•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zeissitis

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#176 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:12 PM

Still looking for a large 4" diagonal to make the whole thing pop.

Siebert makes them:

https://www.sieberto...vatory.html#2.7

#177 TopQ

TopQ

Vostok 1

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for the info!!!

Bruno

#178 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:43 PM

I don't have a lot of Zeiss equipment, just a telementor with several huygens plus a very rare observatory grade 4" Zeiss eyepiece (100 mm 80deg)

First picture show it with a 17 Ethos for scale comparison.

The second pictures with a 1.25" 32 mm plossl, 2" 17 mm Ethos, 2" 30 mm Leitz and the 4" 100 mm Zeiss. Interestingly the exterior body design is very similar to the Leitz.

The last pictures show the eyepiece with a 6" TEC refractor at a star party. The TEC had a 4" focuser but no 4" diagonal so we had to use it Japanese style (straight through)

Still looking for a large 4" diagonal to make the whole thing pop.

Bruno 

Monster!

#179 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:16 PM

Zeiss Jena Telementor II (3)
Zeiss Jena Teleminor (1)

The previous owner painted it robin blue. I realized Telementor is just a scope that has a seemingly simple, yet elegant and sleek design.

• edif300, payner, Jim Curry and 8 others like this

#180 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 01 October 2020 - 01:17 AM

The previous owner painted it robin blue. I realized Telementor is just a scope that has a seemingly simple, yet elegant and sleek design.

The robin blue color looks very nice! like the tiles and panels in the DDR schools and universities....

May i ask which tripod are you using? does it have a geared column? i have the same mount head and plan to mount my Telementor sometines in a minimalistic alt-az configuration when i do not want to take out the T-mount.

thanks

Carlos 

#181 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:56 AM

The robin blue color looks very nice! like the tiles and panels in the DDR schools and universities....

May i ask which tripod are you using? does it have a geared column? i have the same mount head and plan to mount my Telementor sometines in a minimalistic alt-az configuration when i do not want to take out the T-mount.

thanks

Carlos 

Yes, I like the colour scheme: black, white, tan robin blue, gray. The blue robin paint has a soft matte surface. I used a slik700DX, it doesn't have a geared column, although I think slik also has the geared ones. I think the mount handles it quite well, the weight of the OTA makes it easy to balance.

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#182 asenov13

asenov13

Explorer 1

Posted 02 October 2020 - 02:57 PM

So many people show off their zao's.I wish they tell us the scopes they use.

#183 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 October 2020 - 07:56 AM

I use my ZAO's with all of my telescopes. I used the 34mm with my Ceravolo HD216 Mak/Newt (8.5") last night. Just beautiful pinpoint stars across the entire field. I like to binoview with those and the 25mm's in my TMB 100 f/8 - the double cluster is spectacular - beautifully framed. I am about to obtain a Zeiss 130APQ - this thread is damaging to the wallet! I will purchase the rest of the ZAO's for that scope - after selling some other equipment. I intend this to my last refractor purchase. 

• Paul G, Jim Curry, R Botero and 4 others like this

#184 R Botero

R Botero

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 04 October 2020 - 02:18 AM

I intend this to my last refractor purchase. 

Of course lol.gif

• Astrojensen, Corcaroli78 and stevenwav like this

#185 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 04 October 2020 - 02:44 AM

I use my ZAO's with all of my telescopes. I used the 34mm with my Ceravolo HD216 Mak/Newt (8.5") last night. Just beautiful pinpoint stars across the entire field. I like to binoview with those and the 25mm's in my TMB 100 f/8 - the double cluster is spectacular - beautifully framed. I am about to obtain a Zeiss 130APQ - this thread is damaging to the wallet! I will purchase the rest of the ZAO's for that scope - after selling some other equipment. I intend this to my last refractor purchase.

Wow that Ceravelo is a rare bird indeed. Congrats on both top tier scopes (APQ and Ceravelo)

#186 N-1

N-1

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 October 2020 - 02:04 AM

You asked for it...

Gallizao.jpg

• Jim Curry, Astrojensen, Corcaroli78 and 4 others like this

#187 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: STL

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:54 PM

You asked for it...

attachicon.gifGallizao.jpg

Well, tell us a little about it.

#188 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: STL

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:55 PM

Of course lol.gif

Shure

• stevenwav likes this

#189 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:49 PM

You asked for it...

attachicon.gifGallizao.jpg

I will take a stab- does the scope contain a Clave objective?

#190 N-1

N-1

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:25 PM

Well, tell us a little about it.

I will take a stab- does the scope contain a Clave objective?

You'd be forgiven for thinking it does when looking though it, and especially with a ZAO attached, but no, it's a cheap Chinese-made 50mm f/10 cemented achromat, the Gallileoscope. Now, if you say ZAOs are overkill for this, I'd tend to agree. But with the EPs and the scope at my disposal, it's only natural for them to be used together at some point, to satisfy my curiosity if nothing else. And well, the Moon seen through this is quite something, although even a ZAO can't undo some of the plastic OTAs (fairly minor) issues.

In the FC76, however, the ZAO16 absolutely sings. I've done all-nighters looking at DSOs with this combo, and not the dob.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#191 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:12 AM

A variety of Astro-Physics refractors from 92 mm to 175 mm, both mono and binoviewing, and an Astro-Physics 10" Mak-Cass.

#192 Benach

Benach

Vanguard

Posted 16 October 2020 - 05:59 PM

Please post more pictures! bow.gif

Roberto

Sorry for the bump, but I was much less at my astronomy club than normal due to Corona. Anyway, here are a few more pictures of our Zeiss mount (you can find it on page 6 of this topic as well) and a description of what you can see on each picture. Note that the entire dome is extremely white to avoid convection currents. The dome is inspired by the dome of the Dutch Open Telescope on La Palma and as you have seen, can be fully opened and because of the thin cloth, assumes temperature very quickly which created no convection as well.
20201016_205846.jpg
This is not the original pillar of the mount but superficially it is a bit similar to it. The original is still at the Leiden observatory. I designed this pillar with a friend and the mold was 3D printed in wax and later cast for us.
The pillar has a mass of in the order of 400kg/1000lbs. We also made a quick and dirty guestimation of the mass and CoG of the 400mm telescope and the CoG of the telescope coincides with the axis of the pillar reducing the vibration modes mostly to torsion vibrations (quite unlikely with a cilindrical pillar) and axial vibrations (also unlikely). Bending vibrations are higher order because of this.

20201016_205854.jpg
The polar housing. Look at the huge RA axis! And look at the huge rigidity. Awesome design. Because the RA is so long, one does not have to worry about meridian flips.
Normally a touchpanel to control the dome is attached slightly below the flange that connects the pillar with the polar housing. However, that is now being repaired. In the background one can see the chain and gears to open the dome.
The two blue wires one sees in the picture are for the two cameras on the telescopes. They are highspeed glass fibers that goes straight to the observatory's NAS. From there postprocessing or downloading at home can be done.
  • payner, Astrojensen, R Botero and 3 others like this

#193 Benach

Benach

Vanguard

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:06 PM

20201016_205934.jpg

Slightly below the end of the RA axis and the declination axis. In the front one can see the manual fine adjustment system for the mount. It can still be used although a SiTech II, Servo motors and encoders will do all the work.

20201016_205902.jpg

The end of the declination axis with one halve of the the counterweight. The other halve is lost but for now it is more than enough. As soon as we are going to build the 400mm solar telescope, the other halve will be recast (we have the drawings). Left from the big counterweight one can see the secondary counterweight which is the Declination encoder housing as well. The counterweight bar has a very fine thread on it. The captain's wheel one can see right from the big counterweight is for adjusting the counterweight.

More questions? Feel free to ask.

• payner, astro140, Astrojensen and 5 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics