•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

source for porro case?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 glittledale

glittledale

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:23 PM

hi all,

i'm having trouble locating a case that will fit my 7x35 b+l zephyrs.  the world is awash in roof cases...

i welcome any leads.

thanks,

glenn

#2 DeanD

DeanD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:58 AM

I know the problem. I spent ages trying to find a use for my Habicht 8x30's without luck. Sadly, Swarovski stopped supplying nice cases for them, and they come with a pretty useless vinyl one now. frown.gif

I tried sourcing an old Zeiss 8x30 case and found a nice one in the UK, but he wouldn't send it to Australia for some bizarre reason. I ended up getting a small leather "man bag"...

I think the easiest thing for you if you are in the US is to look for a cheap similar sized pair with case, like this: https://www.ebay.com...3RoCB2gQAvD_BwE

or this: https://www.ebay.com...2.c100677.m4598

- and give the binos that come with the case away or use them for something else.

Good luck!

- Dean

Edited by DeanD, 14 July 2020 - 06:01 AM.

#3 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Viking 1

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:59 AM

I seem to recall seeing cases on the "etsy" website.     Regards, Pat

#4 WALL.E

WALL.E

Mariner 2

• Loc: Grand Rapids Mi.

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:16 AM

Hi Glenn.

Ever consider nice padded lunch bags or coolers?

They really do work quite nicely.

I can't seem to connect a link to the old post.

I will "resurrect" it if all will bear with me.

I think it was called "Nice binocular cases, super cheap".

Just thoughts....

Eric

Edited by WALL.E, 14 July 2020 - 09:42 AM.

#5 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Viking 1

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:36 AM

just checked a couple of 7x35  standard angle (7 degree) binocular cases (that are used on bosch and lomb frames bins)- they all pretty much fit a pair of 9x35 kowas (which are pretty close to the 7x35  zephyr). Looks like they all pretty much have the same dimensions  Outside dimensions- top 7 1/4" wide (outside )x 6 1/4" height x 6 1/4" bottom outside. Subtract about  3/8" for inside dimensions. Some online sellers are willing to measure/weight stuff for you  if you ask nicely.

#6 glittledale

glittledale

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:38 AM

thank you for all the suggestions!  i'll follow them up and find what seems best.  i'm definitly considering all manner of padded cases so will look into small coolers.  i did find a military collectable company that shows a b&l ee case, but i have no idea of the dimensions.  i'll start watching the auctions too.  thanks again!  

and thank you for case dimensions!  that's a huge help!  

#7 slingworks

slingworks

Sputnik

• Loc: Appalachian Ohio

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:55 PM

Dean D, I had thought once or twice to make a run of binocular cases.  Looked over a leather case that a habicht 8x30 came in.  I liked the style, but wonder if there is still  a market for a good quality leather case?

Something tells me those that buy vintage porros generally go for the "Super Cheap" type case.

Edited by slingworks, 14 July 2020 - 09:57 PM.

• Albie and DeanD like this

#8 Gumball

Gumball

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Beaverton, Oregon

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:10 PM

Try searching ebay for "used pelican cases" or "used Haliburton cases"

Both manufacturers make indestructible cases in a variety of sizes.  It takes some searching, but I have found cases the correct size for under $40.

#9 DeanD

DeanD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:48 AM

Dean D, I had thought once or twice to make a run of binocular cases.  Looked over a leather case that a habicht 8x30 came in.  I liked the style, but wonder if there is still  a market for a good quality leather case?

Something tells me those that buy vintage porros generally go for the "Super Cheap" type case.

Yeah, I would certainly be interested in one as I love the idea of a nice leather one. Unfortunately I find that things made in the US are ridiculously expensive to post to Australia: in some instances the postage is more than the item. (At one time I contacted a guy who makes eyepieces, and his response was that he couldn't even send overseas from his local Post Office, and he would have had to drive 40 miles to find a PO that did... very strange! ) Postage to Australia from the EU seems to be way less than from the US.

When I was looking for my Swaros there was one US manufacturer that I found, but their website seems to have disappeared. I did see this one: https://deutscheopti...CASES-MADE.html

All the best,

Dean

Edited by DeanD, 17 July 2020 - 12:49 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics