•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What would cause this in my images?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OrionNebula32

OrionNebula32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:32 PM

Ive added all calibration files in RGB, because the image was recorded in RGB. (Yes, I know RAW16 is ideal for light frames) 

Attached Thumbnails

• treqy.jpg

#2 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:41 PM

OK, what are we looking at? Scope? Camera? Lights? Did you dither? How many frames? Flats? Darks? Bias? Any LP filters? 

What went into the above? 

What does it mean "the image was recorded in RGB?" Three separate filters? Or are you saying this is the .jpeg? 

If I had to guess, I would guess a flats disaster in addition with poor debayering--but without more info it's just a random guess. 

• OrionNebula32 likes this

#3 OrionNebula32

OrionNebula32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:47 PM

In SharpCap you can select if you want RAW8, RGB, RAW16 etc. for "COLOR SPACE"

I recorded these in RGB as a test image. I dont have my whole setup yet, waiting on some stuff to arrive in mail like my guidescope setup etc. So this is just polar aligned and images taken of Polaris.

Scope - Stellarvue SVX70T
Camera - ASI294MC PRO
This is only a stacked image of 20 light frames. Not guided.
All 4 types of calib files, darks, flat, bias and dark flats. 

No filters

This is a screenshot of the recorded TIFF files

Noob question, how do I know if im debayering or not in SharpCap. its the only program i use well.

#4 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:14 PM

RGB  images are debayered by the camera. RAW images are not--you need to debayer them. 

How are your images stacked? In Sharpcap also? 

How did you take your flats? What ADU level (or Histogram)? How did you apply them? Still Sharpcap? 

Try processing your image *without* the flats (and dark flats). This should give a clue. My guess so far is that you over-exposed your flats, and you are seeing some hardware (either in the camera or in whatever you used for taking flats). But I really don't know. Sharpcap is generally used for PA, EAA and Planetary imaging, but not for processing astro-images, and I've never used it except for PA and Planetary capture. 

If you have the individual frames and can provide a Dropbox link to them, I could take a look. 

#5 OrionNebula32

OrionNebula32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:16 PM

Everything is done via SharpCap, and even after i debayered in PixInsight it still is green, but removes the weird patterning. I dont have a dropbox account but i could always make one. 

#6 OrionNebula32

OrionNebula32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:22 PM

I created a free trial drop box. how do i share with you?

RGB  images are debayered by the camera. RAW images are not--you need to debayer them. 

How are your images stacked? In Sharpcap also? 

How did you take your flats? What ADU level (or Histogram)? How did you apply them? Still Sharpcap? 

Try processing your image *without* the flats (and dark flats). This should give a clue. My guess so far is that you over-exposed your flats, and you are seeing some hardware (either in the camera or in whatever you used for taking flats). But I really don't know. Sharpcap is generally used for PA, EAA and Planetary imaging, but not for processing astro-images, and I've never used it except for PA and Planetary capture. 

If you have the individual frames and can provide a Dropbox link to them, I could take a look. 

#7 OrionNebula32

OrionNebula32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:51 PM

I stacked without the flats and dark flats and now instead of being green its red. what the heck ? Ive never had this problem before with my last setup  confused1.gif

#8 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:02 AM

If you have Pixinsight, the last thing you should be doing is using Sharpcap for stacking or *any* post-processing. 

In Dropbox, there's a Public folder. You put your files (or directories) there, and you right-click on the file or directory and select "Copy Dropbox Link." You then paste that link here. 

#9 OrionNebula32

OrionNebula32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:11 PM

https://www.dropbox....3HKU6jJ9Ka?dl=0

hopefully that is what you meant....thanks Stelios

#10 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 19 July 2020 - 03:39 PM

For anyone stumbling upon this, the issue was mainly mingling RAW and RGB data in calibration. This is the same image with calibration in PI and some color adjustment and denoising:

Polaris.JPG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics