•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Replacement tripod for orion astroview eq mount?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sipster

sipster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pa. U.S.A

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:25 PM

Does anyone  know of a good heavy duty tripod that would work with a old orion astroview  eq mount? I had this year's ago and the mount is fairly  heavy and fine, but it came with a cheap aluminum  tripod that eventually  started  breaking. I have a tv85 on an ES  twilight  1 now which is fine. If I bought a 110 to 115mm  scope that takes me from 6 lbs to 10 to 15lbs , I don't know how the Twilight  will fair. I thought  maybe if I found  a good tripod that works  with the astroview  eq, that would be good. Orion  only rated it for 12 lbs for some reason , and I'm thinking  it's the cheesy tripod. It's a heavy mount. Any thoughts folks?

#2 John Carlini

John Carlini

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern Wyoming

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:04 PM

The AstroView is made for Orion by Synta. So, equivalent tripod bases should work, including Skywatcher EQ 3-2 and the Celestron CG-4. The AstroView looks very similar to the CG-4 but the weight load is different. The CG-4 is rated at 20 pounds since they installed bearings on both axis and put steel tube legs on the base. So, you can probably find a beefier Skywatcher or Celestron tripod base on eBay or some of the Astro vendors. Steel tubular tripods are much more sturdier than the retractable aluminum ones.

Edited by John Carlini, 13 July 2020 - 10:24 PM.

• sipster likes this

#3 mdbradshaw

mdbradshaw

Vendor - Axis Squared LLC

• Vendors
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:14 PM

The AstroView is made for Orion by Synta. So, equivalent tripod bases should work, including Skywatcher EQ 3-2 and the Celestron CG-4. The AstroView looks very similar to the CG-4 but the weight load is different. The CG-4 is rated at 20 pounds since they installed bearings on both axis and put steel tube legs on the base. So, you can probably find a beefier Skywatcher or Celestron tripod base on eBay or some of the Astro vendors. Steel tubular tripods are much more sturdier than the retractable aluminum ones.

The Astroview is exactly the same as a CG-4 (well, it's black instead of white...) and neither has a bearing anywhere inside anywhere.  The main difference is the tripod, the CG-4 1.75 inch tubular tripod is about 1 million times stronger than that extruded aluminum flop monster than the Astroview came with.  :)  About 1 million, give or take.

• sipster likes this

#4 John Carlini

John Carlini

Mariner 2

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:58 AM

The Astroview is exactly the same as a CG-4 (well, it's black instead of white...) and neither has a bearing anywhere inside anywhere.  The main difference is the tripod, the CG-4 1.75 inch tubular tripod is about 1 million times stronger than that extruded aluminum flop monster than the Astroview came with.  smile.gif  About 1 million, give or take.

Thanks for the correction Mike! I had read an early CN thread on the CG-4 about bearings but it appears wrong since you service the beasts. So, the bottom line is that the weight load difference between an AstroView and CG-4 is mainly due to the tripod base? If that is the case, the OP could probably find a steel tube base on either eBay or the classifieds. I've seen them listed in the past and actually bought a CG-4 mount head without the tripod from eBay.

• sipster likes this

#5 mdbradshaw

mdbradshaw

Vendor - Axis Squared LLC

• Vendors
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for the correction Mike! I had read an early CN thread on the CG-4 about bearings but it appears wrong since you service the beasts. So, the bottom line is that the weight load difference between an AstroView and CG-4 is mainly due to the tripod base? If that is the case, the OP could probably find a steel tube base on either eBay or the classifieds. I've seen them listed in the past and actually bought a CG-4 mount head without the tripod from eBay.

I've never looked at the capacity specs, but if the CG-4 is listed higher then yes, it's because of the tripod.  It's also possible but VERY unlikely that Celestron speced a different grade of plastic for the bearing disks inside, maybe they flex less, but that's so unlikely I won't even bother checking into it.  

#6 John Carlini

John Carlini

Mariner 2

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:17 AM

I've never looked at the capacity specs, but if the CG-4 is listed higher then yes, it's because of the tripod.  It's also possible but VERY unlikely that Celestron speced a different grade of plastic for the bearing disks inside, maybe they flex less, but that's so unlikely I won't even bother checking into it.  

Thanks again Mike! The AstroView is advertised with a max load of 12 lbs and the CG-4 is advertised with a max load of 20 lbs. I was mystified when I saw the same Synta mount with two specs. It makes me wonder what process is used to determine the load capacities...

Update: After looking at a bunch of disassembly photo threads, it looks like the ball bearings on the CG-4 were on the worm gear shafts only. That probably explains all the advertising hype I've seen from various vendors. Apparently, some earlier AstroView mounts used plastic bushings and rubber O-rings on the worm gear shafts.

Edited by John Carlini, 14 July 2020 - 11:36 AM.

#7 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:47 PM

Manfrotto 475B maybe.  (See your other thread re: TW1 exgtension.)

• sipster likes this

#8 sipster

sipster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pa. U.S.A

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:47 PM

Thank you for the ideas. Maybe I can find a CG-4 tripod for sale.

• John Carlini likes this

#9 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:53 AM

Here you go:

https://www.cloudyni...nd-cg5-tripods/

• John Carlini likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics