•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi PM 1

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nippon

Nippon

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:58 PM

Was the PM 1 a short lived model and if so why was it discontinued?

#2 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:49 PM

I think there's no market for non-goto mounts anymore, particularly expensive ones.

IMO the PM-1 is a downgrade from the Space Boy and P2Z because it lacks setting circles.  Having a non-goto mount with no setting circles seems a bit backward.

• Nippon and giorgio_ne like this

#3 whwang

whwang

Gemini

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:58 PM

I sold my PM-1 a few years ago.  It was a fine mount.  I took it with me to the US for the 2017 total eclipse.  It worked just fine.  I sold it because its payload is a bit too low for my new 500mm lens.  

In my 30 years of using eq mounts, goto or not, I have never used the settle circles.  I do agree that it is too expensive in today's standard.

#4 andysea

andysea

Soyuz

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:00 PM

I think Orly is right.

I really like my PM-1 but a goto version that can be auto guided would be nice. That being said it's a very simple and very accurate mount, just like the P2-Z. I never used setting circles either so that is a non issue for me.

Edited by andysea, 13 July 2020 - 09:00 PM.

• rbish237 likes this

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:42 PM

I’m not very good at framing objects so without GoTo, I would like to see setting circles. This is why I prefer the SP to the GP, and why I didn’t buy a Sky Patrol or PM-1.

#6 Nippon

Nippon

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:01 AM

I'm a fan of setting circles. I mostly use the Dec circle and sweep up what I'm looking for in RA. I didn't realize the PM 1 did not have them. I think the light weight Vixen AP is a really nice small EQ but no setting circles. Observing these days in light polluted urban skies I think setting circles are a must if you don't have goto

• Terra Nova likes this

#7 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 14 July 2020 - 11:07 AM

Well, I use the Astrotrac to observe from home, and I live in the awfully light-pollution washed main plain of northern Italy.

Since those mounts can handle only small telescopes (the heavies thing I managed to use on the Astrotrac is a C8, and guess would be the same with the AP), and those telescopes have all reasonably large fields, finding stuff is much less hard than actually seeing it.

However I think that setting circles could have been useful for astrophotography, especially if want to aim the camera not to an object but at a specific point in the sky, and do this repeatably

#8 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:53 PM

My problem was that, it's very hard to see an object in the camera viewfinder (or live view), so even if you can find something in the eyepiece of a telescope, it's much harder to frame it properly with a camera..

• Hesiod likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics