•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tak TSA-120: Unable to attach finderscope to FeatherTouch focuser

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:59 PM

I got a TSA-120 with the FT focuser and just tried to install the finderscope (I ordered the small one, 6x30). However, unless I'm missing something, it seems there is no way to do it because the finderscope is supposed to be screwed into the focuser and, well, the FT focuser doesn't have the holes that the Tak focuser must have.

Manual (showing the stock focuser):

manual.jpg

OTA plus the finderscope bracket resting on it so its foot is visible:

ff.jpg

I placed the order over the phone and the Takahashi America representative didn't say anything about a lack of compatibility between the finderscope and the FT focuser. I suppose I'll need a ring around the focuser and put the bracket in it?

Thanks for any ideas.

#2 StarAlert

StarAlert

Messenger

• Loc: Claremont CA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:06 PM

I got a TSA-120 with the FT focuser and just tried to install the finderscope (I ordered the small one, 6x30). However, unless I'm missing something, it seems there is no way to do it because the finderscope is supposed to be screwed into the focuser and, well, the FT focuser doesn't have the holes that the Tak focuser must have.

Manual (showing the stock focuser):

attachicon.gifmanual.jpg

OTA plus the finderscope bracket resting on it so its foot is visible:

attachicon.gifff.jpg

I placed the order over the phone and the Takahashi America representative didn't say anything about a lack of compatibility between the finderscope and the FT focuser. I suppose I'll need a ring around the focuser and put the bracket in it?

Thanks for any ideas.

I’ll bet SI or Takahashi sell a “Tak” finder base that bolts right to the focuser. Probably cheap, too. lol.gif

#3 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:10 PM

I use the FT finder bracket that attaches to the FT focuser and has a quick release. 

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• John Huntley, Kunama and gozer like this

#4 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for any ideas.

Yes - use a different finderscope.  Best solution is to purchase the bracket made for this focuser from Starlight Instruments.  See the attached photo.  This will open up a lot of possibilities vis-a-vis finderscopes.

This exactly what I did on my TSA120 and I currently use a Baader SkySurfer-III finderscope.

Attached Thumbnails

• Focuser1.jpg

Edited by peleuba, 14 July 2020 - 08:50 AM.

• gozer likes this

#5 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:43 PM

Thanks, Ray & Paul!

#6 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:43 AM

Thanks, Ray & Paul!

That finder is useless you got the wrong one once you get the feather touch focuser the Takahashi parts are useless they don’t fit.

#7 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:37 AM

Just finished talking to Takahashi America, they are working on an adapter and will be getting an update on this in the next few days.

• eros312 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics