•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hand control or LCD for original Nexstar 5

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 topoisomerase

topoisomerase

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:01 PM

hi all,

i've been out of the game for awhile for a variety of reasons and am excited to be able to devote time to astronomy once again. anyhow, one of my scopes is in need of a little TLC: my original vintage Nexstar 5. specifically, the LCD on the hand control has really faded and this scope is now primarily useful in manual mode only. are there options (i suspect only used) to replace this controller or the LCD itself?

thank you!

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:47 PM

Cloudy Nights member "Wings & Sons" should be able to hook you up with a replacement for around $40 or thereabouts. 

#3 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:05 PM

Cloudy Nights member "Wings & Sons" should be able to hook you up with a replacement for around $40 or thereabouts. 

Its "Wing&Sons"

#4 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:07 PM

I stand corrected! 

#5 topoisomerase

topoisomerase

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:27 PM

Its "Wing&Sons"

Thanks, both!

#6 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:25 AM

The original NexStar 5/8 (circa 1999-2000) is only compatible with the original NexStar hand control it shipped with.  Newer hand controls (version 1.2 and higher) are NOT compatible.  This would be the original NexStar 5/8 with NO AutoGuide and Aux ports on the top of the base next to the AA battery compartment.

Every hand control I currently see listed on eBay by Wing and Son is a NexStar+ (version 5) or NexStar version 4 hand control.

You may find that if you open the back of the hand control and clean and re-seat the connector on the cable for the LCD panel, all will be well.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

• topoisomerase and Echolight like this

#7 topoisomerase

topoisomerase

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:05 PM

hi all, i'm happy to report that the approach of removing, cleaning, and re-seating the ribbon cable connection seems to have done the trick! thanks for the input.

• Michael_Swanson, Jim Davis and Echolight like this

#8 Echolight

Echolight

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:52 PM

I will try that on my first edition Nexstar 8. The screen is difficult to read.

#9 topoisomerase

topoisomerase

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:55 PM

I will try that on my first edition Nexstar 8. The screen is difficult to read.

it worked well for me. all i did was disassemble  the controller, pull the tabs on the L and R of the ribbon connector outward to unlock the cable, and then cleaned the cable ends with isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip. others have commented on spraying electronics cleaner inside the connector as well but i didn't do that. good luck!

• Echolight likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics