•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Converting my 8inch dob to planetary.. Is it possible?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cresfactor

Cresfactor

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:11 PM

Hi all

I have an 8inch skywatcher dob. Its manual of course. I was wondering if I attach a asi224 to the eyepiece, can I convert it into a planetary astro rig?

Without tracking, is it possible to take pictures of planets?

I have heard of fire capture and sharpcap allowing for such things to happen but was wondering how feasible it is as an imaging rig.

I know a tracking rig is the way to go, but instead of getting a $3000 k edge hd or something, can I just attach a camera to my existing dob for some imagery?

Anyone have experience?

#2 PollAirUs

PollAirUs

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Minas Gerais, Brasil

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:56 PM

I know of a guy who took pictures exactly the way you’re wondering if it works, and the best way to say yes is by showing the pictures he took: https://www.flickr.c...157635199644635
And here's a video in which he explains how he does it: https://www.youtube....h?v=3WJb4Kwoz9I

He uses a 10 inch SkyWatcher dob and a ZWO ASI120MC-S

Edited by PollAirUs, 13 July 2020 - 08:57 PM.

• ks__observer and Cresfactor like this

#3 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:04 PM

Yeah, a relative pain in the butt, but it will work.

Alex

#4 Cresfactor

Cresfactor

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:24 AM

I know of a guy who took pictures exactly the way you’re wondering if it works, and the best way to say yes is by showing the pictures he took: https://www.flickr.c...157635199644635
And here's a video in which he explains how he does it: https://www.youtube....h?v=3WJb4Kwoz9I

He uses a 10 inch SkyWatcher dob and a ZWO ASI120MC-S

Whoa! Incredible images. 

Is he capturing and manually tracking? 

#5 philinbris

philinbris

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:50 AM

Incredible images aren't they.

Being slightly more realistic, my first attempt at Astro photography was using my 12" dob.

I had to manually shift the scope mostly in the Alt direction every 20 odd seconds depending on capture resolution. This caused a few "jumps" in the resultant image (or AVI).

After running the AVI through Registax (then, now also use AutoStakkert) the software did a very good job of aligning the frames. I ended up with a reasonable image.

Here is the stacked one from back then:

J1.jpg

Here is the first go at processed one (wavelet sharpening):

J2.jpg

(You can see I needed to learn to crop before processing)

They are not award winners, but they are a result of my first attempt at capturing and stacking with a manually guided setup.

This was using a cheap SVBony SV305 camera (but I like the results it gives), and only 200 frames captured. 200 Frames is realistic for manual positioning, but for auto goto (like my AZ-EQ6) one captures 3 to 5 minutes AVI, or 30,000 of frames at 125 + FPS.

All I can say is the more you capture, and the more you use all the software tools and learn some techniques (like correct Barlow for camera / scope combo - thanks Andrew wink.gif ) the better things get - manual or auto.

Cheers

Edited by philinbris, 14 July 2020 - 04:26 AM.

#6 PollAirUs

PollAirUs

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Minas Gerais, Brasil

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:44 PM

Whoa! Incredible images. 

Is he capturing and manually tracking? 

Yes! He places the planet in the corner of the image, starts recording, lets the planet move to the other corner, stop recording. Place the planet back in the corner of the image, start recording, let the planet move to the other corner, stop recording. And do it repeatedly, recording a series of videos, and then bring them all together and align them, and finally, stack them.

#7 ks__observer

ks__observer

Apollo

• Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:19 PM

I just tried using my 14in Dob the other night.

The Alt-Az movement was too stiff for me to keep the target in the ROI.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics