•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

USB Hub: Help with Configuring Com Ports For ASCOM Interface

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dark_Knight18

Dark_Knight18

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pendleton, Oregon 97801

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:32 PM

New to astrophotography. I have a Surface Pro that I am using to run APT, ASCOM, SharpCap Pro etc.  I purchased a USB to a 4 port USB Hub. The problem I am encountering is when I go to assign a com number in my EQMOD ASCOM Setup, the only com number that it denotes is the Com number that my camera is registered to.

My question is: Can I use the same com number that is designated for my camera or do I need to create a virtual com port for my EQMOD ASCOM Setup for controlling my scope?

Thanks

Brian 

#2 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• Loc: just outside of Toronto

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:37 PM

Try this article on how to reassign Com ports

https://www.startech...-number-windows

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

#3 Frabog

Frabog

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Kontich Belguim

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:42 AM

Best
ASCOM is the software that allows your other software such as APT and Sharpcap  Pro to communicate with your devices: EQMOD is specifically designed to allow EQ mounts to work with ASCOM and the rest because they don't have their own software, for example, the mounting of  Sky-watcher  and Orion: so connect your 4 port hub to the computer and connect your mount to the hub very important usage always the same port starts EQMOD and there is the ability to have the USB port scan automatically do this without other users are connected sometimes this does not work and one has to look at the settings of the computer which USB com port is used how you do this I do not explain there is enough information to find if you have found the right USB com port fill this in now at the settings of EQMOD and test your mount on the Operation: Now connect your other users like your camera and test it on the operation and as  mentioned always use the same USB com port on the hub for every user connected this wants blessing on a different USB port than that of the mount  make if possible a schedule so you can remember this to avoid problems in the future.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics