•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tak TSA-120: Unable to attach finderscope to FeatherTouch focuser

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:59 PM

I got a TSA-120 with the FT focuser and just tried to install the finderscope (I ordered the small one, 6x30). However, unless I'm missing something, it seems there is no way to do it because the finderscope is supposed to be screwed into the focuser and, well, the FT focuser doesn't have the holes that the Tak focuser must have.

Manual (showing the stock focuser):

manual.jpg

OTA plus the finderscope bracket resting on it so its foot is visible:

ff.jpg

I placed the order over the phone and the Takahashi America representative didn't say anything about a lack of compatibility between the finderscope and the FT focuser. I suppose I'll need a ring around the focuser and put the bracket in it?

Thanks for any ideas.

#2 StarAlert

StarAlert

Viking 1

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:06 PM

I got a TSA-120 with the FT focuser and just tried to install the finderscope (I ordered the small one, 6x30). However, unless I'm missing something, it seems there is no way to do it because the finderscope is supposed to be screwed into the focuser and, well, the FT focuser doesn't have the holes that the Tak focuser must have.

Manual (showing the stock focuser):

attachicon.gifmanual.jpg

OTA plus the finderscope bracket resting on it so its foot is visible:

attachicon.gifff.jpg

I placed the order over the phone and the Takahashi America representative didn't say anything about a lack of compatibility between the finderscope and the FT focuser. I suppose I'll need a ring around the focuser and put the bracket in it?

Thanks for any ideas.

I’ll bet SI or Takahashi sell a “Tak” finder base that bolts right to the focuser. Probably cheap, too. lol.gif

#3 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:10 PM

I use the FT finder bracket that attaches to the FT focuser and has a quick release. 

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Paul G, John Huntley, Kunama and 1 other like this

#4 peleuba

peleuba

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for any ideas.

Yes - use a different finderscope.  Best solution is to purchase the bracket made for this focuser from Starlight Instruments.  See the attached photo.  This will open up a lot of possibilities vis-a-vis finderscopes.

This exactly what I did on my TSA120 and I currently use a Baader SkySurfer-III finderscope.

Attached Thumbnails

• Focuser1.jpg

Edited by peleuba, 14 July 2020 - 08:50 AM.

• Paul G, David Lim and gozer like this

#5 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:43 PM

Thanks, Ray & Paul!

#6 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:43 AM

Thanks, Ray & Paul!

That finder is useless you got the wrong one once you get the feather touch focuser the Takahashi parts are useless they don’t fit.
  • gnowellsct likes this

#7 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:37 AM

Just finished talking to Takahashi America, they are working on an adapter and will be getting an update on this in the next few days.

• eros312 and formula1 like this

#8 formula1

formula1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 August 2020 - 05:03 PM

Just finished talking to Takahashi America, they are working on an adapter and will be getting an update on this in the next few days.

I'm also interested in this solution.

Please, have you got any update on this adapter and where to get it?

Thanks.

• David Lim likes this

#9 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 26 August 2020 - 05:05 AM

While it may not be Takahashi green, any 6x30 finder bracket would do. And you can paint it green to match, although a black one would look nice with the focuser and contrast nicely with the finder itself ;)

As for finderbase, I like the one that Starlight instruments sells - put two on my FS-102, but you can probably use the Baader curved one, or any other finderbase which fits curved focusers.

#10 formula1

formula1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:19 AM

While it may not be Takahashi green, any 6x30 finder bracket would do. And you can paint it green to match, although a black one would look nice with the focuser and contrast nicely with the finder itself wink.gif

As for finderbase, I like the one that Starlight instruments sells - put two on my FS-102, but you can probably use the Baader curved one, or any other finderbase which fits curved focusers.

Are you sure that Takahashi 6x30 Finder will fit any 6x30 vixen bracket?

#11 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:20 AM

I am referring to the usual 6x30 finder bracket out there - apologies, should have clarified better. I am referring to this type.

#12 formula1

formula1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:37 AM

I am referring to the usual 6x30 finder bracket out there - apologies, should have clarified better. I am referring to this type.

No need to apologies :)
So you're saying that this specific bracket will accept the Takahashi 6x30 Finderscope?

If it is, I'm ordering it now!

#13 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 26 August 2020 - 07:53 AM

Haven't heard back and I had forgotten (I've used the scope for imaging and didn't need the finderscope). I'll ping them.

I'm also interested in this solution.

Please, have you got any update on this adapter and where to get it?

Thanks.

• formula1 likes this

#14 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:37 PM

Talked to them today. There's no adapter for the smaller finderscope (6x30) which I got, so I will be returning the focuser. If I understood correctly, there is a solution for the larger 9x50 finderscope, but I don't remember the details since it wasn't applicable to me. 

#15 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:44 PM

Don't hold your breath.

I think I put an Agena focuser base on my FT focuser.    There were recommendations here. It worked out.  But I don't have razor sharp clarity.

I can say that I am very glad to use the Tak finder with my refractors, and that I am very glad NOT to be using the Tak finder bracket.  I don't like the metal screws, and I don't like the overall design.

Greg N

#16 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:47 PM

Here, apparently, is what I ordered for the CFF.   The date is correct (came back an email search):

William Optics Finder Bracket for 50mm Finders with Vixen/Synta-Style Base - Black # M-FB50-B OFIN-WO-M-FB50-B 1 $58.00
Subtotal $58.00
Shipping & Handling $0.00
Grand Total $58.00

As I recall this was a whole lot less costly than whatever it was FT was offering and I was glad not to be using the Tak hardware.

https://agenaastro.c...vixen-base.html

Greg N

Edit: One of the reasons I don't like the Tak hardware is it damages the paint on the finder.  These are expensive finders.  My Agena $58.00 finder bracket has white nylon tips on the screws. Why is Tak too cheap to do that.

Edited by gnowellsct, 01 September 2020 - 09:03 PM.

#17 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:55 PM

Here is a pic. You have a TSA.  Really, time to ditch the 6x30 even if it is a Tak.  Get the Tak 7x50 like this one.  And this bracket will hold it very well.

I think it looks good but maybe y'all don't agree.  

WO finder bracket on CFF-FT_resized.jpg

• peleuba, eros312 and gozer like this

#18 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 01 September 2020 - 09:00 PM

For my GT130 I have an AP 8x50 finder bracket.  It was already in the house when the GT130 arrived.  I forget if I had to purchase a new base or just used the one that was here.  (It's not WO)

I use Tak 7x50 on the GT130 too.  I have two of these.  I forget how that came about.  It was one of those accidental acquisitions, but I do favor rear focus finders.  

I have a Vixen finder for my C14 and a crummy ol' Meade on my c8.  It's my only finder that is not illuminated.  Actually I like the Meade finders (non-illuminated).  I think it's just about the only thing Meade that I do like.

Greg N

#19 payner

payner

Vanguard

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 01 September 2020 - 09:18 PM

Talked to them today. There's no adapter for the smaller finderscope (6x30) which I got, so I will be returning the focuser. If I understood correctly, there is a solution for the larger 9x50 finderscope, but I don't remember the details since it wasn't applicable to me. 

Solution for protecting the paint if you want to use a Tak finder (frankly have never found one that match their quality) simply circle the point on the finderscope where the three forward adjustment screws will touch a couple of times with Scotch magic tape. You'll not affect the paint by doing so and the tape will easily come off if ever you want to remove it.

• peleuba and Kunama like this

#20 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:35 PM

Solution for protecting the paint if you want to use a Tak finder (frankly have never found one that match their quality) simply circle the point on the finderscope where the three forward adjustment screws will touch a couple of times with Scotch magic tape. You'll not affect the paint by doing so and the tape will easily come off if ever you want to remove it.

I use a Tak finder (two actually).  I just don't use them in Tak finder hardware.  

I could see doing it to maintain the color scheme.  But he has already broken the color scheme by putting on a Moonlite.  So he is free, so to speak, to roam the wide world of black mounting hardware for the finder.

The Vario that AP sells as a guidescope (also Alpine Astro) is supposed to be good but I've never tried it.  

#21 spkerer

spkerer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:21 AM

I use a ... um...  Telrad on my Tak.  I only use it for initial goto alignment then put it back away.  I developed an appreciation for Telrads back in my dob days decades ago and I find myself very comfortable with them.  Using my 21mm Ethos, I get a 2.3 degree field of view, so I don't need the Telrad after initial goto alignment.  But if I'm doing my initial alignment in the dark, the Telrad works better than trying to eyeball the aim for the 21mm.

#22 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 02 September 2020 - 04:33 PM

I use a ... um...  Telrad on my Tak.  I only use it for initial goto alignment then put it back away.  I developed an appreciation for Telrads back in my dob days decades ago and I find myself very comfortable with them.  Using my 21mm Ethos, I get a 2.3 degree field of view, so I don't need the Telrad after initial goto alignment.  But if I'm doing my initial alignment in the dark, the Telrad works better than trying to eyeball the aim for the 21mm.

Oh my!  The vulgarity!  And no doubt you guzzle a couple of bottles of vintage 1932 Chateau Lafite Rothschild with your burgers from Burger King.

But the basic point is true:  Really I only use my finder(s) for initial alignment of the computer (which is push-to, but same diff).  

I do sometimes use the finder to actually look at stuff.  It is after all a Tak.  But that would be in a night of great transparency.  After the alignment I'm basically done.

Greg N

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics