•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter at opposition July 14, C9.25

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:08 PM

I've struggled to get anything other than mushy images for Jupiter this year, even while having some luck with Saturn, which is only slightly higher in the sky.  This is the best so far, and would count as a pretty good image with my old C6, but it's just OK for a C9.25.  But it's an opposition image, and has Io covering its own shadow, so seemed worth posting.  In fact, it's the closest I've ever got to imaging Jupiter at the moment of opposition.  According to earthsky.org, opposition occurred at 8:00 UT, and the midpoint of this image was 8:03 UT. 

Jupiter was 20.5° above the horizon when this was captured.

2020-07-14-0803_5bs.png

Nexstar Evolution 9.25 scope with 2x Barlow and ADC.  ASI224MC camera.

• Sunspot, Kenny V., John Boudreau and 14 others like this

#2 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:14 PM

I watched Jupiter rise last night and it was so big and bright, I swear I could almost see the spherical shape with my naked eyes.

The disk and moons were easy to see in my 10x50 binos.  

#3 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:18 PM

I watched Jupiter rise last night and it was so big and bright, I swear I could almost see the spherical shape with my naked eyes.

The disk and moons were easy to see in my 10x50 binos.  

I think I remember reading that at 50", Jupiter can almost be made out as a disc with the naked eye.  Well, not my naked eye, but presumably someone with very good vision.

#4 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: behind you.

Posted 14 July 2020 - 04:58 PM

very nice shot , thanks .

#5 yock1960

yock1960

Aurora

• Loc: (Crossroad of clouds) Ohio, USA

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:28 PM

It's a tough year....again....and for what it's worth, I'm still snoring at 20 degrees elevation!  I'd run several like this through Winjupos, might spruce it up a bit.

Steve 

• KiwiRay likes this

#6 Foc

Foc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:45 PM

I have a much higher Jupiter, but seeing was mush when I looked at opposition time.  It may be better tonight though.

Edited by Foc, 14 July 2020 - 06:46 PM.

#7 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:55 PM

It's a tough year....again....and for what it's worth, I'm still snoring at 20 degrees elevation!  I'd run several like this through Winjupos, might spruce it up a bit.

Steve 

My usual process is to use WinJupos to combine images, but I don't know how to fix moon transits.  For example, for this one I did capture two videos, but when combining the stacks I get a double image of Io, so I only ended up doing final processing on the best of the two.

Edited by KiwiRay, 14 July 2020 - 06:58 PM.

#8 DMach

DMach

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:26 PM

Nice capture Ray, interesting to see the near complete lack of shadow!

#9 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:01 AM

Nice capture Ray, interesting to see the near complete lack of shadow!

Yeah, I'd actually forgotten it was opposition, although I knew it was close.  When I first looked through the eyepiece, I saw Io start to transit and was looking for its shadow...but it wasn't there.  It still took my sleepy brain a few moments to work out why.

#10 DMach

DMach

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:35 AM

Yeah, I'd actually forgotten it was opposition, although I knew it was close.  When I first looked through the eyepiece, I saw Io start to transit and was looking for its shadow...but it wasn't there.  It still took my sleepy brain a few moments to work out why.

Sleepy brain ... I hear you on that one!!

#11 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:46 AM

Sleepy brain ... I hear you on that one!!

It's not going to get better quickly either - the forecast for the next two weeks is excellent.  At least fairly soon I'll be able to wait up for the gas giants instead of wake up for them, while Mars is best just before sunrise for a little while longer.  Right, time to set the alarm for 12:30 am again and get a good solid hour's sleep...

• DMach likes this

#12 yock1960

yock1960

Aurora

• Loc: (Crossroad of clouds) Ohio, USA

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:03 AM

My usual process is to use WinJupos to combine images, but I don't know how to fix moon transits.  For example, for this one I did capture two videos, but when combining the stacks I get a double image of Io, so I only ended up doing final processing on the best of the two.

Can be fixed in Photoshop.  It's extra work though and for images that are less than a certain quality,  I probably wouldn't bother. 

Well, the imaging 'gods' have punished me for my less than sensitive post. lol.gif Uncovered the scope this morning to find the camera cable bent 90 degrees at the camera! Must've gotten hung up on the cover, broken neck...'he's dead Jim'! bawling.gif gaah.gif

Scrambled around for the 120MC...why is everything so green and dim! Well, partly it's the dang clouds and partly...I don't know why. Adjusting red sensitivity sliders made green histogram change...belushi.gif . Then I went for the 120MM, dim, clouds...I give up!

I think the seeing was decent,  thru the clouds..oh well. Hopefully the 224MC is okay. If not, time to upgrade.

Steve 

#13 dhammy

dhammy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Puerto Rico

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:17 AM

You were able to get Jupiter at opposition which was more than me so well done - weather failed me here bawling.gif

Well, the imaging 'gods' have punished me for my less than sensitive post. lol.gif Uncovered the scope this morning to find the camera cable bent 90 degrees at the camera! Must've gotten hung up on the cover, broken neck...'he's dead Jim'! bawling.gif gaah.gif

Oh wow, that's bad luck. Hopefully the damage was to the cable and not the camera port. 

• KiwiRay likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics