cloudyni...ion/?p=10450902

Not as handy as my 4" f/6.4 Apq, but of course beats it on days/nights with good seeing.

Rock solid, yet easy-peasy and such a smooooooth operator...!

" Diamond nights and ruby lights, high in the sky..."  laugh.gif .

-- Allan

• Daniel Mounsey, Dagobert, Jim Curry and 18 others like this

#136 HCR32

HCR32

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne Australia

Posted 26 August 2020 - 03:26 AM

That’s awesome Allan. I’d love to swap my 8” Tec for the Zeiss just because it’s a Zeiss and regardless the 1” downsize.
  • AllanDystrup likes this

#137 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 26 August 2020 - 05:36 AM

Zeiss 7" f/10 Mak

attachicon.gifMeniscas.jpg

attachicon.gif2020-08-25 VENUS.jpg

*click*
https://www.cloudyni...ion/?p=10450902

Not as handy as my 4" f/6.4 Apq, but of course beats it on days/nights with good seeing.

Rock solid, yet easy-peasy and such a smooooooth operator...!

" Diamond nights and ruby lights, high in the sky..."  laugh.gif .

-- Allan

That is a nice scope Allan! and interesting specs.  I must take a look on a catalogue of Zeiss question.gif . I am not fully aware of all the models CZJ and Zeiss West offered in the past. 

waytogo.gif Sade: what a fine singer....

Carlos

#138 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 August 2020 - 07:29 AM

Thank you guys; -- I'm not gonna swap my Meniscas any time soon... wink.gif (but I'll probably pass in on for sale in a couple of years down the road, when it gets too cumbersome to handle, in my late 70'ies...).

Carlos:

The Meniscas 180/1800 was produced by Zeiss Jena in the 1990'ies for advanced amateurs, schools and universities. It's a compact Maksutov catadioptric with zerodur glass-ceramic main mirror and a small secondary, yielding a bright wide-field image with small field curvature.The resolution is 0.64" and v_mag 13.7m.

The Meniscas has a wonderful smooth precise internal focusing mechanism, and the backend can be configured very securely and flexibly for all sorts of visual and photographic purposes, using a range of M68 extenders and the CZJ quick change system. It'a a closed tube design requiring no maintenance in the form of collimation, mirror cleaning, re-coating etc. A very well constructed telescope indeed...

Mak.jpg

-- Allan

• Paul G, starmason, Scott99 and 7 others like this

#139 starmason

starmason

Mariner 2

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:42 PM

Here is one more,

JG

Thank you for this info.

(Danke Sehr)

George

• j.gardavsky likes this

#140 starmason

starmason

Mariner 2

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:44 PM

Thank you guys; -- I'm not gonna swap my Meniscas any time soon... wink.gif (but I'll probably pass in on for sale in a couple of years down the road, when it gets too cumbersome to handle, in my late 70'ies...).

Carlos:

The Meniscas 180/1800 was produced by Zeiss Jena in the 1990'ies for advanced amateurs, schools and universities. It's a compact Maksutov catadioptric with zerodur glass-ceramic main mirror and a small secondary, yielding a bright wide-field image with small field curvature.The resolution is 0.64" and v_mag 13.7m.

The Meniscas has a wonderful smooth precise internal focusing mechanism, and the backend can be configured very securely and flexibly for all sorts of visual and photographic purposes, using a range of M68 extenders and the CZJ quick change system. It'a a closed tube design requiring no maintenance in the form of collimation, mirror cleaning, re-coating etc. A very well constructed telescope indeed...

attachicon.gifMak.jpg

-- Allan

That is a real beauty!

I’m interested...

#141 jena100

jena100

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 August 2020 - 01:07 PM

I know how a Zeiss Jena pre World War 2 "E" 25 cm. objective got to the USA. It was in a leather case that was part of the personal property of Harry L. Freeman (1888-1953). It was mid 1945 and he was returning from Europe on a troop ship. His was a Department of the Army civilian tech advisor at a level of Maj. He was a long time member of the Los Angeles Astronomical Society In 1947 he was President of the LAAS. He had offered the lens to the LAAS if they would provide a mounting and observatory. They were unable to do so and the offer was withdrawn.

Mr. Freeman started a telescope company in 1948. I worked part time for him grinding and polishing mirrors. He did the final optical work. We talked about the lens and how he obtained it in war ravaged Germany. He traded a small amount of gasoline for it. We got it out of it's leather case one day and projected a solar image on a white card.

At the time the 24 cm. Zeiss was being mounted on the 30cm. Zeiss at the Griffith Observatory I talk with Tom Cave about that lens and the Freeman lens. He told me the 24 cm. was a much better lens than the 25cm. I think the lens was sold to some one in Texas.

I must be honest. While there was an exchange of gasoline for lens, it was war booty. I think I am the last person alive who knows this story.

Edited by jena100, 31 August 2020 - 01:15 PM.

• Daniel Mounsey, EverlastingSky, TG and 12 others like this

#142 Benach

Benach

Vanguard

Posted 01 September 2020 - 06:37 AM

Okay, another Zeiss beauty:

3e-koepel-kijkers-30-4-2015-Rob-Losscher

It has a bizarre history: This telescope mount is definitely ordered from Zeiss by the Leiden (The Netherlands) observatory in 1932. It arrived in 1938 with two dedicated cameras and a very heavy pillar from Zeiss in 1938. After WW2 the cameras were gone and a 60mm (or 80mm) refractor was mounted on it but rarily used.

In 2008 the Leiden observatory started to renovate their observatory. This mount had no antique value (unlike the other telescopes including a 10.2" Alvan Clarke refractor) so it was brought to a nearby museum. There they decided around 2013 to discard it. At that time one of my astronomy club members came in and he got it nearly for free. The pillar mount had to stay in Leiden though. Because of this, we designed a new pillar which as custom cast for our project.

He obtained it and he (and a few friends, me included) upgraded it so that it has a bigger RA worm gear, the former RA gear is now used on the declination axis and a lot of electronics, including a SiTech, were installed. It is still a Zeiss mount, but boy, it has radically been changed.

At the moment it is used as a mount for the solar telescopes, a 130mm f/6 apochromat, a 150mm Ha Lunt, a 60mm CaK Lunt and a 14" ODK telescope. Future plans: designing and making a 400mm solar telescope for this one, which will also integrate the other solar telescopes.

• Paul G, Jeff B, R Botero and 6 others like this

#143 R Botero

R Botero

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 02 September 2020 - 01:43 AM

Please post more pictures! :bow:

Roberto

#144 Derek Wong

Derek Wong

Apollo

• Loc: Glendale, CA

Posted 03 September 2020 - 02:11 AM

I still have almost no time for CN for the foreseeable future, but please enjoy some photos of a restored Zeiss 80mm A (f/17) scope.  The restoration was done by my friend Ray Taylor who is a CN member.  He is an incredible craftsman but this was a one of a kind project for him.  The tube was powder coated instead of painted and the focuser needed to be polished due to corrosion, so for those who need complete originality look elsewhere.  Like all the old scopes, it is solid (probably 13-14kg for OTA only) and the mount is heavy and rock solid.  Nothing today is made like this.  The optic is excellent although it needs a small adjustment to square it to the restored tube.

Attached Thumbnails

• Zeiss 80mm A Complete.jpg

• Paul G, plyscope, payner and 13 others like this

#145 Derek Wong

Derek Wong

Apollo

Posted 03 September 2020 - 02:12 AM

Focuser and hand crank that raises the mount smoothly and effortlessly

Zeiss 80 Focuser #2.jpg

Zeiss 80mm Crank.jpg

Edited by Derek Wong, 03 September 2020 - 02:12 AM.

• Daniel Mounsey, Paul G, plyscope and 18 others like this

#146 Derek Wong

Derek Wong

Apollo

Posted 03 September 2020 - 02:17 AM

The other thing about Zeiss is that a lot of so called modern accessories were invented a long time ago.  Here is an astronomical binoviewer with eyepieces.  It makes the Baader binoviewer feel wimpy in comparison.  Lack of coatings makes the images dimmer than in modern equipment.  This one was out of collimation but was collimated by Cory Suddarth.

Zeiss Vintage Bino #1.jpg

Zeiss Vintage 50mm Huygens.jpg

• Daniel Mounsey, Paul G, Scott99 and 10 others like this

#147 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 03 September 2020 - 11:37 AM

wow!!!  just to editorialize a wee bit....looking over the early 1900's Zeiss gear, the Cooke telescopes, makes me realize in some ways we never recovered from the Great Depression.  We think everything's better today....maybe not!  shocked.gif shocked.gif

https://www.cloudyni...0#entry10408507

Edited by Scott99, 03 September 2020 - 11:39 AM.

#148 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:57 PM

Derek, — beautiful restoration of the CZJ 3” A refractor! I love the focuser with graded scale, — Zeiss provided equivalent focuser scales also on the later APQ helical and the Meniscas scopes; Very useful for quickly zeroing in on the focus point when you’re often switching between visual and photographic (or other) backends.

The mount above seems a bit lacking as a grab-go setup, as it does not seem easy to level, — and of course a motorized EQ mount (like the Zeiss Ib) would be preferable for modern applications.

— Allan

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#149 jena100

jena100

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 September 2020 - 01:01 PM

I have 2 T mounts. The older T-1 is in much better condition that the T-2 which looks like it went through the Battle of Stalingrad. I also have a very old b-1 mount that needs some major repair due to shipping damage when it was sent to me from Europe.

What I am still looking for is a TM mount in very good condition before my time runs out. I have a 2VS tripod that came with the T-2 mount but looks like it was never used and has the metal tray

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#150 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:17 PM

Focuser and hand crank that raises the mount smoothly and effortlessly

attachicon.gifZeiss 80 Focuser #2.jpg

attachicon.gifZeiss 80mm Crank.jpg

This scope and mount is a thing of beauty

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics